Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Good dirty presets (vintage and modern) for P90s?

marmatkat

Hi Folks. I have a Hamer with Lollar P90s, and I haven't found a distorted tone I like. I play rhythm in a cover band, so I need a few overdriven presents - one vintage and one modern, basically. I don't use a ton of saturation, but I want something with gain along with articulation. I've been using the WhoWatt 100 and Brit J45 Brt (default cabs and mics) for vintage, and the Matchstick Ch2 for more modern sounds, but they all sound a little mushy. Maybe I need to tweak more, and possible cut back on the gains. I'd really appreciate hearing what works for you. Thanks!

I use those same amps in several different presets with great results.  It's really impossible to say what the problem is without understanding what your output rig consists of which will really be the determining factor as far as articulation.  It's a reasonably good guess that you've incorporated too much gain, or potentially the wrong type of gain. With the WhoWatt and to a slightly lesser extent the J45 are specifically designed to work in conjunction with drive pedals very well.  Particularly with the WhoWatt I keep the tone fairly clean and push it using a pedal or sometimes combinations of pedals.  I tend to get better results and better control using the Matchstick jump rather than the Matchstick 2 which, to my ear, is harder to manage and get the right amount of distortion.

Again, chances are you need less distortion than you think you do.  Using less distortion with some added tight push from something like the Deluxe Compressor can often get you the control and articulation you want...given of course that you're using a speaker setup that is capable of providing it.