Jump to content
zsprankle

Get HX Stomp or keep 1484?

Recommended Posts

Hey all,

 

I've been seriously considering trading my Silvertone 1484 head and AC15 to get a stomp. Just seems more practical to me, and a lot more reliable/predictable/easier to use and get what I want out of my rig. I currently have an HX Effects as my sole board. 

 

Anyways, am I crazy for even consideringetting my 1484 and AC15 go for a stomp?

 

TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well you're asking a bunch of digital converts if it's a good idea to do what we've all done already, lol...;)

 

Seriously though, you're the only one who knows what your wants/needs are...some guys make the jump to modelers and never look back. Others try it for a while and decide that they can't live without their tube amp(s). Different strokes... there's no "right" answer. 

 

Just DON'T go selling off your amps to finance a new rig until you decide what's gonna work for you in the long run....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No I agree completely. I've used Line 6 stuff since the early 2000's and have loved it. I really like my HX Effects too. My silvertone sounds sweet, but its wicked loud and my wife yells at me haha. I guess what's going to make my decision for me is do the amp models really sound the way I've been lead to believe they do? All the videos and sound clips ive heard sound great, but I've never played through them. The effects are great, I can attest to that. And how do the amp models sound thru a good set of headphones and/or monitors. 

 

I'll still keep my small Crate VC2110 if I need a real tube fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, zsprankle said:

No I agree completely. I've used Line 6 stuff since the early 2000's and have loved it. I really like my HX Effects too. My silvertone sounds sweet, but its wicked loud and my wife yells at me haha. I guess what's going to make my decision for me is do the amp models really sound the way I've been lead to believe they do? All the videos and sound clips ive heard sound great, but I've never played through them. The effects are great, I can attest to that. And how do the amp models sound thru a good set of headphones and/or monitors. 

 

I'll still keep my small Crate VC2110 if I need a real tube fix.

 

Just don't expect to hear the exact same thing you've found in YouTube demos the very second you open the box. It's NOT an amp... modelers behave a bit differently, and you can expect there to be a bit of a learning curve. But the sounds are in there if you put the time in....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much what everyone else said, I'm pretty dang biased. To me most guitarists are stuck in the stone ages. 

 

The sounds will never be EXACTLY what you had for any number of variables I won't bore you with. The same is true for two identical tube amps though. So knowing that fact, if you can live with amazing sound, even if not identical sound, but with even MORE sound options . . . 

 

Well then yeah.  I'm loving my stomp, and it's an amazing bedroom rig. Plug it in, plug guitar in, plug headphones in, and drowned in sound. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just bear in mind that the Helix will only sound as good as whatever you plug it into for output.  So there's likely to be more of an investment than just the Stomp to think about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I think my mind is made up. Gonna start planning to get the stomp. Just for fun, what do yall think of trade in at GC or Sam Ash? I know they don't give retail but it's a lot less hassle than private sales...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zsprankle said:

Well I think my mind is made up. Gonna start planning to get the stomp. Just for fun, what do yall think of trade in at GC or Sam Ash? I know they don't give retail but it's a lot less hassle than private sales...

 

That's not a horrible idea. In fact, if you are offering to buy the Stomp on the same trip it may get you an even better deal. You should also consider Ebay or Reverb.

 

I usually use Ebay. I get more than from a music store or a local sale, and it's faster. This is even after fees. I've heard Reverb lands more than Ebay, but I don't know if it's as fast.

 

Enjoy the Stomp ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had my silvertone on fbook marketplace for a few weeks now and no hits at all. Lots of views though. Private sale IMO is a lot of hassle to get a decent price and my silvertone is nice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, zsprankle said:

I've had my silvertone on fbook marketplace for a few weeks now and no hits at all. Lots of views though. Private sale IMO is a lot of hassle to get a decent price and my silvertone is nice

 

I've had similar problems on Facebook.  It seems like the Facebook marketplace only caters to certain groups (cars, crafts, clothes).

 

To buy my stomp, I tried to sell my Pod HD 500x through Facebook marketplace where I've successfully sold a car and other items before. I had absolutely ZERO hits and I had it listed at about $150 which is low. My Pod was in near mint condition too because I just take care of my stuff.

 

I listed it on Ebay and it sold at the end of 7 days for $250 (including shipping). Considering I bought it on sale for $400 and got great use out of it I felt pretty good about that. Ebay and Reverb actually cater to musicians a bit more than Facebook so I think you can do better there.

 

Another idea would be to see what the items are going for on those groups and compare it to what your music store offered. If it's close enough or even higher, so much the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've posted the amp to craigslist in my area and already got a scammer... I'll try and post it to ebay today. 

 

Am I crazy for trying to pair the stomp and my hx effects? Been thinking about it more. The more I think about it, the more I think an LT would make more sense...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zsprankle said:

I've posted the amp to craigslist in my area and already got a scammer... I'll try and post it to ebay today. 

 

Am I crazy for trying to pair the stomp and my hx effects? Been thinking about it more. The more I think about it, the more I think an LT would make more sense...

 

Yes, lol... you're already into the HX for $600. Another $600 for the Stomp doesn't make much sense, as you'll have spent more than the cost of the LT... and while we're at it, getting an LT at this point is silly too. You'd be out $1600, at which point you will have out-spent the cost of a full Helix, and you'll have purchased all the same FX twice. If you're gonna make a change now, the only thing that makes financial sense is getting whatever you can for the HX and get a full Helix... unless you can get back more than half of what you paid for the HX, you'll be getting close to $1500 out of pocket even if you get the LT... won't be saving much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My local GC has a used LT for 799.99. I was thinking about trying to go for that. But yes then I would have no need for the HX Effects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, zsprankle said:

My local GC has a used LT for 799.99. I was thinking about trying to go for that. But yes then I would have no need for the HX Effects.

 

I'm just going to jump in here and say that I don't actually think you're crazy for thinking of an HX Stomp where you already have an HX Effects. That's EXACTLY the type of market Stomp was designed for. People who already had an existing pedalboard and were looking to expand it.

 

Granted, MOST people don't have a Helix powered effects board that already has a smorgasbord of effects like you do. Realistically though, that is the primary reason why the bloody thing was invented. The bigger question is are you thinking carefully about your needs before you buy the gear. For example, what was the thought process behind getting the HX Effects vs. the Helix LT in the first place?

 

This is important because it would be crazy to keep spending a lot of money (because these all cost a lot of money) for something that doesn't satisfy so that you end up spending money on something even more amped up. If you buy the Helix LT, will you suddenly find yourself pining for the full Helix?

 

There's a very specific reason I bought an HX Stomp over a Helix LT. I had already invested in a Firehawk 1500 and I wanted to incorporate Helix sounds without rendering the expensive Firehawk investment useless. The Stomp did exactly that. Is that story true for you?  Or is it more likely you just want to start all over?

 

Now, the other downside to me is I love new toys. So someday I'll probably buy a Helix LT anyway because I'm a moron.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want the stomp to go to solely DI. Not have to mess with lugging an amp around and miking it up, so on so forth... also for the simple fact that $600 can get me an awesome sounding Matchless, Deluxe, plexi, you name it. Also it allows me to practice very quietly and it's an interface to record as well. All I really see are pros for me.

 

The only thing that has me worried is that I want my wet effects to be after the amp and I'm unsure if I'll be able to add what I use with the 6 block restriction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, zsprankle said:

I want the stomp to go to solely DI. Not have to mess with lugging an amp around and miking it up, so on so forth... also for the simple fact that $600 can get me an awesome sounding Matchless, Deluxe, plexi, you name it. Also it allows me to practice very quietly and it's an interface to record as well. All I really see are pros for me.

 

The only thing that has me worried is that I want my wet effects to be after the amp and I'm unsure if I'll be able to add what I use with the 6 block restriction. 

 

That sounds like a pretty cool idea. I don't personally think you'll run into problems with your goal to have the wet effects after the amp. Especially with the multiple ins and outs on both the HX Stomp and the HX Effects.

 

Heck, especially where the majority of what you need for the Stomp are the amp/cab effects and your HX effects can handle the heavy lifting with all of the wet effects blocks. Like a hypothetical chain might be:

 

Guitar in >>>> HX Stomp >>>>> Distortion choice >>>> Amp Choice >>>> FX loop block >>>> Out Stereo FX send In to HX Effects input of some type >>>> adding multiple wet effects >>>> out an HX effects output choice >>>> in to HX Stomp stereo FX return >>>> out HX Stomp to DI.

 

Assuming I understood what you wanted, that's not very complicated. If you needed multiple distortion choices that might be a little messier, but even with the above path you still have 3 blocks remaining in the Stomp since your HX Effects can take a lot of the burden off of the Stomp.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've planned on getting the extra foot switches for the stomp.

 

I was just thinking guitar > HX Effects > comp > stg1 drive > stg2 drive > send1 > mono in stomp > amp > AO verb > short tape delay > stereo dot 1/8 delay > stereo return to HX effects > big verbs and mods etc > stero out > stereo return stomp > stereo out stomp.

 

It works in my head but I'm not sure if it would in real life haha

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were in your shoes (and I was 2 years ago), I would sell the amp/effects and get the Helix LT. From the sound of your post, you want simplicity- walk into a gig with the fewest amount of cables/components/amps. Plug in. Play. Sound good. The LT is perfect for that. I’ve used tube combos, analog pedal boards, modeling amps, etc, and I’m happier with my LT straight into our PA/mixer than with any other previous setup. Full disclosure- I kept one tube amp and one pedal board. Just in case...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×