Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native freezes Cubase 9.5

CryoHeart

Hi.

I just bought Helix Native as a Helix Floor owner.

I downloaded and installed it and when I clicked "Authorize this computer" it simply froze alongside with the entire cubase.

Now every time I try to relaunch it it simply freezes when I click on the Helix Native plugin. It won't start and Cubase just freezes completely.

How can I solve this issue?

Please help!

14 minutes ago, CryoHeart said:

Hi.

I just bought Helix Native as a Helix Floor owner.

I downloaded and installed it and when I clicked "Authorize this computer" it simply froze alongside with the entire cubase.

Now every time I try to relaunch it it simply freezes when I click on the Helix Native plugin. It won't start and Cubase just freezes completely.

How can I solve this issue?

Please help!

Hi CryoHeart,

A little more info could help with this. What computer and OS, version of Cubase etc.

For the moment removing HXN, restarting the computer and reinstalling Native has got to be worth trying first.

Oh, yeah - of course you need to be connected to the internet to authorise you copy of Helix Native, make sure there is not an issue with your virus protection, firewall or whatever that may be causing a problem.

Hope this helps.

Hello Datacommando.

I'm currently using Windows 7 64bit and Cubase 9.5. I just tried installing it on my laptop that has windows 10 and it worked fine on it.

But my desktop has the problem and it's my main workstation.

I'll try what you said and report back.

Thank you!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Hi CryoHeart,

A little more info could help with this. What computer and OS, version of Cubase etc.

For the moment removing HXN, restarting the computer and reinstalling Native has got to be worth trying first.

Oh, yeah - of course you need to be connected to the internet to authorise you copy of Helix Native, make sure there is not an issue with your virus protection, firewall or whatever that may be causing a problem.

Hope this helps.

I'm afraid that didn't work.

I reinstalled after an uninstallation and restart and once again it froze as soon as I clicked "Authorize this computer".

Any other way of solving this?

2 minutes ago, CryoHeart said:

I'm afraid that didn't work.

I reinstalled after an uninstallation and restart and once again it froze as soon as I clicked "Authorize this computer".

Any other way of solving this?

That’s very strange - it will authorise on your laptop, but not on your desktop!

If you’re sure that nothing is blocking your desktop computer from connecting to your Line 6 account, then I’m a a loss to think what it could be.

I’ll have a dig around and see if I can find a solution, but can’t guarantee anything.

Meanwhile, some other user on here may chime in with a fix.

If you resolve this, please advise.

Good luck

6 minutes ago, datacommando said:

That’s very strange - it will authorise on your laptop, but not on your desktop!

If you’re sure that nothing is blocking your desktop computer from connecting to your Line 6 account, then I’m a a loss to think what it could be.

I’ll have a dig around and see if I can find a solution, but can’t guarantee anything.

Meanwhile, some other user on here may chime in with a fix.

If you resolve this, please advise.

Good luck

I just double checked the whole Firewall settings from blocking anything related to Cubase or Line 6. Couldn't find any restrictions.

But It makes sense that something might be blocking Helix Native from authorizing my computer.

Please keep me updated with anything you might find out.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, CryoHeart said:

I just double checked the whole Firewall settings from blocking anything related to Cubase or Line 6. Couldn't find any restrictions.

But It makes sense that something might be blocking Helix Native from authorizing my computer.

Please keep me updated with anything you might find out.

Thanks!

Hi, again,

One thing I just realised, in your first post you said that as a Helix Floor owner, you had now purchased Native.

Can I ask, did you previously have demo version of HXN installed and working on your desktop computer?

If you did, something may have got screwed up because IIRC the demo needs to be authorised. If you have a demo version you could try to use that to de-authorise the machine and start over with a clean install?

I guess that now you will tell me you never had a demo copy!

Doh!

I shall investigate further.

8 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Hi, again,

One thing I just realised, in your first post you said that as a Helix Floor owner, you had now purchased Native.

Can I ask, did you previously have demo version of HXN installed and working on your desktop computer?

If you did, something may have got screwed up because IIRC the demo needs to be authorised. If you have a demo version you could try to use that to de-authorise the machine and start over with a clean install?

I guess that now you will tell me you never had a demo copy!

Doh!

I shall investigate further.

I hate to say it but I never installed a demo copy of HXN. A friend of mine installed it on his computer and I came to him with my floor unit and we did a comparsion.

It sounded exactly the same and that's why I decided to buy it right away.

I really have no clue why the heck it won't even show any error messege. It just freezes the whole DAW!

Shoot me for free HXN! One time offer!

6 minutes ago, CryoHeart said:

I hate to say it but I never installed a demo copy of HXN. A friend of mine installed it on his computer and I came to him with my floor unit and we did a comparsion.

It sounded exactly the same and that's why I decided to buy it right away.

I really have no clue why the heck it won't even show any error messege. It just freezes the whole DAW!

Shoot me for free HXN! One time offer!

Oh, well. It was just a thought that it could have been a clash with the demo version. I’m a Mac based and I had issues with the full version being “bugged” by the demo until the trail period ended. That was way back when Native was first available and it’s supposed to be fixed now.

Anyhow, I’m not sure if this has any relevance to your situation, but I found this as a “fix it” where using a demo of another DAW is used to launch HNX and authorise it. Then the substitute DAW is removed, and the plug in works in the usual DAW. Strange but true - check it out:

https://line6.com/support/topic/29105-reaper-crashes-when-loading-helix-native/

22 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Oh, well. It was just a thought that it could have been a clash with the demo version. I’m a Mac based and I had issues with the full version being “bugged” by the demo until the trail period ended. That was way back when Native was first available and it’s supposed to be fixed now.

Anyhow, I’m not sure if this has any relevance to your situation, but I found this as a “fix it” where using a demo of another DAW is used to launch HNX and authorise it. Then the substitute DAW is removed, and the plug in works in the usual DAW. Strange but true - check it out:

https://line6.com/support/topic/29105-reaper-crashes-when-loading-helix-native/

I tried opening Helix Native using a VST Host app. It still freezes and now the host window got frozen as well and won't respond.

No clue why it's happening...

3 hours ago, CryoHeart said:

I tried opening Helix Native using a VST Host app. It still freezes and now the host window got frozen as well and won't respond.

No clue why it's happening...

Damn! I thought that solution would be too easy!

O.K. something else that occurred to me while I was away for the past couple of hours. Not being a Windows regular user, I realised that you mention that HXN will function on your laptop running Windows version 10. The issue appear when using Windows 7. This may appear to be a ludicrous comment, but as there are specific versions of Native for each of your operating systems, have you verified that the correct version is being installed. Also, as you say that you have only recently purchased HXN, would it be worth downloading an earlier iteration of the software and see if that functions correctly. Try installing v1.60 "Spring Clean" first or even v1.50

As I understand it there are 2 versions of the Native VST plug-in, I don't know what difference there might be with VST3, or is that the one you have the problem with?

Still looking, while in the middle of cleaning and remixing some old tape transfers!

8 hours ago, datacommando said:

O.K. something else that occurred to me while I was away for the past couple of hours. Not being a Windows regular user, I realised that you mention that HXN will function on your laptop running Windows version 10. The issue appear when using Windows 7. This may appear to be a ludicrous comment, but as there are specific versions of Native for each of your operating systems, have you verified that the correct version is being installed. Also, as you say that you have only recently purchased HXN, would it be worth downloading an earlier iteration of the software and see if that functions correctly. Try installing v1.60 "Spring Clean" first or even v1.50

As I understand it there are 2 versions of the Native VST plug-in, I don't know what difference there might be with VST3, or is that the one you have the problem with?

Still looking, while in the middle of cleaning and remixing some old tape transfers!

Good thought.

I did install the VST3 version. I'll try to reinstall it with VST2 and see if it works. If it doesn't I'll try to install an earlier version.

I'm at work right now so I'll do that when I get home after a good morning sleep (I'm working nights).

I'll keep you updated.

22 hours ago, datacommando said:

I tried all of the above. I'm afraid none of that worked. I tried downgrading to 1.60 and using both VST3 and VST2 but it still freezes after I log in. Afterwards every time I launch it the host just freezes with the HXN.

I have no idea what causing this...

8 hours ago, CryoHeart said:

I tried all of the above. I'm afraid none of that worked. I tried downgrading to 1.60 and using both VST3 and VST2 but it still freezes after I log in. Afterwards every time I launch it the host just freezes with the HXN.

I have no idea what causing this...

Well, sorry to say, I have no idea why this is happening.

The only thing left that I can suggest is to raise a ticket with the support crew. They are usually quick to solve problems.

This is just so strange, that it works on one machine, but not on the main workstation.

Oh, yeah. There is one more thing which would be worth trying. If you post your dilemma on the Helix section of The Gear Page, or the Helix Family Page on Facebook, and mark it for the attention of Digital Igloo (Eric Klein) or Frank Ritchotte - that will definitely get a result. They are the main guys at Line 6 and you will find them there as L6 employees only occasionally show up on here.

Good luck, and sorry I couldn’t be more help.

5 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Well, sorry to say, I have no idea why this is happening.

The only thing left that I can suggest is to raise a ticket with the support crew. They are usually quick to solve problems.

This is just so strange, that it works on one machine, but not on the main workstation.

Oh, yeah. There is one more thing which would be worth trying. If you post your dilemma on the Helix section of The Gear Page, or the Helix Family Page on Facebook, and mark it for the attention of Digital Igloo (Eric Klein) or Frank Ritchotte - that will definitely get a result. They are the main guys at Line 6 and you will find them there as L6 employees only occasionally show up on here.

Good luck, and sorry I couldn’t be more help.

I definitely raise a support ticket on this one. It doesn't make any sense at all...

I'll also see if anyone on the Helix family group I'm in can help me out.

Thanks for the support!

• Thanks 1

Welp. Nothing can be fixed apparently...

Without any choice, I'm going to install windows 10 on my computer.

Gonna delete all my stuff on C:\ but I guess I need all my stuff to be supported by a working operating system.

I'm sorry to find out that HXN doesn't fully support Windows 7 when it says it does. I hope it will work fine after upgrading.

Thanks for the support!

Hey CryoHeart,

don't feel alone and maybe resist to install Windows 10, because I have a similar problem with Helix Native on Cubse 9.0.40 and Windows 10.

After the installation and registering it, everything worked fine, but now, as soon as I click on the "edit" button in the Cubase mixer to open the Helix GUI, Cubase crashes. The GUI is not working at all and not reacting to any input. Still, the Audio engine keeps running.

I tried to reinstall it and it helped for exactly ONE time. The next day, I open the same project and as soon as I open the GUI of Helix, Cubase crashes again.

This happened to me with the VST3 and VST 2 version. Nothing helps but another reinstall.

Funny thing is though: as long as you don't try to upen the GUI, Helix works fine, meaning all the sound coming out is definetly what I configured before.

Have you got eny answer from the support?

• Like 1

Kinda odd seeing this thread because I have the EXACT same problem running Presonus Studio One with Hellx Native on macOS! It will run perfectly across multiple launches for about a day (i.e. 24 hours), then it crashes the DAW.

However, I DID run it up the flagpole with L6 support and their only suggestion was to completely reinstall the DAW... which made no sense, because all plugin versions (AU, VST) crashed every DAW and VST host I tried it with.

But I happened upon a solution: after installation, and you use the VST for the first time, it creates a set of folders in your user directory. There is a preferences file that you need to edit. On macOS, it's located here:

~/Library/Application Support/Line 6/Helix Native/Helix Native.prefs

In that file, there is a key called "Session Token" -- if you close the DAW, open that file, remove that key and value, and save the file... everything works again... for 24 hours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey benvigil,

this works for me perfectly. Thank you very much for your help.

For Windows User, go to: C:\Users\{Your Username}\AppData\Roaming\Line 6\Helix Native and open the "Helix Native.prefs" with an text editor.

Then remove everything that is marked Yellow in the pic I added.

If you can't see the folder "AppDate" it is because it is hidden. In your Explorer Window, go on the top to "View", then to "Options" and there go to the rider "View" and search for Show Hidden Files and Folders in the List to activate the viewing of the hidden folder.

Helix Native Pref Rework.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm using Cubase 9.5, and after using Line 6 Helix Native for about 24 hours it started freezing Cubase every time I tried to open an instance of the insert. Cubase only becomes unresponsive when you try to open up a new instance of the Helix insert, or open an existing instance by clicking on the insert. But, like it says in this forum, all of the sounds still work in your existing projects.

Obviously, it's a huge problem for those affected, as you can't use Helix Native at all which isn't exactly ideal if you've spent (a lot of) money on the software. Given that the last post was over a month ago, has anyone seen a fix yet? Any help would be brilliant, thanks.

I'm using Windows 10

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same freezing issue. 

I'm using cubase 10 elements on windows 7 and it's the trial version of helix native I'm attempting to use, worked OK yesterday after install but today it freezes the daw as soon as I try to open the plugin, all other plugins work fine. 

I was hoping to demo some tones before shelling out for an LT

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I am Japanese.

Sorry for inappropriate English.

I found the only way to solve this problem.

That is to update from

helix native ver1.00 to 1.70 Uninstall your helix

Authenticate your computer with the LINE6 license manager

You can work around the problem

by starting 1.00, authenticating, and updating to 1.70.

I'm having problems with versions after 1.71
I hope this way will help you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all, I recently got a new notebook (ran native before that on my desktop without any issue) and came upon the same issue. Tried to solve it via Reaper which also crashed. Though via searching for this issue also in reference to reaper I found the following solution on the board (see link below). It seems to be working for me - thanks to the finder. Here is what I did following the instructions on said post:

- I install Visual C++ Redist as recommended

- Opened Helix Native via Reaper, performend an initial plugin login / authentication

- Openend Helix Native via Cubase - it worked smootly

HX Native / Win10 seem to have an odd behaviour crashing to load the initial login / authentication mask when VCredist ist not installed properly. This fix probably works without the workaround in Reaper but I can't guarantee. 

• Thanks 1