Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looper sends MIDI, any chance to turn this off?

clausiii

Hi!

Is there a way to stop sending MIDI from Helix FX when using the Looper? It sends MIDI to my amp´s channel switching unit (Voodoo Lab Control Switcher) and turns its chorus on because its the same MIDI control change number.

Thanks!

Claus

I suspect what is happening is that your Helix is still set (by default) to send PC messages all of the time, on all channels. You can turn that off in the Global > Midi section. Keep in mind, when you do that you have to actually program the changes you want in each patch separately.

By default, I always set my devices to OMNI OFF, and then set discrete channels for each device. I also turn off Global PC changes as mentioned above. By doing that, nothing will trigger unless it is specifically programmed to trigger. It's more work to get it setup... but it gives you far more control without accidentally triggering things you don't want.

That said.... I could see an advantage to having all MIDI disabled when the looper is engaged... but I don't believe that is currently possible and may create a new can o' worms if it was implemented. 

11 hours ago, clausiii said:

Hi!

Is there a way to stop sending MIDI from Helix FX when using the Looper? It sends MIDI to my amp´s channel switching unit (Voodoo Lab Control Switcher) and turns its chorus on because its the same MIDI control change number.

Thanks!

Claus

Unfortunately, while you can stop automatic PC Sends, there's no way to stop the CC sends from the Looper. MIDI Solutions sells a programmable device called the "Event Processor" that can be programmed to filter or transform most types of MIDI. Downside is it's $150!

EDIT: If you set the Helix BASE Channel to a different channel from the one that you're transmitting to your amp on, that might do it.

Like, if your amp listens on Channel 1, set the Helix BASE Channel to Channel 2. Might work!

16 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Unfortunately, while you can stop automatic PC Sends, there's no way to stop the CC sends from the Looper.

Interesting... global PC off is a band aid that doesn't fit the wound :) 

16 hours ago, rd2rk said:

EDIT: If you set the Helix BASE Channel to a different channel from the one that you're transmitting to your amp on, that might do it.

Like, if your amp listens on Channel 1, set the Helix BASE Channel to Channel 2. Might work!

I came of "musical age" in the 80's.... changing the base channel and turning OMNI mode OFF (when it's an option) is always "good midi practice" in my opinion. Keeping devices on discreet channels can go a long way to eliminating unwanted communication.