Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Double playback into speakers and daw.

dandaponde

Hi, I don’t know if this is a dumb question but I have my Helix set to 1/4” out to my speakers and have USB set to computer. When I open my DAW and set to record, I was wondering if I can hault the straight signal to my speakers while I monitor through the DAW. There is two signals simultaneously coming through my speakers, direct and through the DAW. I hope this makes sense. 

11 minutes ago, dandaponde said:

I know I could switch the channel monitor off in the daw. The problem is the opposite. I want sound only coming from the daw and not direct.  If I use the big knob, it changes the level both from direct playback and the daw at the same time. 

Sorry, I misread. If you want to monitor the Helix while recording, then the Channel monitoring switch is your only option.

You could use a separate interface to get what you want, but latency may become a problem depending on the unit, and your computer's horsepower. I run Helix into a Focusrite 2i4, which has a feature they call "direct monitoring", but it's actually a blend control of the direct line-in from Helix, and the playback from the DAW. You can use the blend control with the DAW's direct monitoring turned off, or set it to 100% playback, with the DAW's direct monitoring on... I've done it both ways and honestly, I can't tell the difference. The Focusrite stuff is pretty decent...I think they boast something like a 2-3 ms round trip latency. Whatever it is, it's minimal, and  only becomes a problem if you try to blend the direct signal with the playback while the DAW's direct monitoring is turned on. That'll give you both signals and an annoying chorus-like effect.

11 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

You could use a separate interface to get what you want, but latency may become a problem depending on the unit, and your computer's horsepower. I run Helix into a Focusrite 2i4, which has a feature they call "direct monitoring", but it's actually a blend control of the direct line-in from Helix, and the playback from the DAW. You can use the blend control with the DAW's direct monitoring turned off, or set it to 100% playback, with the DAW's direct monitoring on... I've done it both ways and honestly, I can't tell the difference. The Focusrite stuff is pretty decent...I think they boast something like a 2-3 ms round trip latency. Whatever it is, it's minimal, and  only becomes a problem if you try to blend the direct signal with the playback while the DAW's direct monitoring is turned on. That'll give you both signals and an annoying chorus-like effect.

This is also how I do it, using a Focusrite 18i20. While the Helix works fine as an Audio Interface, you're limited by it's routing capabilities. It also has slightly higher latency than the Focusrite (2nd gen) and many other AI's. Unless you're using additional effects in your DAW, there really isn't any reason to monitor recording Helix through the DAW, you're just adding latency, which is why I suggested the Channel Monitoring switch. 

28 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

This is also how I do it, using a Focusrite 18i20. While the Helix works fine as an Audio Interface, you're limited by it's routing capabilities. It also has slightly higher latency than the Focusrite (2nd gen) and many other AI's. Unless you're using additional effects in your DAW, there really isn't any reason to monitor recording Helix through the DAW, you're just adding latency, which is why I suggested the Channel Monitoring switch. 

Yup... that and I'm lazy...I want a master volume right in front of me at arm's length, not on the floor. ;)

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Yup... that and I'm lazy...I want a master volume right in front of me at arm's length, not on the floor. ;)

And I use a nanoKontrol for the DAW UI, so I don't have to wrestle with the nasty mouse......

What I'M saying is that, if you MUST, for some reason, monitor the Helix signal through the DAW while recording (thus making the channel strip monitor button not a solution), then using an external sound card is your best option, UNLESS.....

If you set your presets' outputs to USB 1/2, and in Globals, set "USB IN 1/2 Destination" to 1/4", does that work? Try it! Worst that could happen is a small thermonuclear explosion that destroys everything in a 5 mile radius.....

2 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

If you're not using any FX on the channel Helix is running into in your DAW there is no reason to monitor through the DAW (if you're using Helix as your interface). You guitar signal will come out of the Helix anyways. 

Ah I see what your’e saying. Because when I turn monitoring off, it is still recording the signal... my idiot brain never even thought of this. 

• Upvote 1