Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ebay Horror Story, Can This Be Fixed?

So after a lot of debate I decide to sell my beautiful JT 59 Tobacco Sunburst variax guitar on Ebay. Long story short, The guitar was sold and I natuarlly needed to ship it to the winning buyer.

The guitar was placed inside the included Line 6 gig bag, the gig bag was wrapped with plenty of high-quality bubble wrap, and I also used plenty of those little air bag mailers to fill in any spaces to make sure the guitar couldn't move around inside the box. The box and packing materials were the same ones Sweetwater Sound used to mail me the guitar back after a recent tuneup on October 16th.

The package was picked up by UPS, and I also made sure a signature was required on delivery.

Buyer signs and receives package 4 days later, and then he emails me the same day saying he is really excited that the guitar arrived, but that he didn't open it yet. Later that day, he sends me pictures of the guitar inside the gig bag with the headstock completely broken off the guitar (see attached photos), and demands I address the issue.

Paypal orders him to ship the guitar back to me. I have received the package and have filed a damage claim with UPS. The guitar and package are currently scheduled for an inspection.

So for now, my big question would be, with the guitar having a set neck, can Line 6 or someone else fix this type of damage, and would it be worth the cost?

Thanks for reading.

post-1776211-0-83058900-1383926973_thumb.jpg

post-1776211-0-78155200-1383926985_thumb.jpg

It sounds like you did everything right, but good luck getting UPS to fork over.  In my experience, when you deal directly with them they always find a way to make it your fault for not packing correctly.   I packed my JTV-69 myself when it went out for Plek-ing, but it's considerably more difficult to break a Strat-like instrument with no cross-grain at the headstock.  When it came to my beloved PRS Custom 24, I sucked it up and had the UPS Store pack it.  I would rather not have spent the extra $50+, but their deal with UPS guarantees that damage claims will be honored - if you let them do the entire job.

Thanks for the replies guys. Just having a really hard time believing this kind of damage could have occured considering the well-padded Line 6 gig bag and the all of the bubble wrap and air bags. I've sold about 15 guitars, including basses since 2004 on Ebay and never had a broken headstock, or any type of damage for that matter Either UPS drove a truck over this thing, or the buyer decided he didn't like the guitar and took the easy way out (snap!). I'll have to sit tight until UPS gives me the verdict, but its somewhat good to know the damage could be fixed, although I certainly don't have the funds right now to do so.

OUch I feel your pain. I will never buy a glued neck so whatever happens looks like you'll loose money in the process.

warmoth.com sell good necks but your goal wasn't to spend money when you choose to sell your guitar. :(

Hello all! I actually work at Warmoth and unfortunately we don't have or can we make anything that would work with the 89 or 89F. I have dealt with one customer that had the 69 Strat style Variax and with some minor sanding of the neck pocket he was able to get it to fit and it worked great for him! Our necks and bodies that we make are built to Fender spec's and here's a link that show what spec's and dimensions that we build to http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/faq2.aspx No up selling on my part but just wanted to share some knowledge!

For repair work I'd be happy to refer you to www.ntlguitar.com That guy has some pics of some resotration and repair work that look absolutely flawless! I hope that helps.

I have a brand new 89F coming to me next week that I got off of eBay so this post peaked my interest. I'll let you all know how my 89F purchase turns out after I get it.

Welcome! you'll probably get real popular real quick around here! everyone seems to love warmoth.

Hello all! I actually work at Warmoth and unfortunately we don't have or can we make anything that would work with the 89 or 89F. I have dealt with one customer that had the 69 Strat style Variax and with some minor sanding of the neck pocket he was able to get it to fit and it worked great for him! Our necks and bodies that we make are built to Fender spec's and here's a link that show what spec's and dimensions that we build to http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/faq2.aspx No up selling on my part but just wanted to share some knowledge!

For repair work I'd be happy to refer you to www.ntlguitar.com That guy has some pics of some resotration and repair work that look absolutely flawless! I hope that helps.

I have a brand new 89F coming to me next week that I got off of eBay so this post peaked my interest. I'll let you all know how my 89F purchase turns out after I get it.

• Upvote 1

Welcome! you'll probably get real popular real quick around here! everyone seems to love warmoth.

We make some great stuff that's for sure! Any pros or cons in regards to the 89F? I just want to know what I'm in for besides loss of sleep and calused fingertips. I tried one out at my local shop and was amazed by the sounds and tones that I was able to hear. I'm soooooooo looking for it to get delivered!