Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Three Questions

thembones75

Got the HX stomp pretty blown away already.

Three things come to my mind for my use.

1. How can I set the HX Stomp to just model the IR and the IR only?  This way I can plug my amp into the two notes captor, the captor into the HX Stomp and go.

2. How can I set the HX stomp to act as two amps only. I messed with this some but it looked like I was actually running amp -> IR -> amp -> IR like I was cascading or running amp into amp probably not what i want.

3. Can I use this on my pedal board with a dmc3xl and set it up so reverb from bigsky comes before the actual amp sounds?

This may seem like simple rudimentary questions but this is all REALLY new to me.

2 hours ago, thembones75 said:

Got the HX stomp pretty blown away already.

Three things come to my mind for my use.

1. How can I set the HX Stomp to just model the IR and the IR only?  This way I can plug my amp into the two notes captor, the captor into the HX Stomp and go.

2. How can I set the HX stomp to act as two amps only. I messed with this some but it looked like I was actually running amp -> IR -> amp -> IR like I was cascading or running amp into amp probably not what i want.

3. Can I use this on my pedal board with a dmc3xl and set it up so reverb from bigsky comes before the actual amp sounds?

This may seem like simple rudimentary questions but this is all REALLY new to me.

1) I have the Helix floor, but assuming that the basic functionality is the same, then your signal chain can get be as simple or as complicated as you like... if all you want is an IR, then just don't put anything else in the chain. 

2) Not entirely sure what you're asking here... do you want a dual-amp patch, where you're blending two ammo models together, or are you just looking to toggle between two different amps?

3) You can put it anywhere you want... though I've never had much luck putting reverbs before the amp model, but to each their own. 

3 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

1) I have the Helix floor, but assuming that the basic functionality is the same, then your signal chain can get be as simple or as complicated as you like... if all you want is an IR, then just don't put anything else in the chain. 

2) Not entirely sure what you're asking here... do you want a dual-amp patch, where you're blending two ammo models together, or are you just looking to toggle between two different amps?

3) You can put it anywhere you want... though I've never had much luck putting reverbs before the amp model, but to each their own. 

1. Do IRs have an Ohm raiting?  I guess I just plug the line out of the Captor into the line in of the HX Stomp with just that one IR loaded then use the out and i have a silent amp?

2. say I want to use my hx stomp as an amp but that's it no effects. 

i want to be able to run two amps instead of 1.

i tried this but it was amp -> IR -> amp -> IR like it was in series not in parallel  so yes two amps blended not in series

3. i guess i run everything in front of the amp now so that was what i was going to do

i don't really understand how all this works to be totally honest, I am trying to learn, i have 3-4 distortion/modulation pedals and then 2/3 time based pedals i am trying to figure out how to kind of make it all work ...

Thank you for your reply/help

17 minutes ago, thembones75 said:

1. Do IRs have an Ohm raiting?  I guess I just plug the line out of the Captor into the line in of the HX Stomp with just that one IR loaded then use the out and i have a silent amp?

i tried this but it was amp -> IR -> amp -> IR like it was in series not in parallel  so yes two amps blended not in series

3. i guess i run everything in front of the amp now so that was what i was going to do

i don't really understand how all this works to be totally honest, I am trying to learn, i have 3-4 distortion/modulation pedals and then 2/3 time based pedals i am trying to figure out how to kind of make it all work ...

In terms of question 2, what is it you're trying to do? You want to use two amps in conjunction with two IRs?

Or do you mean run two amps with no IRs? Also, are you wanting the amp signals split or blended?

40 minutes ago, thembones75 said:

1) No... an IR is not a power amp or speaker enclosure... they're just wave files that get applied to whatever signal you feed it... digital captures of a particular cabinet/mic combination. This is a world of 1's and 0's, not watts and ohms. That being said,  you do have to make sure that you're feeding Helix a line level signal, or else the fire department will come to visit, and you'll be buying new gear. ;) I've never used a load box with Helix, as I don't have any "real" amp's anymore...went digital and haven't looked back, lol...But I don't want you to blow anything up, so I'll let somebody else chime in on the specifics for this one.  

2) The amp models need to be in parallel paths for that... in series it will sound disgusting... can't daisy chain all that together, it'll be a mess. You can certainly set up parallel paths if you wish. 

3) Generally speaking you'd put the distortion boxes in front of the amp (or amp model), and the time based stuff after. Think of it as if you were in a studio: a mic-ed amp and cab blasting away in the next room. You listening at the desk through monitors, any FX getting added at the board. All that is easily done with Helix. 

18 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

1) No... an IR is not a power amp or speaker enclosure... they're just wave files that get applied to whatever signal you feed it... digital captures of a particular cabinet/mic combination. This is a world of 1's and 0's, not watts and ohms. That being said,  you do have to make sure that you're feeding Helix a line level signal, or else the fire department will come to visit, and you'll be buying new gear. ;) I've never used a load box with Helix, as I don't have any "real" amp's anymore...went digital and haven't looked back, lol...But I don't want you to blow anything up, so I'll let somebody else chime in on the specifics for this one.  

2) The amp models need to be in parallel paths for that... in series it will sound disgusting... can't daisy chain all that together, it'll be a mess. You can certainly set up parallel paths if you wish. 

3) Generally speaking you'd put the distortion boxes in front of the amp (or amp model), and the time based stuff after. Think of it as if you were in a studio: a mic-ed amp and cab blasting away in the next room. You listening at the desk through monitors, any FX getting added at the board. All that is easily done with Helix. 

2. How do I setup parallel paths?

25 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

In terms of question 2, what is it you're trying to do? You want to use two amps in conjunction with two IRs?

Or do you mean run two amps with no IRs? Also, are you wanting the amp signals split or blended?

Two amps and two IRs just like I have two "live amps" now I run two cables from the bigsky one to my clubman one to my spitfire

but would like to take my pedalboard and hx stomp and do the same thing but with no amps

26 minutes ago, thembones75 said:

2. How do I setup parallel paths?

Two amps and two IRs just like I have two "live amps" now I run two cables from the bigsky one to my clubman one to my spitfire

but would like to take my pedalboard and hx stomp and do the same thing but with no amps

Well, as said above, to do two amps you need to do parallel paths. Basically when you select a new block if you look at the screen one of the knob options lets you choose if you want it on path A or path B. You simply twist the knob and select your path. The default is path A. You can then either have the two paths recombine, or output to entirely different places.

It can get a bit more complex than that, but I'd recommend reading the guide on signal paths.

2 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

Yes, the stomp can only have two paths.  If you need to go crazy further you have to amp things up with either the LT or the even beefier full Helix unit.

Would I need to connect a cable to the send L/R in the scenario in the screen shot above? 

I also tried the attached method does that mix the two amps together or does it still just put one right into the other?

Also I have been so impressed with this I got a Helix LT 

AA-HX-STOMP-parrallel.png

1 hour ago, thembones75 said:

Would I need to connect a cable to the send L/R in the scenario in the screen shot above? 

I also tried the attached method does that mix the two amps together or does it still just put one right into the other?

Also I have been so impressed with this I got a Helix LT 

AA-HX-STOMP-parrallel.png

1. Yes you would need to attach a cable to the "Send Stereo" output of the HX Stomp.

2. It mixes them.  I personally wouldn't recommend doing that. I'd have path B go to a separate output like you did in the above computer graphic.

You bought the LT?  Lucky bugger. I know the feeling because I bought the Stomp, but as soon as I started getting to know it I found myself wondering if I needed an LT, but if I do that, I completely undo the whole reason I justified getting a Stomp. Must resist . . . for now . . .

One of these days you'll have to let me know if it was significantly cooler to have the full unit. Maybe Christmas 2019 for me!

Just now, Kilrahi said:

1. Yes you would need to attach a cable to the "Send Stereo" output of the HX Stomp.

2. It mixes them.  I personally wouldn't recommend doing that. I'd have path B go to a separate output like you did in the above computer graphic.

You bought the LT?  Lucky bugger. I know the feeling because I bought the Stomp, but as soon as I started getting to know it I found myself wondering if I needed an LT, but if I do that, I completely undo the whole reason I justified getting a Stomp. Must resist . . . for now . . .

One of these days you'll have to let me know if it was significantly cooler to have the full unit. Maybe Christmas 2019 for me!

OK I will work on that tonight then the answer to number 1 well i guess and 2.

I did get one because I play at different churches and sometimes I can take a pedalboard and amp, sometimes i can take just a pedalboard but they don't like amps etc so I have a few choices now. 

1 LT for just plug in and go

2 pedalboard and amp for ones that let me have a cab

3 pedalboard and hx stomp for amp sim
I also grabbed a two notes captor so I can even plug my clubman into the captor then the captor into the hx stomp and use it for IRs only another silent option.

On top of all of that I have had an H9 max for a while and honestly never really bonded with it, so the stomp may just take the place of the H9...

TOO many options!

• Like 1