Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I install and use Native Offline (Demo or full)?

Thurston9

You cannot use it a standalone program/app. It is a VST plugin so it's meant to be used in a DAW. There are free programs out there that will run VST plugins alone but none of them (that I tried) were very user friendly. Here's one that I haven't tried that looks promising.

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/free-vst-host

1 hour ago, brue58ski said:

You cannot use it a standalone program/app. It is a VST plugin so it's meant to be used in a DAW. There are free programs out there that will run VST plugins alone but none of them (that I tried) were very user friendly. Here's one that I haven't tried that looks promising.

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/free-vst-host

Thanks but what I'm asking is can you install and use it (as a plugin, I use reaper) without an Internet connection?  

Oh wait. Not sure about installing. You definitely have to download it from somewhere so obviously you have to be connected somehow to get it. I'm going to guess you do have to register it in some way online before you can use it. Once it's installed, I have run it offline. Just not sure about the install procedure. But, again, I'm pretty sure you have to be online to install it. I'm old and foggy. I don't quite remember.

Yes, you need to be online when you authorize the plug-in, but after authorization you do NOT have to be online to use it. I can't remember how the demo behaves (whether the demo time-out is stored on you computer or at the Line 6 website).

Curious. I have authorized my Helix Native but still seem to have to be connected to the Internet to use it.  I don't think it should be this way - I think it should be as soundog and brue58ski say - online for authorization but OK offline after that.. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong (or not doing) though. I'm on Windows 10.

@silverhead ... I just double checked and I can definately run HXN with no internet (on a Mac). Maybe something is amiss with some sort of authorization file. You could check with Line 6, or maybe back up your presets (if necessary), de-authorize, do a fresh reinstall, and then reauthorize. Page 5 & 6 of the Pilot's Guide covers authorizing and de-authorizing.

15 hours ago, soundog said:

Yes, you need to be online when you authorize the plug-in, but after authorization you do NOT have to be online to use it.

I would have expected it to be like you are suggesting, but that is not what I am experiencing. 

Even after authorization, I cannot load a new instance of Helix Native if my DAW is offline.

OK, after a quick check and test .......

I am fully authorized for Helix Native  on my Windows 10 computer/DAW.

While connected to the Internet I have no problem working with Helix Native (using Cakewalk by Bandlab, not that this should matter). With DAW/Native running I disabled my internet connection. While disconnected I was able to use Helix Native with no issues - loaded a new setlist and assigned/edited different presets to the track. Playback worked normally.

I then closed the DAW session and restarted it. Helix Native failed to work and issued the usual message about failing to launch the DSP engine.

Conclusion: On Windows 10 using Cakewalk Helix Native requires an internet connection to start but then can operate without it.

EDIT: A further test using Reaper showed the same results so the DAW doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. Seems to be either a general Win10 issue or a specific issue with my installation. The detailed error message is:

"Failed to connect to DSP engine. (Device has not been initialized properly. code - 8201) "

Can other Win10 users confirm this behaviour or are you able to launch Helix Native in a DAW without an internet connection??

That sux. Yeah, it would be good to pin this down. Platform? OS? DAW? WTF. Requiring an internet connection to use a plugin after its authorized is a huge no-no in plug-in land.

Found a gearslutz thread where some were having this problem, but others were not .... but there was no conclusion re platform, os, or daw cause. Also found this related, older L6 forum thread that may have clues:

It's been my only gripe about Native - as noted above you have to be online to open it, once running you can pull the plug.  My DAW is typically offline, I use a USB dongle when I need to update/autho something.  So I open my DAW, plug in my dongle, open Native, then unplug.  Annoying as hell, and I wish they'd change it.

BTW - Native is totally worth it, not dissing the software.  But this one choice was kinda lame...

• 2 months later...
On 10/31/2018 at 9:56 AM, silverhead said:

Can other Win10 users confirm this behaviour or are you able to launch Helix Native in a DAW without an internet connection??

Sorry, late to reply but the behavior you detail is exactly what I see with Windows 10 using Presonus Studio One. 

On 10/31/2018 at 11:38 AM, brue58ski said:

Well I am able to run it and not be connected to the internet. I'm using a VST player called VST Host, Sonar X3 DAW and this is on a computer running Windows 7. When I get home I'll try it on my Windows 10 computer.

This suggests that it is Windows 10 specific... 

19 hours ago, Thurston9 said:

Any new updates on this?  Really want to get the plugin and can put my DAW online to authorize but can't leave it online every time I need to use it.  Using Windows 7.

According to "Brue58ski" Windows 7 only needs an initial activation then runs fine when offline. 

On Windows 10 you need to be online whenever you START your session, but then you can take the system offline to do your work. 

36 minutes ago, codamedia said:

This suggests that it is Windows 10 specific... 

According to "Brue58ski" Windows 7 only needs an initial activation then runs fine when offline. 

On Windows 10 you need to be online whenever you START your session, but then you can take the system offline to do your work. 

Can anyone else confirm what Brue58ski is seeing with Windows 7?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klangmaler said:

Helix Native needs an installed and active network adapter (even if it is offline).

Obviously, the computer activation is dependent / related to that.

Discussion some time ago:

https://line6.com/support/topic/29053-helix-native-internet-dependency/?tab=comments#comment-226380

Thanks, just what I was looking for

1 hour ago, klangmaler said:

Besides, Helix Native discussion has its own thread:

https://line6.com/support/forum/90-helix-native/

And thanks again, didn't think to look for a separate forum.