Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV89F massive volume difference between mags and models

Acquired aJTV89F.  I already have a JTV69S where I've been very happy with the volume balance between the mags and models when switching from one to the other.On the 89F, however, the mags are WAY too out of balance withe model volumes.  When playing any model and then switching to mags, (without switching any amp or POD settings) they are VERY overbearing. Even turning the volume knob halfway down still has them too loud. The models are pumped up in workbench. Before going loony, since this doesn't happen on my 69, i would like to ask if these pickups are just that much hotter by nature, or does that indicate I have a problem, and if so, is there a solution?  Thanks for any advice

I’d re-install the firmware and reset all the models on any Variax I bought to set to factory settings. Then adjust the global string volumes to match the string outputs. Then start playing with WorkbenchHD to make model changes.

Hi amsdenj. Thanks for the reply. That's the first thing i do when getting any Variax. Re - flash, do the factory models settings thing and all that. As mentioned, i pumped up all the models to max output in workbench.  Tried with  my PODhd500, straight through to amp, with power kit and battery trying to eliminate any silly items, even though I knew those things were not the gremlin.  Lowered the pickups and all that. I can live with it, but since my 69 does not exhibit the same symptoms and is well balanced between mags and models, I did not know if this model, since it's a "shredder" type axe, was just built that way. If i run into another i can compare, but that isn't an option at the moment. Bob

Sorry I dunno 89's and perhaps it's not possible but have you tried lowering the pickup height to decrease signal output?  

Owned a Strat with Texas Specials - so much hotter than my other axes but dropping pickup height definitely helped diminish the difference.