Jump to content

3 Note Generator and Swell Blocks Not Working


NOSaints79
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have a 3 Note Generator synth block set to momentary switching and I've tried placing either an  Autoswell, Adriatic Swell (stereo), or Vintage Swell (stereo) block after it and I get no output, regardless of any parameter changes in the swell blocks. However, placing the legacy Auto-Volume Echo after it does produce an output signal. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm on firmware v2.7. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried this with the Adriatic Swell, no output problem. The default settings are subtle. Try cranking the feedback, mix, threshold and attack. Of course, I don't know what you're after, and it's not really my thing, but randomly tweaking those settings definitely made a difference, so it's not a "bug". Attached preset.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, rd2rk said:

I tried this with the Adriatic Swell, no output problem. The default settings are subtle. Try cranking the feedback, mix, threshold and attack. Of course, I don't know what you're after, and it's not really my thing, but randomly tweaking those settings definitely made a difference, so it's not a "bug". Attached preset.

3note Adswell.hlx

 

 

Your preset works for me, mine (attached) still does not.

Test3NoteGenSwell.hlx

 

 

 

EDIT - I only wanted one note out of the 3 Note generator, so I set the OSC2 and OSC3 level to 0.  That seems to be the issue. If I turn OSC2 level > 0, it works.  However, if I turn OSC1 level = 0 and OSC2 level > 0, it stops working again.  It also appears that OSC1 and OSC2 have to be set to different notes at different octaves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's definitely something wonky going on with the 3NoteGen.

 

I've tried a dozen different configurations - using multiple 3NG blocks, one block and Snapshots, various configurations of the 3NG blocks....

Some configurations work with the Swell FX, some work sometimes.

My favorite so far was when I set up three 3NG blocks, C-E-G, all Osc on each set to the one note (C,E or G), same octave, all Osc settings identical, + AdSwell.

All blocks played thru the AdSwell - but which ones played depended on which buttons were pressed AND THE ORDER THEY WERE PRESSED IN! Sometimes none would play, sometimes all, sometime 1 but not 2 and 3, sometimes 2 and 3 but not 1, sometimes 1 and 3...... entirely at random! Sometimes a note would play consistently on consecutive presses, but if you waited a few seconds between presses it wouldn't play. At one point I got frustrated and started rapidly pressing combinations at random and one of the buttons switched itself from Momentary to Latching and got stuck in the ON position. Yet it was still working as Momentary, just backwards!

 

Just for kicks, I set up a preset with only MIDI Notes C-E-G and pointed it at my Synth plugin in Sonar. Ain't got no problems like Helix 3NG can't seem to handle!

 

If you REALLY NEED this function, I suggest you get with Support. I've had my Helix for over 2 years, this is the buggiest thing I've ever seen!

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rd2rk said:

There's definitely something wonky going on with the 3NoteGen.

 

I've tried a dozen different configurations - using multiple 3NG blocks, one block and Snapshots, various configurations of the 3NG blocks....

Some configurations work with the Swell FX, some work sometimes.

My favorite so far was when I set up three 3NG blocks, C-E-G, all Osc on each set to the one note (C,E or G), same octave, all Osc settings identical, + AdSwell.

All blocks played thru the AdSwell - but which ones played depended on which buttons were pressed AND THE ORDER THEY WERE PRESSED IN! Sometimes none would play, sometimes all, sometime 1 but not 2 and 3, sometimes 2 and 3 but not 1, sometimes 1 and 3...... entirely at random! Sometimes a note would play consistently on consecutive presses, but if you waited a few seconds between presses it wouldn't play. At one point I got frustrated and started rapidly pressing combinations at random and one of the buttons switched itself from Momentary to Latching and got stuck in the ON position. Yet it was still working as Momentary, just backwards!

 

Just for kicks, I set up a preset with only MIDI Notes C-E-G and pointed it at my Synth plugin in Sonar. Ain't got no problems like Helix 3NG can't seem to handle!

 

If you REALLY NEED this function, I suggest you get with Support. I've had my Helix for over 2 years, this is the buggiest thing I've ever seen!

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks so much for the in depth testing!  You have confirmed that I am not going crazy. I really appreciate all the time and effort you put into it. I am going to contact support and raise this as an issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, NOSaints79 said:

Thanks so much for the in depth testing!  You have confirmed that I am not going crazy. I really appreciate all the time and effort you put into it. I am going to contact support and raise this as an issue.

 

Do come back and let us know if there's a resolution. Or if we're BOTH crazy! ;-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/2/2018 at 10:47 PM, rd2rk said:

 

Do come back and let us know if there's a resolution. Or if we're BOTH crazy! ;-)

 

Well, I'm disappointed. The official word from Line 6 support is this:

 

"The swell delays have various EQ filters built into them to be more efficient when placed after guitar signals.  Unfortunately some of the tones you're generating are outside of the range and being omitted."

 

 

It would be nice if the built in EQ filters were only applied if the input for the the path was set to Guitar.   I really don't understand how the notes in the 3NG blocks are outside the range, since they are all playable notes on a guitar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

LOL!  I like yams.

 

I should say that was their second answer. Their first response was that the attack time was too slow for the swell delays to detect it, but I set the attack to the minimum value and still got nothing. Then they came back with this about the EQ filtering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...