Jump to content
tsantos8

Helix Floor with TC Helicon Voicelive 3 Extreme.

Recommended Posts

I was wondering if someone could offer me some advice on connections!

 

I just bought the helix floor (AMAZING!), but I also own a tc helicon voicelive 3 extreme (VL3 for future reference) for vocals. I connect my guitar to the VL3 guitar in and then another cable from the guitar thru on VL3 (which passes only a dry guitar signal) to the Helix guitar in. So that's easy enough. The VL3 requires that for it to detect the chords for vocal harmonies and processing. 

Now I should say that I have a Yamaha Stagepas 600 pa system that I am connecting to for everything (No amp or FRFR). I would like to be able to use the looper on the VL3 in stereo for both the guitar from the Helix and the vocals from the VL3 itself but unsure of how to get this accomplished. I am assuming that it's with the effects loop on the Helix but I'm unfamiliar with effects loops. Also please note that the routing options on the VL3 outs are plentiful. So can I make them play nice? I have attached a photo of the VL3 rear INS/OUTS for reference. Also an image of the Yamaha pa mixer/amp. 2019332829_VL3X-ports.jpg.9cf80ed082fbdfeaa6bca383b181c490.jpgYamaha_stagepas600_Mixer.thumb.jpg.0bdb25bbbec66865a3cdf42a2b507c8c.jpg

 

If someone could please HELP ME! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you wanting to keep your audio effects for vocals separate from your guitar effects? (Helix processes all guitar stuff and guitar looping, and VL3 for vocal stuff and vocal looping?) If so, all you need is to take your raw, unprocessed guitar signal from the Helix into the VL3 so it can detect your chords (with no effects or distortion which would confuse it). You can use a send block from the Helix, before amps and effects, out a send in the Helix into the guitar input on the VL3, and adjust levels properly.

 

Use a separate output(s) from your Helix and VL3 into your mixer, so you have guitar and vocal channel(s).

 

If you need to loop both guitar and vocals in synch, things get more interesting. Your loops have to be synched via MIDI clock or you'll have an audio mess. The VL3 has quantized clock synch for loops, the Helix does not. So VL3 would need to be the master, and Helix the slave. Use MIDI out from VL3 to MIDI in on Helix, and read the manuals to figure out how to synch the two via MIDI clock data. Not for the timid, but you should be able to do it.

 

Another choice to avoid the complexity of operating two synched loopers (and tap dancing) would be to simply take guitar input from Helix and loop it in the VL3 along with your vocals. Or take vocal input from VL3 and loop it in the Helix along with your guitar. I think the looper in the VL3 is better so use that one.

 

[UPDATE: I just reread your question, and sounds like you want to loop both guitar and vocal in the VL3. Good choice! If so, you will probably want to have two outputs from Helix into VL3; one with unprocessed guitar for the chord detection, and the other processed with effects for the loops. For unprocessed, use a Send as mentioned. For processed, you could use a send, and XLR out, or a 1/4" out (if you're using mono guitar signals to amp and VL3). Lots of ways to get the signal, but keep it simple.

 

Wow, lots of fun with the setup you have!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks soundog! I think this may work. I kinda of figured this but I'm not that fimiliar with the helix yet. I will try your recommendations later this evening when I'm home. And yes I want to use the VL3 looper for everything as it is far superior. And yes should be lots of fun once I get it all set up the proper way. Did I mention that I also have a beatbuddy drum pedal? Lol. I'm going to be in heaven quite soon! Lol.. 

I'll update later tonight on my progress. 

Again thanks for your input. Much appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi just for interest did you sort this? Just that i have helix floor linked with a gr55, variax and just about to take delivery of a vl3x. Any advice on how to connect them giving the best use of the vl3x loopers and vocals. I use the helix currently as the sound interface to my monitors.

looking forward to your reply.

 

cheers

 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Glad to have arrived at this post.

I own a Voicelive3 and just adquired a Helix. Now THE QUESTION... These things are huge!!!. I was going to ditch the Voicelive, but it´s a great piece of gear, harmonies, looper... But having BOTH in front of me is just intimidating!!!!. Can you guys send a pic of how they look side by side on your setup?. 

The way I´m thinking i would set it up...

1) Vocals exclusively on VL3. Or do we need some swells?. Dynamics and eq seem better on the Helix... (Hate that VL3 doesn´t have proper tweakable vocal compressor).
In that case, vocal input on Helix - preamp - dynamics - send to VL3 - return - some more Helix FX - XLR out. 
keeping vocals on VL3 is less messy. You´d need 1/4 to XLR adapters to be able to send/return from Helix... Impedance stuff and horrible unexplicable things might happen...

- A send from guitar path in Helix to use harmonizer in VL3

2) Looper: VL3, definately. VL3 is only Midi-slave so Helix would be master... You´d need to return guitar from VL3 for this. So in a non-loop mode the guitar would go from Helix to VL3 and back, unprocessed, when in loop mode the guitar loop would come back here too. This guitar send would need to be at the end of the chain, so as to send the guitar processed from Helix into the looper (and back). Now... You wouldn´t want VL3 to process the guitar (Helix send . VL3 guit in - VL3 guit out - Helix return), even with no FX it´d do "something". But I beleive the "guitar thru" on the VL3 doesn´t carry the loop signal... so bummer here... I use a quitar amp and vocals on different paths. If you don´t (i beleive it´s your case) both guit and vocals might leave the VL3 on the XLR. In that case, the VL3 would be the one sending the output to the PA, no going back to Helix...

3) Presets / snapshots: I hear the VL3 midi implementation is smehow limited.. I read you could use a Helix command to trigger the "HIT" on the VL3, which is nice (I change both vocals and guitar on, say, a chorus) but it´d be problematic to have to switch presets on both before each song... If anyone know if you can send a "Change preset on VL3 from Helix" please let me know.

 

And after this boring long-lollipop dissertation... Aren´t they huge????. 

 

BTW: I sing and play a 3 string CGB that does both guitar and bass. Currently i use a splitter. One side goes to VL3 guitar - guitar amp, the other goes to a SubN.Up (sweet octaver) a cheap Zoom bass FX unit - bass amp.

I mean for Helix to simplify this, use Helix for both guitar AND bass processing. I´ll keep the SubNÚp on an FX loop since it´s polyphonic and way better than Helix shifters. But i´ll loose the bass fx thing and I´ll be able to change the sound of both with a single switch.... I really need to simplify my tap dancing... But here I find myself thinking about keeping the VL3... I hate you.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to find this. I use the VL3 as my mixer for a solo acoustic gig along with the looping feature and vocal harmonies. I dig the helix floor unit and want to incorporate it into the VL3. Or run the VL3 into the helix and let that be my mixer. Any thoughts. I also have the HX effects, can the be applied instead of the helix floor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 6:13 AM, tahiche said:

Hi,

Glad to have arrived at this post.

I own a Voicelive3 and just adquired a Helix. Now THE QUESTION... These things are huge!!!. I was going to ditch the Voicelive, but it´s a great piece of gear, harmonies, looper... But having BOTH in front of me is just intimidating!!!!. Can you guys send a pic of how they look side by side on your setup?. 

The way I´m thinking i would set it up...

1) Vocals exclusively on VL3. Or do we need some swells?. Dynamics and eq seem better on the Helix... (Hate that VL3 doesn´t have proper tweakable vocal compressor).
In that case, vocal input on Helix - preamp - dynamics - send to VL3 - return - some more Helix FX - XLR out. 
keeping vocals on VL3 is less messy. You´d need 1/4 to XLR adapters to be able to send/return from Helix... Impedance stuff and horrible unexplicable things might happen...

- A send from guitar path in Helix to use harmonizer in VL3

2) Looper: VL3, definately. VL3 is only Midi-slave so Helix would be master... You´d need to return guitar from VL3 for this. So in a non-loop mode the guitar would go from Helix to VL3 and back, unprocessed, when in loop mode the guitar loop would come back here too. This guitar send would need to be at the end of the chain, so as to send the guitar processed from Helix into the looper (and back). Now... You wouldn´t want VL3 to process the guitar (Helix send . VL3 guit in - VL3 guit out - Helix return), even with no FX it´d do "something". But I beleive the "guitar thru" on the VL3 doesn´t carry the loop signal... so bummer here... I use a quitar amp and vocals on different paths. If you don´t (i beleive it´s your case) both guit and vocals might leave the VL3 on the XLR. In that case, the VL3 would be the one sending the output to the PA, no going back to Helix...

3) Presets / snapshots: I hear the VL3 midi implementation is smehow limited.. I read you could use a Helix command to trigger the "HIT" on the VL3, which is nice (I change both vocals and guitar on, say, a chorus) but it´d be problematic to have to switch presets on both before each song... If anyone know if you can send a "Change preset on VL3 from Helix" please let me know.

 

And after this boring long-lollipop dissertation... Aren´t they huge????. 

 

BTW: I sing and play a 3 string CGB that does both guitar and bass. Currently i use a splitter. One side goes to VL3 guitar - guitar amp, the other goes to a SubN.Up (sweet octaver) a cheap Zoom bass FX unit - bass amp.

I mean for Helix to simplify this, use Helix for both guitar AND bass processing. I´ll keep the SubNÚp on an FX loop since it´s polyphonic and way better than Helix shifters. But i´ll loose the bass fx thing and I´ll be able to change the sound of both with a single switch.... I really need to simplify my tap dancing... But here I find myself thinking about keeping the VL3... I hate you.

 

 

Would like to talk more with you on this. I have the same, Helix and VL3 and currently using the VL3 for my mixer seeing I do a solo guitar show. Could you send pics of your setup or may I call to learn more. I really want to incorporate the helix for vocal reverb and of course the stellar guitar effects but need to retain the harmony effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 6:13 AM, tahiche said:

Hi,

Glad to have arrived at this post.

I own a Voicelive3 and just adquired a Helix. Now THE QUESTION... These things are huge!!!. I was going to ditch the Voicelive, but it´s a great piece of gear, harmonies, looper... But having BOTH in front of me is just intimidating!!!!. Can you guys send a pic of how they look side by side on your setup?. 

The way I´m thinking i would set it up...

1) Vocals exclusively on VL3. Or do we need some swells?. Dynamics and eq seem better on the Helix... (Hate that VL3 doesn´t have proper tweakable vocal compressor).
In that case, vocal input on Helix - preamp - dynamics - send to VL3 - return - some more Helix FX - XLR out. 
keeping vocals on VL3 is less messy. You´d need 1/4 to XLR adapters to be able to send/return from Helix... Impedance stuff and horrible unexplicable things might happen...

- A send from guitar path in Helix to use harmonizer in VL3

2) Looper: VL3, definately. VL3 is only Midi-slave so Helix would be master... You´d need to return guitar from VL3 for this. So in a non-loop mode the guitar would go from Helix to VL3 and back, unprocessed, when in loop mode the guitar loop would come back here too. This guitar send would need to be at the end of the chain, so as to send the guitar processed from Helix into the looper (and back). Now... You wouldn´t want VL3 to process the guitar (Helix send . VL3 guit in - VL3 guit out - Helix return), even with no FX it´d do "something". But I beleive the "guitar thru" on the VL3 doesn´t carry the loop signal... so bummer here... I use a quitar amp and vocals on different paths. If you don´t (i beleive it´s your case) both guit and vocals might leave the VL3 on the XLR. In that case, the VL3 would be the one sending the output to the PA, no going back to Helix...

3) Presets / snapshots: I hear the VL3 midi implementation is smehow limited.. I read you could use a Helix command to trigger the "HIT" on the VL3, which is nice (I change both vocals and guitar on, say, a chorus) but it´d be problematic to have to switch presets on both before each song... If anyone know if you can send a "Change preset on VL3 from Helix" please let me know.

 

And after this boring long-lollipop dissertation... Aren´t they huge????. 

 

BTW: I sing and play a 3 string CGB that does both guitar and bass. Currently i use a splitter. One side goes to VL3 guitar - guitar amp, the other goes to a SubN.Up (sweet octaver) a cheap Zoom bass FX unit - bass amp.

I mean for Helix to simplify this, use Helix for both guitar AND bass processing. I´ll keep the SubNÚp on an FX loop since it´s polyphonic and way better than Helix shifters. But i´ll loose the bass fx thing and I´ll be able to change the sound of both with a single switch.... I really need to simplify my tap dancing... But here I find myself thinking about keeping the VL3... I hate you.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would like to talk more with you on this. I have the same, Helix and VL3 and currently using the VL3 for my mixer seeing I do a solo guitar show. Could you send pics of your setup or may I call to learn more. I really want to incorporate the helix for vocal reverb and of course the stellar guitar effects but need to retain the harmony effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too have a Helix and VL3 and am interested in options for having them work together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 9:49 PM, ursomuch2me said:

Would like to talk more with you on this. I have the same, Helix and VL3 and currently using the VL3 for my mixer seeing I do a solo guitar show. Could you send pics of your setup or may I call to learn more. I really want to incorporate the helix for vocal reverb and of course the stellar guitar effects but need to retain the harmony effect.

Hi, 

I don't have it setup right now but I can rey and explain some. You have to think about what gear does what. We have 3 basic components: guitar, vocals and midi (midi to sync presets and machines). 

1) guitar. 

No mistery here. Helix is way better and takes care of guitar. So guitar into VL3 thru so it can detect the notes for the harmony and put into helix without any processing. 

2 a) all vocals in VL3. 

It simplifies things to leave all vocal processing in VL3. You can sync presets, turn harmony on/off from Helix via midi (more in that later) but the actual vocal chain doesn't pass through helix. 

2 b) you say you want to incorporate helix reverb on vocals... For that the approach is different. It takes a dedicated vocal lane in helix. Since reverb goes at the end, I assume you want harmonies from VL3 and other fx from helix. 

You set up a dedicated helix lane for vocals with mic going into helix input. Then some vocal fx (pre harmonies, like compressor, eq...) then an effects loop going into VL3 and back. After that any post-harmonies fx (like reverb). 

I tried this with a harmony singer in the Helix fx loop (like I said helix+VL3 was too big for me). You need 2 jack-xlr cables to do the fx loop since helix sends/returns are jack but VL3 are XLR. 

 

3) Sync via midi 

The interesting (and critical) part is syncing the machines. This means presets, tempo, etc... Note here: the VL3 looper is tempo synced, helix is not

I prefer the looper on VL3, but that's a different story... 

I've actually managed to do this. You need to make the Helix master and VL3 slave (VL3 cannot act as master). You connect a 5 pin midi USB from helix out to vl3 in. Note : USB midi  won't work, it has to be the classic midi cable. 

You set up the vl3 to listen on the midi cable. Now if you change the tempo on the Helix it will change on the vl3. 

As for controlling presets and vl3 fx from the Helix... You need to setup command center actions in helix. You check out the vl3 manual and check the program changes to change presets, turn on or off fx, etc. Then you assign actions on helix so that if u ou press pedal 1 harmonies are turned on on helix... When you load preset 33 in helix, preset 44 is recalled in vl3, etc. These can be midi program changes for presets or cc messages for other functions.... Its a matter of opening the documentation and testing it. 

 

Hope it helps. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2020 at 11:54 AM, tahiche said:

Hi, 

I don't have it setup right now but I can rey and explain some. You have to think about what gear does what. We have 3 basic components: guitar, vocals and midi (midi to sync presets and machines). 

1) guitar. 

No mistery here. Helix is way better and takes care of guitar. So guitar into VL3 thru so it can detect the notes for the harmony and put into helix without any processing. 

2 a) all vocals in VL3. 

It simplifies things to leave all vocal processing in VL3. You can sync presets, turn harmony on/off from Helix via midi (more in that later) but the actual vocal chain doesn't pass through helix. 

2 b) you say you want to incorporate helix reverb on vocals... For that the approach is different. It takes a dedicated vocal lane in helix. Since reverb goes at the end, I assume you want harmonies from VL3 and other fx from helix. 

You set up a dedicated helix lane for vocals with mic going into helix input. Then some vocal fx (pre harmonies, like compressor, eq...) then an effects loop going into VL3 and back. After that any post-harmonies fx (like reverb). 

I tried this with a harmony singer in the Helix fx loop (like I said helix+VL3 was too big for me). You need 2 jack-xlr cables to do the fx loop since helix sends/returns are jack but VL3 are XLR. 

 

3) Sync via midi 

The interesting (and critical) part is syncing the machines. This means presets, tempo, etc... Note here: the VL3 looper is tempo synced, helix is not

I prefer the looper on VL3, but that's a different story... 

I've actually managed to do this. You need to make the Helix master and VL3 slave (VL3 cannot act as master). You connect a 5 pin midi USB from helix out to vl3 in. Note : USB midi  won't work, it has to be the classic midi cable. 

You set up the vl3 to listen on the midi cable. Now if you change the tempo on the Helix it will change on the vl3. 

As for controlling presets and vl3 fx from the Helix... You need to setup command center actions in helix. You check out the vl3 manual and check the program changes to change presets, turn on or off fx, etc. Then you assign actions on helix so that if u ou press pedal 1 harmonies are turned on on helix... When you load preset 33 in helix, preset 44 is recalled in vl3, etc. These can be midi program changes for presets or cc messages for other functions.... Its a matter of opening the documentation and testing it. 

 

Hope it helps. 

 

 

Will USB midi work from Ipad Pro to Helix?  Then midi cable to VL3?  Or is integrating Ipad a different animal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The iPad will send/receive MIDI through USB to/from Helix, yes. Use A USB3 CCK from Apple so you can power your iPad when doing so. Then run the USB (host) to a powered MIDI hub. Connect your USB slave devices (like Helix) to the MIDI hub. Not sure about USB MIDI on the VL3, but you could always go 5-pin DIN MIDI out of the Helix into the VL3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2020 at 1:03 AM, soundog said:

The iPad will send/receive MIDI through USB to/from Helix, yes. Use A USB3 CCK from Apple so you can power your iPad when doing so. Then run the USB (host) to a powered MIDI hub. Connect your USB slave devices (like Helix) to the MIDI hub. Not sure about USB MIDI on the VL3, but you could always go 5-pin DIN MIDI out of the Helix into the VL3.

 

Thank you. Soundog.  I'll try both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 5:13 AM, Markonian said:

 

Thank you. Soundog.  I'll try both.

 

Hey Markonian, did this work out for you??  I'm trying to MIDI link my iPad, HX Effects and Voicelive 2 and as of yet, have been unsuccessful.

 

TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 7:31 PM, billinbrasil said:

 

Hey Markonian, did this work out for you??  I'm trying to MIDI link my iPad, HX Effects and Voicelive 2 and as of yet, have been unsuccessful.

 

TIA

 

I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2020 at 7:51 AM, billinbrasil said:

Thanks!!  Let us know when you get the chance. I’ll do the same. 

 

You might try "The Line 6 MIDI MAD SCIENTIST CLUB" on Facebook.  I just joined and haven't explored it yet. I'll stay in touch.

 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1149598418555545/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a simple version of this in my setup I thought I'd share. I have the VL3x as the centerpiece with a Variax JT69 guitar. I use a simple bigshot AB stomp box the guitar is plugged into. (used to use the line 6 one that came with my Variax700 but they both died) For Variax Acoustic tones, which are all I sing to, It goes strait into the VL3 via the AB pedal. For playing and singing and I like the VL3 acoustic guitar processing and with hours of tweaking finally have a very nice acoustic guitar sound out of an electric which has always been elusive yet important to my flow because I also want a great electric tone for leads. I don't care much for the VL3 electric guitar processing so when I do solos I loop acoustic rhythms in the VL3 and switch to electric using my AB pedal plugged into the Helix. I get a great electric sound that is taken out of the Helix and into the aux input on the VL3. (this is also loopable) I also use a keyboard in the mix and plug that into the aux on the Helix and that also comes into the VL3 in the same path as the electric guitar, so again is loopable. Though my language here may make it sound complicated its so simple. I don't get full advantage of the Helix but I do get the sounds and tones I want out of both boxes very simply. All this goes into a Bose tower and I can fill the room with sound as a solo artist. For bigger gigs the outputs of the VL3 are pretty good at splitting the signal separating vocals and guitar but with the aux inputs I have to make sure my volumes are right but I'm used to that from using my own setup all the time.  Though not perfect since I'd love one box to do it all, I can take advantage of the best of both of these and get so many different sounds out of this combo it's truly wonderful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...