Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Happy with POD HD PROX thinking of Helix Rack...should I?

jcosta_sr

Hi All,

i play

in a copy band and have been using my Pod HDPRO X in the dream rig configuration, (LT-2a and Varix) for years. I have the money set aside, so i’m Asking this group, is the any reason why I shouldn’t.  

Is is there an easy way to convert patches? 

I don't think you'll find much resistance to your proposed Helix purchase here. After all, this is a group of mostly satisfied Helix owners.

No - there is no easy way to convert patches. Initially you will feel inclined to manually convert the patches by recreating all amps and FX blocks with all their settings. You can run HDProEdit with the HD Pro disconnected and simultaneously run HX Edit with the Helix device connected. That will certainly allow you to manually recreate the patch exactly for those presets where all the amps/FX exist in both HD Pro and Helix. However you will be surprised to discover that the patches really don't sound the same. That is because of the underlying differences in the modeling algorithms. So you will find that you have to tweak the tones anyway after recreating them. Eventually, as you get more comfortable with Helix, you will find that building presets from scratch is a better method of achieving the tones you want.

Here's the thing: Helix is (imho) capable of producing superior tones than the Pod HD can deliver. Not to say the Pod HD tones aren't very good - just that Helix is capable of better. So you are doing yourself a disservice by buying Helix with the idea of recreating your POD HD tones. It's a reasonable place to start but you can do better once you get used to building your own tones in Helix.

I went from variax >> HD500x floor >> frfr to replacing the HD500x with a Helix.  Prior to this I was a 20+ years analog only guy.

Whilst I was generally happy with the HD500x, I found I was constantly tweaking patches just to find a little more 'something'.

With the Helix I initially built about 50 patches in a couple of days replicating my HD500x patches (only better) for a gig.    Then built the remaining 50 or so for the full rep my cover band has a bit later as songs got back into the set list.

I would estimate I tweaked them for about 6 months more as I learnt more, and now (18 months later) rarely change the existing patches unless I want to try or do something new.

Snapshots have proven invaluable, and allow me to go from acoustic, to clean, to push, to dirty lead (or any other combo, including guitar and tuning changes) within a single patch easily.

I've found the workflow and patch management considerably improved with the Helix, and now I understand the built in cabs better (thanks Jason Sadites) have been reverting to them from impulses.  I have a few impulses I use to enhance the acoustic sounds and that's about it.

Each version of the editing software has improved the workflow too.

I've just purchased a PowerCab+ second hand (was looking at the standard) and from first plug in via Line6 link, in Flat mode, has given the patches an even better feel.  A little darker than they were before but more 'organic' sounding (to me).  So it seems a winner too.

To be honest, I was sold when I first demoed one in a music store just based on how much better it 'felt' compared to the HD500x.

You're going to find quite a few of us here that came to the Helix from a Pod HD500 setup.  I'd be another one to testify that you're better off just starting from scratch when rebuilding your patches on the Helix as any type of conversion of HD500 patches would just not be optimized for the Helix environment.  What I would strongly recommend is that you spend some time viewing some of Jason Sadites YouTube videos to get a much clearer idea of some great approaches and techniques to build your patches on Helix.  These will be invaluable in quickly getting your patches built on the Helix.

On 11/4/2018 at 2:37 AM, DunedinDragon said:

You're going to find quite a few of us here that came to the Helix from a Pod HD500 setup.  I'd be another one to testify that you're better off just starting from scratch when rebuilding your patches on the Helix as any type of conversion of HD500 patches would just not be optimized for the Helix environment. 

What DD said! I'm another one who used Pod HD500 for several years. It sounded pretty decent with the Line 6 DT25 combo amp, but when I had to use it direct with a band leader that insisted we all use in-ear monitors and didn't want amps on the stage, I was never satisfied with my tones. The Helix changed all that... drastically! The digital modeling is significantly more advanced on Helix and you'll notice the difference immediately. Sounds great direct or in an FRFR powered speaker (though you will have to tweak separate patches for each).  So I'd say GO FOR IT!