Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp - Freezing Up - Unresponsive... :(

bobscribbly

HX Stomp brand new - upgraded to 2.7 - Froze up when running 2.6.5 and has done so again since upgrading to 2.7 - I was never doing anything more taxing than running stock patches it shipped with when it locked up/became unresponsive [had to hard reset by switching on/off unit - have also tried restoring it to factory defaults] HX Stomp only ever used in a temperature controlled room but still noticed it gets a bit warm. At this point I would not trust it to do a session or a show because of it randomly freezing/locking up, other than that I really like it. What would people suggest I do, will a replacement behave any differently; I here quite a few early adopters are experiencing the same problems.......:(

I have only read a handful of reports of problems, to be honest... Anyway, open up a ticket, and Line 6 will get it sorted. It shouldn’t be locking up.

As far as the Stomp getting warm, that’s completely normal. There’s a lot of electronics packed into a small box. It’s even mentioned in the FAQ thread on this page.

• Like 2

My Stomp has worked just fine, and I've put it through a few rigorous things (preset fun, dual signal chains, 4 cable method, effects use, heavy snapshot use).

The thing has performed like a dream for me (and yes, it gets very warm - totally awesome during winter time).

I'd give Line 6 a chance to fix it rather than bail on it.  It's a solid machine and it does have a beefy warranty which should give early adopters less worry.

Thanks for your replies, I have contacted the shop I bought it from and Yamaha directly as they look after Line 6 support in my country. I really am wary of using this product as I never know when it will lock up; am scared of it bricking itself during a show. Buying a gen 1 product is always risky, as this an extension of the helix product line I thought I'd be safe... Lesson learnt, perhaps I should have bought an LT instead..... :(

2 hours ago, bobscribbly said:

Thanks for your replies, I have contacted the shop I bought it from and Yamaha directly as they look after Line 6 support in my country. I really am wary of using this product as I never know when it will lock up; am scared of it bricking itself during a show. Buying a gen 1 product is always risky, as this an extension of the helix product line I thought I'd be safe... Lesson learnt, perhaps I should have bought an LT instead..... :(

Seriously, there’s really no reason to be that worried about. There’s been thousands sold so far, and I’ve one seen a few reports of failures. It’s bound to happen with any electronic item. There will always been some that go bad... Line 6 will honor the warranty and replace it should it happen. Usually when electronic are going to fail because of a bad part or something, they fail within the first few hours of being turned on. And that sounds like what happened in your case.

I use it on tour as my main rig now. Big gamble, but so far it’s been great. Last night the stomp lights froze, though. 2nd time it happens in about 10 shows so far. Tap is still working, but all lights are solid (in any stomp mode), and set to whenever they froze regardless of which patch the stomps activate. A hard reset fixes it, but it’s definitely something that should be addressed.... 

• 7 months later...

Got mine yesterday, freezes all the time. Firmware update was a nightmare, but somehow i got it updated. Now the software jam 2-5 min. after i've turned it on. Apparently there's a lot of bad units, so this will go back again since it's unreliable. I've followed these steps with no effect, beside the Line 6 firmware update recommendation. As i remember it came with firmware 2.65 and it was working fine. Played around 2 hours with no issues. 

12 hours ago, mmnmmn said:

Got mine yesterday, freezes all the time. Firmware update was a nightmare, but somehow i got it updated. Now the software jam 2-5 min. after i've turned it on. Apparently there's a lot of bad units, so this will go back again since it's unreliable. I've followed these steps with no effect, beside the Line 6 firmware update recommendation. As i remember it came with firmware 2.65 and it was working fine. Played around 2 hours with no issues. 

I have no reason to believe there are a lot of bad units. There are a few that have issues, I’m sure, but there have been tens of thousands of Stomps sold, and the vast majority are fine. Anyway, did you try doing a factory reset after updating the firmware? To do a reset, hold FS 2&3 together while powering up. I would give that a shot before sending it back.

Hi, and thank you for your respones!

Yes, i've tried that too. It's usually when it gets a little warm and i scroll though the presets (also 2.80) then it freezes. When i reboot it won't start up again. I have to wait for 2-4 min. before i can restart.

Maybe you can make a test for me? 

I'm on v2.80 now, but it was the same on v2.71

1. Turn your unit on
  2. Let it be for like 10 min. until it's warm
  3. Then scroll though the presets for a little while (Until it freezes)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 7/19/2019 at 7:51 PM, mmnmmn said:

Hi, and thank you for your respones!

Yes, i've tried that too. It's usually when it gets a little warm and i scroll though the presets (also 2.80) then it freezes. When i reboot it won't start up again. I have to wait for 2-4 min. before i can restart.

Maybe you can make a test for me? 

I'm on v2.80 now, but it was the same on v2.71

1. Turn your unit on
  2. Let it be for like 10 min. until it's warm
  3. Then scroll though the presets for a little while (Until it freezes)

I have the same issue. It is very hard for me to replace because I purcashed it in Germany but I am living in Turkey. There is no dealer here at the moment. I must find a way.

You wrote your new item is fine. Is it still OK so far? I want to be sure before I replace my unit becaue it will be very tough process to replace it.

• 1 year later...

All right. I solved my problem and I want to share it with everyone.

I just bought and HX Stomp which had bios software version 2.65 on it. I installed updater 3.1 and there was an error and then the device failed to boot up.

I  updated the software using an outdated and old laptop. I think that was the main problem.

Here are the steps that solved the problem:

1. Install Line 6 updater on another computer with latest windows updates.

2. Download the latest flash memory from Line 6 website. It is an *.hxf file format.

3. While turning on the device push the >page button. Note the screen shows nothing (Blank). Do not worry. It is on updating mode though interestingly does not show any thing.

4. Run the Line 6 updater. Here updater should recognize the a device with unknown software version.

5. Choose HX Stomp from the list.

6. Choose update using a file. Select the flash memory .hxf file from your hard disk.

7. Run update.

And Voila. Your system is recovered.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

PS. The photo shows the screen on step 4

image.png.2b42106ec64a0f96fc6f3e5a8224c996.png

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I had the same problem. 

Sharing as an update to the post above

- I updated to 3.7 and I think my screen went to sleepmodus which troubled the update proces.

- an error in the update proces crashed the hx stomp

- the screen freezes on the beginscreen

- the hx stomp was not responding 

- no resets were possible.

I used this method to fix it:

it included downloading drivers and an updater. Then i was possible to update and the problem was fixed!