Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Crazy A-- Idea - FBV3 to HX Stomp?

Kilrahi

This is a question intended for some sort of guru on this site, of which I've noticed there are plenty.

So here's the deal. I was sitting here with all my stuff, with my newest additions being the FBV 3 to control the Firehawk 1500, and my HX Stomp. I was asking myself if I wanted to buy an expression pedal or Midi controller for the HX Stomp to further broaden what it could do. 

Suddenly it dawned on me that the FBV 3 is a type of midi controller and would it be POSSIBLE to control the HX Stomp?  I know it can be used to control intended Line 6 gear through the Cat 5 cable OR it is cable of controlling PC Software through the USB cable. 

Well, the Stomp is simply software in a box, but I immediately see a number of obvious issues:

1. The HX Stomp does not have a Cat 5 cable port, so the easiest testing method is toast. 

2. Both the HX Stomp and the FBV 3 have a USB port, but they are both printer USB ports (why do products do that?! - not saying there isn't a reason but it baffles me). I've never seen a USB cable with both printer ends. 

3. The Firehawk 1500 and a PC will power the FBV 3 - but the HX Stomp is a pretty dinky box - it seems unlikely it will power a device.

Still, if 3 did happen - which I won't know unless I figure out a way to solve problem 2, it would be pretty awesome actually.

Any thoughts?  Even if it's just taking a shotgun to the question (which, hey, killing grandiose ideas is still progress). 

I'm thinking problem #2 and #3 are what is going to kill the idea, which is too bad. Not saying it's bad design or anything, just that it would be one of those things that would be cool and yet is so close, but so far away. 

7 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

Both the HX Stomp and the FBV 3 have a USB port, but they are both printer USB ports (why do products do that?! - not saying there isn't a reason but it baffles me). I've never seen a USB cable with both printer ends. 

Because the USB ports are not meant to talk to each other. They need a HOST to operate as an in between. 

Your best bet is to connect the MIDI OUT/THROUGH from the Firehawk to the MIDI IN on the HX Stomp. Those are meant to talk to each other!

My guess is that you need to control the Firehawk with the FBV-3, then have the Firehawk communicate with the HX Stomp via MIDI... but it all comes down to the implementation on the Firehawk. I don't know what it is capable of, so I don't know what's possible. 

9 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

2. Both the HX Stomp and the FBV 3 have a USB port, but they are both printer USB ports (why do products do that?! - not saying there isn't a reason but it baffles me). I've never seen a USB cable with both printer ends. 

Well, basically USB has always been a directional protocol, with one device being the host and the other the device. There are some devices, like an iPad, that can essentially be both given the way they're used, but those are sort of the exception. One nice thing with the advent of USB C will be that the era of directional cables will be over.

Regarding using the FBV3 as a controller, it's not viable. You could use it as a MIDI over USB controller if you had the Stomp and FBV3 connected to the same computer, but other than that, there's no way to really do it. The FBV3 on its own isn't a MIDI controller. It only has that ability when attached to a computer because of its drivers. On its own, it's simply a dumb remote.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input folks.

Attaching it to the Firehawk and then trying to link up with the HX Stomp is an interesting idea. It does make me wonder. Would the FBV controller cable power the FBV - solving problem three. My first thought was then you'd have the FBV sending signals to both the Firehawk and Stomp which would cause problems, but I think once the USB is plugged into the FBV it turns off signal sending through the FBV controller so that might not be an issue. Then I'd just need to solve problem two . . .linking up the two devices.

Another idea I saw a youtube user do was connecting the FBV to a Rasberry Pi PC (which is nice and small) and THEN another device. That MIGHT do it - but then I'm getting too crazy for it to really be practical. I'd rather drop the $250 for a small Midi controller and another $130 for a solid expression pedal.

So it's probably an idea that forever was just one step too far away. 

If they ever make an FBV4 though that would be a big way to upgrade it. Give it Midi output and input ability. It would increase costs but might also significantly improve its marketability.