Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Airline Travel and Pod HD500

talonmm

I'm thinking of packing my POD HD500 in my suitcase and flying.  The suitcase would not be a travel-on, it would be turned over to the airline for the trip.  Do you think this is a good idea?  Would security allow this bulky electronic device to be in my suitcase or would all kinds of red-flags go off?

thanks!

The bigger concern for you should be - are you carrying a backup of your patches, and will you have access to a computer to reinstall your patches. 

You don't know what xrays will do to your unit, nor do you know what traveling at 30k feet in the winter will do to the unit. It is always better to have the backup and not need it, then to need and not have it. 

1. Call the airline to check their individual policies. 

2. Call TSA. Ask.

Sometimes all it takes is a call to put them on notice that you are bringing an electronic device and not to go nutso with the terrorist stuff. No different than calling to ask what the rules are for carrying cash. - you are allowed to carry large sums, you just need to tell them in advance. 

I would not put the unit in a suitcase. I would put it in a case, and then a suitcase. And the power supply goes in a ziploc bag to keep it dry. 

Here's why: 

You are going to put clothes on the bottom, clothes on the sides, and then clothes on the top of the unit. You do this for 'cushion'. If TSA opens your suitcase and checks it out, they aren't going to repack your suitcase, they are just going to throw everything back in there and leave a little tag that says "we selected your bag at random and we aren't responsible for lost, missing, or broken items". 

In a case, regardless of how they repack it, it is protected. 

• Like 1

I fly all the time with my gear.... you have found the safest way to move it around. 

Place a bed of clothes in the bottom of the suitcase, place in the POD, then cover it with more clothes. It's protected as best it can be other than hard shell road cases. 

Will the airline care... no! It won't set of any bomb tests so at most it might get a random check. It's a legitimate product... it will be fine.

wow, great advise!

One last thing, honestly is the best policy.  at the small airport I fly from, I often see the tsa person take the luggage.  I'll mention I'm flying with an old piece of hardware in case they are suspecias as we all know the pod is heavy, electronic, and not often seen in suitcases.  Pianoguyy - great suggestions on a backup file, just in case it gets zonked. Ill throw the power supply in a carry on.

thanks!