Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx stomp question- USB Interface?

macnevine

I am a solo performer. I currently use a usb I/o interface (Ik multimedia duo) and I use my iPad to run bias fx and bias amp. I plug my guitar into the interface. Then on my iPad I run a virtual looper and some other effects like a guitar synth. I can mix it all on the iPad. I use the mc6 to turn effects on and off.

While I like my set up for effects I do find my drives are lacking in bias fix. 

I was was wondering if the hex stomp could replace my usb audio interface thus allowing me to output and mix my iPad effects like the guitar synth and some other app effects out of the hex stomp. I also use a beat buddy and I have that connected to the iPad with the cam kit. This allows me to have the tempo from the beat buddy syncs with my modulation effects and looper on the iPad. So my hope is when I get it all connected the tempo on the hx stomp would allow me to synchronize . Ie delays especially.

If the hx stomp can replace my usb audio interface. If it could output other apps on my iPad to mix in with the hex stomp signal it would allow me to free up some blocks on the hex stomp.

does anyone know if the hx stomp could  operate in this hybrid environment of iPad and analog? The usb jack on the unit looks like there is hope?  

Thanks I guess in rereading "all" my words what I am asking is simply: Can I get rid of my USB midi-interface that hooks to my IPAD and where I plug my guitar into and then outputs to my amp with the HX STOMP that will then serve as my USB midi interface?  So far one person "amsdenjthinks so... does anyone else actually know for sure?  Thanks for any thoughts from the board.

HX Stomp is an USB audio interface so that should all work fine.You will just need the Apple Camera Kit to connect Stomp to an Ipad. You can also check out the manual if you have deeper questions about how MIDI might be setup between your Beat Buddy and Stomp. 

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4010c935bb66a4c0c44f/application/pdf/HX Stomp Manual - English .pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Yes for me it replaced my IKmultimedia Duo Interface "almost" perfectly.  Couple of things I had to work through as it related to midi as it relates to midi so far.  

1. I had an issue with midi through. I go midi out of a drum machine to the midi into the stomp for BPM.  Then I connected the midi out of the stomp back to my drum machine midid in.  This is so my IPAD that is also hooked to the stomp as the interface can send a CC change to my drum machine to change songs.  The problem I ran into was that the stomp is sending something via midi to my drum machine that was causing it to freak out.  So when I set the stomp to midi through it did not work for me.  I do not know what it is sending but I could not figure it out.  Maybe someone else knows.  My work around was to purchase a Bluetooth PUC+ that I set up to send to my midi in my drum machine.  So my IPAD sends the CC command via bluetooth to change my songs on the drum machine.  I would prefer to have a hard wired midi loop but that did not work out for me with my environment.  

2.  I am having a hard time with underdstanding how the inputs and outputs work together with the USB interface re: setting levels.  But keep in mind I am outputting the stomp for guitar direct to some powered speakers (not using an amp). I have levels that seems like it successfully merged my IPAD effects output with my stomp effects output and it sounds really good but I do not know what I did - it took me a long time to set my levels. (i.e. so that by dotted 1/8th delay oil the IPAD does not over power the stomp level etc...  The manual explains this but I am still not understanding the input outputs etc... as it relates to HX as an interface.  Maybe someone know better.