Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Factory patches level setting

chief_wigam

In regards to the factory patches - in particular the "Performance" partches i.e. Rock, Indie, Blues, etc as the levels are not balanced and seem to be somewhat random, has anybody balanced the levels? I would be interested in a copy of the patches.

In other words, it should be possible to reference the patches from one of them which has a level setting at the right level with say the red and white global level at 12 'o'clock.

I'm wondering if any body has tried that and has had any success?

Setting the level for each patch is done in the Amp Block.  The Volume setting on the HD Amps (Blue) will set the channel volume.  The Master Volume is like turning the amp up/down via the control on the amp, where as the Volume setting is like sliding a fader on the soundboard.  

The Pod Farm amps (Red), just use the Volume setting.  Also you will have to take into account the compressor block after the Amp block, as that can effect your overall volume as well.  

I understood that the Master Volume on HD (blue) amps is the output level of the preamp to the power amp. This affects tone.

The volume (pink level) is the output of the entire amp. This doesn't affect tone.

Where is the "sweet spot" for the white level? I have read somewhere that it is around 12 O'clock. The white level apparently also affects tone as it is guitar level output which is an input to the chain.

11 hours ago, chief_wigam said:

I understood that the Master Volume on HD (blue) amps is the output level of the preamp to the power amp. This affects tone.

The volume (pink level) is the output of the entire amp. This doesn't affect tone.

Where is the "sweet spot" for the white level? I have read somewhere that it is around 12 O'clock. The white level apparently also affects tone as it is guitar level output which is an input to the chain.

Wait, what?  Are you sure?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but the white level is the guitar level, so that you can mix the balance between your guitar input and any midi music/other instruments you input into the Firehawk.  Neither effect tone at all. 

I have read somewhere that as the white level (guitar volume) is an input, it does affect tone and will also affect relative levels between patches. So when you save the patches at the volume you want with the white knob in a certain position, you should leave it there. The only time you change the white level is when you have to - which is only when you are listening to midi music etc with headphones. But I guess if you've originally set your patches with a white level setting using the same headphones, then even then you wouldn't need to change the white level. Is this right?

23 hours ago, chief_wigam said:

I have read somewhere that as the white level (guitar volume) is an input, it does affect tone and will also affect relative levels between patches. So when you save the patches at the volume you want with the white knob in a certain position, you should leave it there. The only time you change the white level is when you have to - which is only when you are listening to midi music etc with headphones. But I guess if you've originally set your patches with a white level setting using the same headphones, then even then you wouldn't need to change the white level. Is this right?

The white level is a subset of the Master volume and as such it is not a tone control and does not impact tone (with the caveat that all sounds will sound different with volume, but it isn't because the guitar runs out of headroom and begins to clip).

You are correct that it's wise to save a preset at a level you like, but you should think of it as more of a mixing control rather than a tone control.

20 hours ago, chief_wigam said:

Ok yeah got that.

But if you have made all your patch levels right at home with headphones, then when go to a rehearsal room with the band, you should expect the levels to still be right, as long as the white level is at the same position it was when you saved the patches. Right?

I would expect it to be closer, BUT headphones is never a very good approximation for a band setting so I bet you'd have to do some tweaking. It's a starting point though.

• 1 month later...

After nine months,I understood that it was the level of white LEDs
to change my cruncy tones because I used two different amplifiers
in the practice and in the research of tones,
a small roland microcube and then again on the ENGL Thunder with stages volumes
I have always underestimated the level of white LEDs and his set.
Thanks to all from Italy.

The red and white levels are global and are not saved with each patch.  The only level available from the center level knob set individually for each patch is the pink level or amp volume which does not affect tone.  

The white level is only the balance between the guitar tone and the mp3 playback and should not affect tone.  If it does then that is a fault with the system as I don't believe it was intended to affect tone.  Line 6 gurus welcome to jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong...

I set my red and white levels at 12:00 and ALWAYS leave them there for gigs and group practice.  Same with our other guitar player who runs a Firehawk FX as well.  We run straight into the PA and monitor our guitars thru the wedge foldback monitors.  I adjust the gain on the PA channel input to get near unity gain on the loudest lead patches so we don't overload the PA channel (Behringer XR18R wireless digital mixer).  We set our lead patches on the Firehawks about 10 to 20 percent higher than our rhythm patches and this allows us to cut thru when we are playing leads.

I get the levels between the patches I use equaled out by using the amp volume level (pink level) and by adjusting the gain in the fixed compressor stage or in one of the stomps or effects if I need to.  This is usually needed on clean amp patches as they are way down for some reason.

I run sound from the stage and am the sound guy for our band 98 percent of the time so this helps balance out our sound tremendously with little issue.

Hope this helps somebody.

Cheers!