Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix plug-in on MacOS - permanent spinner

purusha

Your welcome - this works for all kinds of uses I am using studio one 3 with helix native would never go back to guitar rig 4 doesn't compare to native imo

I used a presonus high quality interface it sits in the closet doesnt come close to a kontrol rig 3 sound quality wise and I dont think a Focusrite is much different

I can also add two expression pedals to RK3 - I also added colored plastic press on foot switche toppers work great and just snap on

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOOER-10pcs-Footswitch-Topper-Protector-Colorful-Plastic-Bumpers-C3A6/223060060644?hash=item33ef6a69e4:rk:1:pf:0

As for realistic tone I had same issue what I did was switch back and forth driver asio - windows etc then back to RK3 asio driver then it worked fine and sounded as it should

I have the drivers if you are using a pc and can help you thru setting things up a mac you would have to figure that out but should be pretty straight forward

Also noticed you have to re-calibrate quite a bit between DAW  and RK3  midi controller - that was huge in figuring out why things were not working

For instance I would midi learn in studio one - wasn't working went back to control editor software (driver) back in DAW all good

Let me know if your using a pc

Heres one more option - I bought it but on the pc side of things the midi side of things was lacking could not get it to work with reaper and sent it back before trying it with studio one so not sure maybe it would have worked well with that DAW 

Sounded very good as good as RK3 - really wanted to keep it but midi assignment was a real pia - I think it was made for a mac more than a pc even software looked mac to me - I would just go with RK3 its tried and proven to be an excellent piece of hardware - and the wah pedal on RK3 is awesome - Icon V-GIG was very hard to press - action on factory RK3 is great compared to my external expression pedals

https://www.amazon.com/Icon-V-GIG-Guitar-interface-Cubase/dp/B00709TN20/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&qid=1545076628&sr=8-40&keywords=guitar+interface

Ya, with the Mac I am pretty much stuck with whatever driver they are providing.  With the RK3 do you program it to the DAW and the DAW to the Helix plugin? Or does it program directly to the plugin? Not sure how this works since I've never had to deal with this. My only experience with this sort of thing is this: I have a USB Alesis keyboard controller that Logic Pro located automatically and I then found that most of its controls were allocated to the DAW which seemed pretty clever and was a real time save. I made a few personal changes here and there and it works great. But, it sounds like the RK3 would have to be addressed manually (?) Glad to hear that it also works well for an audio interface. This might be a real bonus! I really appreciate your help, by the way.  I am always ready to tackle anything as that's how we learn so I will keep an eye on that one in the Ebay auction and elsewhere! Thanks again.

I just hit midi learn button in studio one then move a pedal or a switch on my rig kontrol then in helix native I move a slider or right mouse click learn on say a wah program I have and it knows what to do - I havent documented how it works exactly because it just worked I need to try fresh over and over to see how its exactly working - I didnt pay attention because it worked so easily in studio one - in reaper not easy for me anyway - I can show you screenshot of rig controller editor see below I think this is the base setup before you start trying to setup a daw notice the midi numbers - I am not good with all this stuff like others here but I know this will get you in the right direction - go for the rig kontrol 3 before you cant anymore - surprised there is a few still available - they rock

You also have to make sure control editor is running first in background before entering DAW or board wont work

rig-kontrol.jpg

If you buy one of these we get into more detail about those values there is a different value for each switch - let me know and I will help you out - notice value 84 (BUTTON 4) above that value will be intervals of 16 - meaning the button before this one has a value of 52 (BUTTON 3)

Also one other thing this is for windows and its amazing makes your onboard sound card like its on steroids - its amazing and free - this helps huge - maybe there is something like it for a mac search around - sound was very low with no oomf boring with this I could add an amp and a bunch of other stuff to play with even with my headphone amps I use this :)

Wow, this is great stuff and sounds like a perfect solution. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. I will get my my grubby little mitts on one of these units and will get back with you.  I promise not to allow this to fall under the heading of "No good deed goes unpunished" but I may have a general question or two. While we're on the subject, do you have these buttons replicate exactly what the buttons on a Helix floor unit do or do you have your own personal setup? I just ask because there are so many patches made for the Helix floor unit but they don't really translate straight across to Native due to its lack of hardware buttons. Just curious and I am VERY new to this. I didn't understand you last short post: "Mac stuff here - i would load some up and see if it helps - should "

On a personal note: Do you wear tights and a cape? 'Cause I feel like you just swooped down to help me out of a jam :) Hey, do you have a Vette?

• Like 1

Its my pleasure I know how frustrating this can be and I dont want you to have to go thru it also - had a lot of help from guys here especially sounddog so that helped me greatly

Personal setup I dont have  a floor helix - I invested more in my headphone amps because I mostly use a pc and native sounds as good as floor and Rig Kontrol 3 is powerful - I just run out of headphone jack in RK3 into my amps with know tuned up 100%

Right now I have a wah pedal setup on RK3 (KUASSA wah vst) works as a global wah on all my native presets no fussing around (included pedal on controller) and a volume external expression pedal - cheap money plug it right into RK3 - have another expression pedal but not sure what I will do with it  as I have another opening on RG3 if I want to (there is 2 inputs for external pedals)

I have 6 buttons setup for each individual snapshots - havent seen more than that yet on purchased presets so have 2 more buttons available 

Also RK3 pedal has 2 options - there is a button under it to be 2 foot pedals not using it right now its a bit hard to make it switch between for 2 pedal assignments and dont want to break it

Mac stuff meant free addon software that acts like an amp/equalizer my onboard sound card on my laptop is to low not loud enough with free apo software I can add an amp in software and all kinds of other stuff to play with now sound is plenty loud enough - I can add more than one amp in software but only one should be used and then play with equalizer

Do search on youtube for a mac software that can do that - world of difference - you may be even happy with your current gear after finding a nice software that will bump up quality and loudness of you computer - i told you to search that phrase because forum would not let me upload a link for you from youtube

I do have a vette and here it is :) thanks for all the kind comments - no worries I will get you thru all of this - I highly suggest you getting studio one 3 for Mac its great - I can help you easier with that - had no luck with Reaper - well some but it was a pia and forgot all of that now :)

This is my 10th Vette  :) probably last its a keeper and the new one coming out in a few years will be out of my price range

smaller11.jpg

Yes! I have been wanting to find a way to address the tinny sound of my otherwise great headphones when monitoring my DAW. It all sounds pretty good through my trusty NS10 monitors and power amp but thin and lifeless through the headphone jack on my Scarlett audio unit. I will start looking for an app solution. Is the headphone output from the RK3 pretty good?

Your Corvette is spectacular!  That's the perfect color combo in my opinion. I still have my all black C6 Z51 3LT from '08.  30K miles so its still like new and I don't drive it enough to justify the bump. I meant to mention earlier that Soundog also helped me out a lot.  Your right. There are some great people here that are willing to pitch in and help out.  Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I also had the same problem and tried everything that I could do. Came to this forum , solutions were pretty much that I had already tried myself. I was just about to give up but then it hit me up.

Ok, GUYS THIS ACTUALLY WORKS :-

1. Switch off your WIFI/Internet

2. Open your DAW

3. Insert(open) Helix Native Plugin. The Helix GUI will appear saying can't access the server.

4. That's when you turn on your internet.

5. And enter your details and it will be up and running.

Cheers,

Chet,

Melbourne, Australia

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2019 at 6:53 PM, chetlee said:

Hi guys, I also had the same problem and tried everything that I could do. Came to this forum , solutions were pretty much that I had already tried myself. I was just about to give up but then it hit me up.

Ok, GUYS THIS ACTUALLY WORKS :-

1. Switch off your WIFI/Internet

2. Open your DAW

3. Insert(open) Helix Native Plugin. The Helix GUI will appear saying can't access the server.

4. That's when you turn on your internet.

5. And enter your details and it will be up and running.

Cheers,

Chet,

Melbourne, Australia

Chetlee's solution worked for me. I am using Ableton Live. Turn off your wifi when you need to use helix. Then turn it back on to log in. Which is ridiculous.

I was having the same problem: technicolor spinning ball of death which mandated a force quit of Live every time I tried to add helix to the track, or to open helix in a track in which I had already placed it. Tried lots of stuff (re-installs, etc) with no luck. Turns out "turn off your wifi, load helix, turn back on wifi" was the solution.

On 1/7/2019 at 12:03 PM, benvigil said:

Do you have to do this every day?

Yes. Every time I close down my DAW and re-open, actually.

And I have PAID for the FULL VERSION (only USD 100 though, because I own the floor unit). Super annoying.

-The Douche

• 5 months later...
On 11/11/2018 at 8:20 PM, benvigil said:

I created a little Automatior application to remove that line from the file for me (attached).

I suppose if you scheduled it to run daily you would only need to re-login once a day when the plugin tries to check in with the L6 servers. Removing that token doesn't automatically cause the plugin to "phone home", it just means that when it DOES phone home, you'll have to log in.

Native De-Beach.zip

This worked. I cannot believe it! Thank you!!!!!

I went to that folder and there was no file there but I tried your tool anyway and it worked!

Rant time:

Two weeks ago I bought a bunch of gear for a project I am starting in August and I passed up a LT or Stomp and Native combo for a Focusrite 3rd gen and Positive Grid Bias 2. I doubt I will buy Helix Native unless I end up buying Helix hardware. that won't happen for at least a year once I get this batch of gear paid off.

Line 6 literally lost a sale they may or may not get back in the future.

• 11 months later...

Sorry to bring this topic back from the dead but... Is this still an unresolved issue with the Helix Native software for Mac users?

I got the free trial version and had this same error happen to me the second time I tried to open it up. The workaround described in this topic (deleting the Session Token number) worked fine, but I'm really not very enthusiastic about spending money on bugged software. Specially if it happens just the same for paid users.The problem was reported in October 2018, if it's still unresolved by now (July 2020) this doesn't give a very optimistic message about Line 6's commitment to it  - even though it DOES sound great, what's the use if it breaks my sessions every time?

I hope they got that fixed. Will appreciate any feedback on this, even after so much time...

22 hours ago, yuriamorim said:

Is this still an unresolved issue with the Helix Native software for Mac users?

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT!

Well, the simple answer from me is, I have had HX Native installed on my iMac Retina 5K since mid August 2017 and it works just fine - it is used almost every daily along with the (now nearly 5 year old) Helix floor unit. Solid stuff. YMMV.

In the earlier versions there were some problems with Native wanting to "phone home" constantly and causing some grief, as noted in the posts above.

The only issue I have ever really had was when I switched from the demo version to the authorised full version it refused to accept the authorisation for a while until the demo expired, see thread.

6 minutes ago, soundog said:

+1. Working fine here (on Mojave using Logic Pro 10.4.7). All stable.

And version 1.93 is available for download 

This update improves the stability of Helix Native and is recommended for all users.

• Fixes a crash that would occur when loading a preset with a missing IR

• 5 weeks later...