Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Couple of problems using the HXFX with Kemper

howdy-doo

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help, I'm having two problems (one might be how I have it set up admittedly);

The first is that when I use the HX with the Kemper, the HX is providing extra input volume which is driving the profiles harder. I've checked all my volumes on each pedal and they're all set to 0db and I've tested with no pedals turned on at all and the level is the same; it's only when the HX is turned off that the signal is as expected going to the Kemper.

Second is a very weird issue that has happened with the auto filter. It was setup as default (no settings on it were changed), and it was placed in the effects loop of the Kemper. The first time I turned it on with the Kemper it had no high end at all, only the bottom end was coming through, and background 'hiss' slowly increased to a decently audible level which then petered off after I had turned off the auto filter. The problem is that after this has happened the Kemper now regardless of anything being plugged in will have this very slow build up of hiss which just dissipates and goes back to normal, but I have no idea why this has happened or how to fix it. The hiss seems to have been coming from the kpa, but it was definitely kicked off by the hx and (whether it was just happen-stance timing or not) the auto filter effect. Auto filter seems to be working fine now but I have changed the output of the kpa to the line out rather than the monitor out which I was using before.

My setup is;

Guitar > HX input > HX effects loop send to Kemper input > Kemper effects send to HX effects loop return >  HX main output to Kemper effects return > Laney LFR-112 powered FRFR

I've checked the in/out settings in the HX and everything is instrument level

Everything is being run from the one extension lead

Effects loop on the kpa is in the X slot, and in the HX is one loop block placed before any modulation/delay

I'm not really sure of when to use ground lifts, but when the hiss has appeared I've just gone one by one through to turn each on/off to see if there's any difference and there isn't.

Any help is much appreciated!

I have never noticed the HX Effects to inherently produce a louder signal unless setup to do so. Actually... I've seen some people claim that it gets thinner and quieter than when it is bypassed... I never noticed that either. Are you 100% sure there isn't something in the path altering the volume?

2 hours ago, howdy-doo said:

I've checked the in/out settings in the HX and everything is instrument level

The loop send and return both have volume controls. If it is still sending too loud at instrument level you can turn the send down. 

I'll have another look later but I turned all of the effects off (including loop block) and it was the same. I'll probably just do as you've said to turn the loop down and see if that changes much. It's more the weird auto filter/hiss thing that I'm worried about but I'm hoping it's just a missed setting somewhere doing something funky

7 hours ago, codamedia said:

I have never noticed the HX Effects to inherently produce a louder signal unless setup to do so. Actually... I've seen some people claim that it gets thinner and quieter than when it is bypassed... I never noticed that either. Are you 100% sure there isn't something in the path altering the volume?

The loop send and return both have volume controls. If it is still sending too loud at instrument level you can turn the send down. 

Had another look, no idea what's causing the volume increase, maybe just some interaction with the kemper, but reducing the send volume worked just fine so thanks for the suggestion!

Performed a system reset on the kemper and that seems to have worked with the hiss but we'll see I suppose