Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dual Input For Stereo Instruments

earthgene

Hi Line6 friends!  I am new to the forum as I am contemplating the purchase of a LIne 6 HD500x. I play a Chapman Stick which runs two signals, one output for the top 5 strings and another output for the bottom 5 strings. My question is this:

Can I use the Line 6 HD500x to run both sides of my instrument on separate signal paths with independent control of each chain of effects?

I have read that this is possible using either the aux in or an effects loop. Can anyone shed some light on that?

Thanks in advance for your time - I am hopeful this can work as I have seen other players utilize this pedal in such a way - before I drop $500+ on it, I want to make sure that is the case.

:)

Yes you can do that. You don't need to use the FX loop. Just connect your chapman outputs to the guitar and aux inputs on the pod and select these inputs as input 1 and Input 2 in your pod preset. When you actually have the pod to play with you can come back here for more info on how to keep your two paths completely independent in terms of the signal processing.

Just to extent silverhead's answer - if you want independent signal paths you can't use the FX Loop - it allows a Stereo signal to be processed down a single path (until the first mono effect), but it is not possible to split L & R for separate processing

the effects loop is stereo, you just need to use an insert cable in the return.

Just to extent silverhead's answer - if you want independent signal paths you can't use the FX Loop - it allows a Stereo signal to be processed down a single path (until the first mono effect), but it is not possible to split L & R for separate processing

I agree it is stereo, and I use it as such to receive inputs from my Motif XF6 which I play as well as my JTV 69 (sometimes both simultaneously if you use HD500 switches to send MIDI Note On), but unless I am missing a trick you can't route FX Left down path A and FX Right down path B to give separate processing as required for "on separate signal paths with independent control of each chain of effects".  

It would be nice to know if you can  ;)

• 2 months later...

Yeah, that is exactly what I am trying to do. So, a simple idea on that would be to have compression on the left hand (guitar input) and delay on the right (aux input). Ideally, I would like to be able to pan those left and right and have control over each side / chain. Really hoping that is an option, but from what Rewolf48 says, that is a no go... :huh:

Yeah, that is exactly what I am trying to do. So, a simple idea on that would be to have compression on the left hand (guitar input) and delay on the right (aux input). Ideally, I would like to be able to pan those left and right and have control over each side / chain. Really hoping that is an option, but from what Rewolf48 says, that is a no go... :huh:

I believe Rewolf48 was just clarifying that you cannot feed both Path A and Path B with the fx loop return L and R.

As Silverhead said, you can have separate signal processing if you use the input guitar and input aux jacks and set up your Input 1 to take just guitar and input 2 to take aux. The signal processing paths are complex to explain if you don't have a unit, but they are very flexible.

You can do what you want, and there are plenty of people on this forum who can help you achieve it. Search this forum for HD500 Routing if you want more background info. There is a very detailed post by peraperas which describes the routing options and signal path in great detail. Here is the link:

http://line6.com/support/topic/2033-pod-hd-500-500x-new-routing-schematics/?hl=%2Bhd500+%2Brouting