Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

About to buy a helix - few questions

isak531

So I "discovered" the Line 6 Helix a couple of weeks ago and have since then done a lot of research on it; watching several demos and reviews of it on Youtube, reading forums etc. It seems really amazing and I'm on the verge of purchasing it however I've got some questions before I blow my wallet on this unit, hope I'm on the right forums.

1. I've understood that creating and editing your own tones is pretty simple and that it reacts very close to the real stuff, tube amp pedals etc. However how easy is it to download other people's tones and presets? Is there a lot of good stuff for free or do I have to buy these huge packages with IRs etc?

2. Rack vs the floor unit? Done a bit of research on this but I'm still not sure. I'm a pure bedroom guitarist so I only play guitar sitting at my desk in my bedroom (duh). So seems like the rack is what would fit me best however I'm more drawn towards the floor unit because it seems easier to adjust the settings etc let alone it's cheaper and I wont have to buy a separate foot unit later on. Can't I just put the floor unit on my desk for when I edit my presets and have it on the floor for when I'm just playing? Also is there a program for editing presets for my Helix using my PC? If so the rack unit seems even more useless for me?

3. I've got a Marshall Silver Jubilee 2525H and a 4x12 vintage 30s cab, if i want to play my Helix I'd have to run it through the front of my 2525H into my cab right? How would that colour the sound? Same question regarding connecting it by USB to my PC to listen through headphones? Would the sound be fine using a normal PC headset or would I need to buy some studio headphones?

Buying a Helix would be stretching my wallet so don't wanna end up having to spend twice the amount for headphones, FRFR cab, midi controller, soundcard, pc software etc etc.. Considering the fact that in 1-2 years I'll most likely be moving into an apartment is what makes this Helix seem really perfect, so this whole connectivity to pc/headphones/recording etc is half the reason to why I consider buying it.

4. Recording? Do I just connect it to my PC to record and thats it? What if I want to use a cam to also record a video of me playing? How would I do that?

Sorry for such a long post, hopefully someone will have the time to read through it all and reply. Feel free to link me in any direction where I can find answers for these sort of questions, videos/reviews/demos etc.

Short summary: Looking to buy a Helix, and I'm really curious for more information. Feel free to link me in any direction!

Best regards!

4 hours ago, isak531 said:

So I "discovered" the Line 6 Helix a couple of weeks ago and have since then done a lot of research on it; watching several demos and reviews of it on Youtube, reading forums etc. It seems really amazing and I'm on the verge of purchasing it however I've got some questions before I blow my wallet on this unit, hope I'm on the right forums.

1. I've understood that creating and editing your own tones is pretty simple and that it reacts very close to the real stuff, tube amp pedals etc. However how easy is it to download other people's tones and presets? Is there a lot of good stuff for free or do I have to buy these huge packages with IRs etc?

2. Rack vs the floor unit? Done a bit of research on this but I'm still not sure. I'm a pure bedroom guitarist so I only play guitar sitting at my desk in my bedroom (duh). So seems like the rack is what would fit me best however I'm more drawn towards the floor unit because it seems easier to adjust the settings etc let alone it's cheaper and I wont have to buy a separate foot unit later on. Can't I just put the floor unit on my desk for when I edit my presets and have it on the floor for when I'm just playing? Also is there a program for editing presets for my Helix using my PC? If so the rack unit seems even more useless for me?

3. I've got a Marshall Silver Jubilee 2525H and a 4x12 vintage 30s cab, if i want to play my Helix I'd have to run it through the front of my 2525H into my cab right? How would that colour the sound? Same question regarding connecting it by USB to my PC to listen through headphones? Would the sound be fine using a normal PC headset or would I need to buy some studio headphones?

Buying a Helix would be stretching my wallet so don't wanna end up having to spend twice the amount for headphones, FRFR cab, midi controller, soundcard, pc software etc etc.. Considering the fact that in 1-2 years I'll most likely be moving into an apartment is what makes this Helix seem really perfect, so this whole connectivity to pc/headphones/recording etc is half the reason to why I consider buying it.

4. Recording? Do I just connect it to my PC to record and thats it? What if I want to use a cam to also record a video of me playing? How would I do that?

Sorry for such a long post, hopefully someone will have the time to read through it all and reply. Feel free to link me in any direction where I can find answers for these sort of questions, videos/reviews/demos etc.

Short summary: Looking to buy a Helix, and I'm really curious for more information. Feel free to link me in any direction!

Best regards!

Short answer:

1. https://line6.com/customtone/browse/helix/ provides lots of tones to experiment with. But don’t be afraid to create your own, its easy.

2. For beadroom guitarist, Helix floor is fine, but you might want to consider HX Stomp if that meets your needs. Its only three footswitches and 6 blocks, but provides all the same Helix models

3. You have lots of options: run Helix as a pedal board in front your amp (like a traditional pedalboard), run Helix in 4CM for effects in front of the preamp and between the preamp and power amp, or run Helix into the amp’s effects return with amp models. But for beadroom use, ditch the bing 4x12 monster and use the amp models in Helix directly into your computer monitors or headphones.

4. Connect Helix or HX Stop with USB to your computer and you have a great audio/MIDI interface. Nothing else needed.

I'm a new Helix LT owner and have found that creating and editing presets is WAY easier using the HX Edit program on your computer. 

For bedroom use, I would skip the amp entirely and just use the Helix as the whole rig. It *is* different listening to the Helix through studio monitors or a PA system than standing in front of a 4x12 that's moving some air. I've spent a couple decades in the studio, so I'm used to it (been using native amp plug-ins for recording), but you may find it a bit less visceral. If listening through headphones, I would get a decent pair. Sennheiser HD280s are the work horse headphones in my studio. They run about $100, perhaps less on sale over the holidays.

After a quick play through the factory presets, I created my own preset with just an amp+cab and a touch of reverb. Then I auditioned every amp+cab option in the box, trying to find ones that spoke to me. Everyone's tastes are different, but I found plenty to keep me happy I think. The Helix feels a bit compressed and doesn't have the instant response of a good tube amp to my ears but for playing 80s/90s covers in crappy bars, it covers a lot of sonic territory just fine.

My plan is to do gigs with no amps. Helix LT straight into the PA and monitor via regular stage wedges. If I need an amp for a gig, I'll run the Helix into an FX return on a tube combo amp and bypass the cab blocks.

Lots of power and flexibility under the hood. Lots to learn yet.