Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Long Time Doubt And New Doubt :)

mqueluz

Ok, old doubt: When I first bought DT25, I was blown away by the sound and feel of the amp itself. I love every topology (still running on the first firmware). But I was used to the "one button changes it all" from the spider valve, so I bought the HD500. I never could get the feel I had with the amp alone using the hd500. But I ended up using it with L6 link anyway. Years went by. Yesterday I plugged the guitar straight to the amp alone, and damn.... It's f.... amazing!! I know everybody says it sounds the same, and maybe it does, but that feel and response I get from the amp alone it's just not there, so I'm considering using the amp as a 2 channel amp and use the pod hd500 only as an effects unit. I just wanted to know if there's anybody who can relate to this.

New doubt: I still didn't update the firmware, from the DT25. I'm considering doing it but I'm affraid of losing those great 4 sounds I get from the amp now.

How do the amp models compare to the old ones? And what about the new amp models? 

Thank you very much.

• Upvote 1

I had the HD500 sometime before I acquired the DT50 Head and I was blown away by the tone also. Love this thing. I'm on the road to learning about using MIDI to send commands to it in order to change amps and other functions that are with the 2.0 update.

I know everybody says it sounds the same, and maybe it does, but that feel and response I get from the amp alone it's just not there, so I'm considering using the amp as a 2 channel amp and use the pod hd500 only as an effects unit. I just wanted to know if there's anybody who can relate to this.

I haven't noticed this lack of feel and response, keep in mind I'm using the DT50 Head. I didn't notice anything bad after I updated the DT50 Head, only good.

• Upvote 1

Did not notice a change when updating DT25 FW.

I believe that as long as you are not using the new features you will not notice a difference in sound.

The update is really more geared towards improving the Amp's capability for users w/o a Pod.

But one can use the new features to reduce DSP load on the Pods by programming and selecting reverbs on the DT.

This is only theory for me (I have never tried that although the doc says it should work). It seems pretty involved to do so (via MIDI control from Pod) and may not be worth the trouble.

• Upvote 1

Oh Yeah, Don't forget if you have the HD500 you can use that to send MIDI to the DT's also. I'm looking to learn about using an iPhone or iPod for MIDI just to have options and expand my knowledge, iPhones & iPods are lighter and easier to carry than computers.

But one can use the new features to reduce DSP load on the Pods by programming and selecting reverbs on the DT.

This is only theory for me (I have never tried that although the doc says it should work). It seems pretty involved to do so (via MIDI control from Pod) and may not be worth the trouble.

I believe your right about the reduced DSP load on the POD.

Brazzy, with the hd500 you can only send one cc message at a time, wich gets kind of limited, but that's maybe what i'm going for, using the 4 cable method...

For those that don't have a pod, with the new firmware, how do you select 30 different amps on the amp?

• Upvote 1

I don't know exactly what equipment you would use but I believe there are pedal MIDI controllers that can be programmed to send out any MIDI control message and as many as you want. You could use one of those to select all DT settings you are interested in like tones from teh Pod.

You can also program 8 configurations in the Channel A/B Type I/II/II/IV slots selectable on the Amp itself. Obviously that only gets you access to 8 pre-wired setups, but that may go a long way for a gig situation. The DT Amps are just delivered with a pre-wired configuration of pre amp model and Amp type.

• Upvote 1

You need to program the DT via MIDI to setup what's recalled by the Channel/Type flip switches on the Amp.

There is no way change the programming (except for a reset that restores the factory programming).

Download the DT MIDI document from Line 6 to get the full scoop.

• Upvote 1

you cant do anything more on the amp itself with the update... you need a midi connection and other midi tools.

there are some applications pinned to the forum that should make it easy.

the settings are sticky... use the app pick amp/settings... change topo do it again...

I think this update is really nice, but I junt don't understand how you select the amp models, with the amps buttons :)

Is there any manual or video about the new functionalities?

I would also say that you can certainly get 99% of the same sound using L6Link

the update is great for opening up standalone options...

but the integration is worthwhile... 

• Upvote 1

Brazzy, with the hd500 you can only send one cc message at a time, wich gets kind of limited, but that's maybe what i'm going for, using the 4 cable method...

For those that don't have a pod, with the new firmware, how do you select 30 different amps on the amp?

Good to know as I haven't tried it yet with HD500. I'm not sure how well it works but I'm going to give DT EDIT a try, just for a test run.

I use DT edit just for Channel B. I use the pod for channel A. Not that it does anything that the pod doesn't except add a boost if you like . as far as I can see the only new item is being able to add the Boost to all amps. I know my DT50 2x12 gets its boost from an extra tube but the DT25 boost is software I believe (not coming from a tube).

that boost is really for the internal amp/preamp interaction, and not really supposed to be accessed as a "boost" effect

it was always there and was setup as on/off based on the real amp/model that was selected.

I use DT edit just for Channel B. I use the pod for channel A. Not that it does anything that the pod doesn't except add a boost if you like . as far as I can see the only new item is being able to add the Boost to all amps. I know my DT50 2x12 gets its boost from an extra tube but the DT25 boost is software I believe (not coming from a tube).

• Upvote 1

that boost is really for the internal amp/preamp interaction, and not really supposed to be accessed as a "boost"

it was always there and was setup as on/off based on the real amp/model that was selected.

I don't think I would have figured that anytime soon, lol. Thanks

Yes Mr Zap you are correct should have been a little more in depth. It was originally only on the AC30 model correct. I don't really equate it's effect to a boost pedal type of boost. But there is a tonal difference when used. Kind of like adding more presence.

oh yeah... the whole 2.0 update makes it into a little amp factory... that's the fun of it!

i think it was on more models than the AC30...

in fact i think it wasn't engaged on the AC30 and should have been (by default)

which was fixed in the 2.0 update.

Yes Mr Zap you are correct should have been a little more in depth. It was originally only on the AC30 model correct. I don't really equate it's effect to a boost pedal type of boost. But there is a tonal difference when used. Kind of like adding more presence.

I agree it is fun and makes Dialing in tones much easier I have started to look at it less as Dialing in a specific amp and thinking more about the specific sound I want. I have found 13 different ways to achieve the Evh brown sound now I am trying for Kenny G's (needless south park plug sorry).