Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sound artifact when using Helix and Powercab 112 Plus

martski131

Hi Folks,

I am having problems with peculiar sounds from my Helix setup.

I have a Fender Strat connected to the input of my Helix and the Helix is conected to my Powercab 112 Plus using an L6 Link cable. Sounds like the perfect setup...

However, when I play low pitched notes on the A and E strings I get what sounds like another synthesized note playing at the same time. I think it's there when I play higher pitched notes as well but it is not as obvious.  
It's a sound similar to that made if you play through an octave pedal that is set to the same pitch rather than an octave down. It's the same note but it sounds synthesized and artificial and it's not something you can ignore.

I have tried the following without success:
Different guitars (a telecaster and my JTV-59 Variax)
A full factory reset on the Helix
Creating a new simple patch with nothing other than input > amp > output
Changing the input setting type from Multi to Guitar
Changing the output from L6 Link to 1/4-inch
A radical bass cut on the Global EQ (this reduced the artifact slightly but it's still there)

I am running the presets on my Helix without cabinet/mic models and just using the built in oresets on the Powercab. Strangely, it seems to sound worse when I set the Powercab to the FLAT setting. I have noticed that when I connect the Helix to another output device (I tried my Tech 21 Power Engine), there is no sign of the artifact. There is no trace of the artifact when I monitor through headphones either. I believe that the artifact is not coming from the helix.

I am beginning to wonder if the Powercab is faulty but before I send it back to Anderton's (which will not be a trivial task) I wondered if anyone on the forum has any ideas.

P.S. I am not sure if I should post this on the Helix forum or the Powercab forum so I am posting to both. I aplogise if this is in contradiction of the rules of use.

Martin