Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help a noob - tinny sound with Britt presets.

distantoverture

I'm new here.  

Decided to take the plunge on helix in order to use it mainly as an adjunct to my tube amps using 4CM.  However, I do play some small gigs where it would be nice to just take Helix and go direct.  I have just such a gig coming up next weekend.  

Since I don't really know how to use Helix yet and I have seen enough youtube videos to be slightly insecure in my ability to learn to get "optimal" tones out of it between now and then, I decided to take the easy way out and just download some presets from Michael Britt for use at the gig.  My plan is to go direct and use monitors for my personal sound.

Using Sony MDR 7506 headphones and a Suhr strat, I was surprised to find the presets very tinny sounding in comparison to what I had been expecting based on message board comments and videos I have seen.  Do you think this is a monitoring issue?  Had I dialed in my own tones,  they would have been much darker/fuller.  I was pretty diappointed, although I haven't heard anything through FOH.  Maybe they would be fine through that.  

My  other monitoring options are KRK 6 and Yamaha DXR 8, which I haven't tried yet (sleeping children).  

Thanks in advance for any insights.

My first thought would be...

Do the presets use an onboard speaker cab or are they using an IR, and if so....do you have any IR's loaded?  If not, even though the IR block is there, its referencing one of the 128 IR slots, but there is no 'file' there so its almost like the IR/Cab block is non existent.  

To remedy this, I would drop in an 'amp+cab' block for the same amp that the Britt presets use (if there is room in the signal chain, I'm not familiar with those presets) and match the settings in the amp portion but retain the stock cab that it uses.  If you bypass the 'Britt' amp/IR and only use the 'Amp+Cab' block and it sounds fine, then I'd bet its an IR/Cab issue.  If that sounds the same then I'd lean towards monitoring issues maybe?!?