Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FBV3 expression pedal died.

Just repaired the LED in my FBV MkII Express. While probably a lot of different LEDs will work just fine thanks to calibration I wanted something close to the original design which uses an infrared LED (the photo transistor has its peak sensitivity at IR wavelength). Also, some older Line 6 pedals use a circuit with 5V and a resistor to protect the LED while others like my FBV MkII Express, the HD500 series etc employ a 3.3V circuit with FET and resistor (the LED is switched on by the main board). This matters because LEDs in the visible spectrum like the white LEDs recommended in some other posts have a much higher drop voltage (typ 3.1 V) than the original IR LED (1.5 V). Obviously this has quite an impact especially if your circuit is supplied by 3.3V because the white LED while emit with much less intensity (running at only approx 2.9V /4 mA with a 3.3V circuit) and not hitting the photo transistor's peak sensitivity.

I picked this IR LED as the best match I could find for the original LT5K83-AA (typ Vf=1.5V, If =20mA, Po =18mW radiant flux over sphere):

AREM-80C0-LM000 (Vf = 1.4V, If= 19mA in 3.3V/100Ohm circuit of FBV MkII Express). Works great.

Other good IR choices according to the data sheets:

Würth 15414185BA210

AREM-90C0-KL000
AA3528F3S (might have a shorter lifetime than the above due to higher thermal load).

All of these were available at DigiKey.

Even red LEDs should be a good choice and provide a better source for the original photo transistor than a white LED, such as:

AA3528SECKT/J3

In summary: Luckily we have lots of choices for a replacement.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 12:00 AM, HeinoExpress said:

Just repaired the LED in my FBV MkII Express. While probably a lot of different LEDs will work just fine thanks to calibration I wanted something close to the original design which uses an infrared LED (the photo transistor has its peak sensitivity at IR wavelength). Also, some older Line 6 pedals use a circuit with 5V and a resistor to protect the LED while others like my FBV MkII Express, the HD500 series etc employ a 3.3V circuit with FET and resistor (the LED is switched on by the main board). This matters because LEDs in the visible spectrum like the white LEDs recommended in some other posts have a much higher drop voltage (typ 3.1 V) than the original IR LED (1.5 V). Obviously this has quite an impact especially if your circuit is supplied by 3.3V because the white LED while emit with much less intensity (running at only approx 2.9V /4 mA with a 3.3V circuit) and not hitting the photo transistor's peak sensitivity.

I picked this IR LED as the best match I could find for the original LT5K83-AA (typ Vf=1.5V, If =20mA, Po =18mW radiant flux over sphere):

AREM-80C0-LM000 (Vf = 1.4V, If= 19mA in 3.3V/100Ohm circuit of FBV MkII Express). Works great.

Other good IR choices according to the data sheets:

Würth 15414185BA210

AREM-90C0-KL000
AA3528F3S (might have a shorter lifetime than the above due to higher thermal load).

All of these were available at DigiKey.

Even red LEDs should be a good choice and provide a better source for the original photo transistor than a white LED, such as:

AA3528SECKT/J3

In summary: Luckily we have lots of choices for a replacement.

I have the same issue with Helix LT ....I've found others components that could be another good choice

...which its better?

1 - OSI3CAS1C1A "IR transmitter; 3528,PLCC2; 20mW; 120°; λp max: 850nm; SMD; 50mA" => https://www.tme.eu/Document/f8a721dc59b4b1a4be24e9cc54a85cdb/OSI3CAS1C1A.pdf

2 - "TruOpto OSI3CAS1C1A 3528 PLCC2 Infrared LED 120° 20mW/Sr 850nm 70mA Water Clear" => https://www.rapidonline.com/truopto-osi3cas1c1a-3528-plcc2-infrared-led-120-20mw-sr-850nm-70ma-water-clear-55-9077

..and here some red light(seems that the current "20mA" its closer to original one):

3- KA-3528SURC => (LED, Red, SMD, 3.5mm x 2.8mm, 20 mA, 1.9 V, 628 nm) => https://es.farnell.com/en-ES/kingbright/ka-3528surc/led-red-230mcd-628nm-smd/dp/2687152

Thanks!

• 9 months later...
On 9/27/2022 at 12:43 AM, dormatzliah said:

THANK YOU!

Found this thread a few months ago when I noticed my old and barely used FBV3's expression pedal stopped working.

My unit's warranty is long gone so I opened it and replaced the LED, works like a charm.

Hi! I Had the LED replaced by my drummer, who happens to be an electrician. But the pedal range is off, it goes from about 35 to about 110. Should the LED have some particular tech specs? Thanks a lot!