Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tempo-based utilities like gate and volume

Vincenzo_P

Hi everybody, the more I explore into my HX FX the more ideas I get, especially thanks to the awesome flexibility over the signal chain. I spend all my time in the signal view. I'd say I'm using the helix more like a creative tool, rather than a tone one. That's way I got the HX FX and not the full floor unit.

I was hoping there were more discussion about the creative/experimental side of things. I mean... having two separate chains (and having one at 100% wet) opens up to a hell lot of creative possibilities.

First big question I have is: how to have blocks like volume and gate being automated by the tempo to create for example auto-volume swells (tight to the BPM and not to dynamics and such like Adrianswell or Vintageswell). I can't use a pedal to do this 'cause I'm already dealing with playing the guitar and singing and change the sounds etc..

The gate idea is even crazier so I try to paint a scenario (assuming I'll be playing tight as hell):

I have two signal path A&B. Let's say A is the "guitar" channel and B is the "Crazy". I play fingerpicking and I want the bass notes only (thumb picked) to be picked up by the B signal chain. I know I'll be playing a bass note every let's say quarter, so I'd have a gate to mute the incoming signal every quarter, therefore getting a quarter notes bass line to process as I please (for example with harmony pitch or multitap to create basslines).

What do you think? Do you guys know any workaround?

Thanks in advance

Hey ho, just to add that I've been experimenting with a tremolo block at the beginning of path B to function as a sort of gate. I could get somewhere near the gating I'm after. Quite painful to set it right though and either too abrupt with a square wave or too lose with a triangle (letting too many notes slip in). Tried with all the tremoloes and the results are the same. I hope Line6 will borrows some tech from Yamaha and their expertise in synths and throw some synth-like utilities in the helix. Automating parameters through an LFO and/or an Envelope would be pushing the possibilities of the Helix to a new world.

1 hour ago, Vincenzo_P said:

Automating parameters through an LFO and/or an Envelope would be pushing the possibilities of the Helix to a new world

When I read your opening post I was thinking that you would need LFO's and Envelopes.... those are two things not present in the HELIX. 

There are a couple of feature requests for this on Ideascale (the site L6 uses to submit feature requests). You could upvote these to try and garner more interest.