Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Signal Chain w/ External Pedals

edgesofworship

New overwhelmed Helix product owner here, so I am learning from scratch.  Not a whole lot of information out about HX Stomp yet, so I thought I would ask here about some signal chain considerations.  I am using this in an ampless situation as a church worship leader, so my main purpose is for the amp & cab modeling to go direct to FOH.  I plan to run acoustic and electric guitar.  My current conventional pedalboard chain is compressor - parametric eq & boost - overdrive - overdrive - volume pedal - delay - reverb.  Is there anything wrong with running the first part of my chain (comp, eq, drives, volume) in front of the Helix....so volume pedal out into the mono input on the HX?  So, my blocks within the stomp would start w/ the amp - misc effects x4 - Cab.  This way i don't have to use a volume block or an effects loop block for stuff I would already put in from of the amp.

There's nothing wrong with it as long as you like the sound of those effects prior to an amp.  I did that just the other day with a distortion pedal and a freeze pedal. The HX Stomp signal chain attempts (and in my opinion brilliantly succeeds) to mimic a real signal chain, so if you can picture those things being placed before a traditional amp and it working just fine, then it typically works here too before the HX Stomp's simulated amp.  

• 6 months later...

I hope somebody can answer my question. I am ready to buy HX Stomp.

I want to use my Strymon BigSky Reverb in Stereo, sound-wise what is better to place BigSky after HX Stomp or in its FX loop?

Thank you,

Henry

2 hours ago, henrykc said:

I hope somebody can answer my question. I am ready to buy HX Stomp.

I want to use my Strymon BigSky Reverb in Stereo, sound-wise what is better to place BigSky after HX Stomp or in its FX loop?

Thank you,

Henry

I kind of already answered this in the Stomp FAQ, but just to be clear, basing it solely on sound it doesn't matter where you place it.  If it were me, I would place it AFTER the Stomp because you free up DSP and blocks in the Stomp and can do other choices that way. 

You do get some additional control if you place it in the Stomp's FX loop, but personally, that's not worth it to me.  If I want more control I'd rather go the Midi route. 

Thank you!
I was leaning to keep delay and reverb after HX Stomp. With 6 blocks available only, and I want to run in stereo, I could use 4 blocks for (2 amps, 2 IRs), and two blocks left maybe for booster and overdrive/distortion.