Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

More amps for helix

Rickholbert

I want to see more amps come out for the Helix, Helix LT like mesa mark 2, Peavey triple X, Mesa triple rec, diezel so on and so on. Fracual is a competitor and I want the helix sound better than the Axe FX. Line 6 needs to get with the program and get up to speed with new amps,effects and cabs and if not i will switch to Fracual.   

• Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 8:19 PM, Rickholbert said:

I want to see more amps come out for the Helix, Helix LT like mesa mark 2, Peavey triple X, Mesa triple rec, diezel so on and so on. Fracual is a competitor and I want the helix sound better than the Axe FX. Line 6 needs to get with the program and get up to speed with new amps,effects and cabs and if not i will switch to Fracual.   

So, if you think there's a product that has all the amp models and effects you want, why not just use that product instead of expect another manufacturer to essentially copy what they're doing? I can tell one thing for certain, and that's that Line 6 is really not interested in trying to recreate the feature set of the Axe FX in the Helix. They have their own vision for what the Helix is going to become. Certainly that means more amps and effects in the future, but it doesn't mean trying to please everyone...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 11/14/2018 at 7:19 PM, Rickholbert said:

It already has the Dual Rec and Mark IV - so no need for a Triple Rec or Mark II. 

The Triple X is not a "legendary" amp like the 6505, so I don't see any companies trying to model that amp.   

Obviously I'm always up for new amp models. I'm up for new ANYTHING because it's fun.  I wouldn't describe myself as in danger of jumping ship though.

Honestly, there's more amps, cabs, and effects than I know what to do with. Some nights I just sit down and pick a random one to figure out what the freak it does.

• Upvote 1

I guess im up for some new amps. Not to the point id start a thread over it though. Im more about seeing the cab section tweaked.

Id like to see about 5 -10 more amps in Helix. Real classics done REAL well. 5 higher gain and 5 Mid gain. Powerball, XTC, Satan, Silver Jubilee, PT100 Thunderverb or Rockerverb, and id be over the moon with helix.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2018 at 10:18 PM, willjrock said:

I guess im up for some new amps. Not to the point id start a thread over it though. Im more about seeing the cab section tweaked.

Id like to see about 5 -10 more amps in Helix. Real classics done REAL well. 5 higher gain and 5 Mid gain. Powerball, XTC, Satan, Silver Jubilee, PT100 Thunderverb or Rockerverb, and id be over the moon with helix.

I guess more amps wouldn't hurt. As long as they're great though. We don't really need anything less than great imo.

2 hours ago, Ellefson said:

I guess more amps wouldn't hurt. As long as they're great though. We don't really need anything less than great imo.

Well not me...I want half-a$$ed crap by the bucket. But I guess that's just me.

So much for my "Mediocre tones, but you'll be drowning in choices!" ad campaign slogan I was gonna submit on Idea Scale...I had a "Meh... but at least there's tons of it" t-shirt all designed too. Oh well, back to the drawing board... ;)

• Like 2

On 11/14/2018 at 9:19 PM, Rickholbert said:

see people would not mind more amps. Its all about staying competitive I can care less for fender amps Give me a Diezel 4 channel at least geesh.. 

1 hour ago, Rickholbert said:

see people would not mind more amps.

Do you realize you quoted yourself when you said that? 

From my recollection, Line 6 has added more than 25 amps since the initial release of the Helix. I'm sure there are more amps coming. Asking for a model through IdeaScale and getting people to upvote it will get you a lot further than threatening to change products.

oh wait Axe FX has the Diezel amp and the Mesa mark 2. Now do you get where im coming from?

Maybe it's just me... but if I were buying something new I'd likely choose something that already had what I wanted! I wouldn't buy something that didn't suit my needs then complain about it. There is nothing wrong with wanting a particular amp model... but there is a way to request it.

http://line6.ideascale.com/

• Haha 2

see people would not mind more amps. Its all about staying competitive I can care less for fender amps Give me a Diezel 4 channel at least geesh.. 

Yes, I see that you agree with yourself... :-)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm happy with my Helix LT as it is, work my way around the things I don't like about it and I agree on pressing the devs on putting more stuff in, after all I paid for it and want to get as much out of it as possible, but I'd definetly go Fractal if I had the money, to buy the Axe FX III, the AX8 I'll pass because I have Helix LT, but the Axe III is on another level, sooo many amps and effects in awesome quality, tons of processing power, but of course it's like 3 times or more the price of the LT so yeah you get what you pay for. Line 6 is being cool with the updates and all, but it's all pretty slow, I would really like to be surprised with a super update with some new cool additions that take this thing to the next level, don't know if that makes much sense on the business side of things for Line 6 but yeah, it would be pretty cool.

It always amuses me when I see these discussions given that in all likelihood the people asking for the amps invariablly end up creating one or two patches filled with snapshots using only a small handful of amps, all in the same general category of amps.  Apparently they're not aware that no matter how many amps you have available, it's not going to improve your guitar playing ability.

59 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

Apparently they're not aware that no matter how many amps you have available, it's not going to improve your guitar playing ability.

You are hereby voted least likely to succeed in common guitar gear marketing tactics that prey on the belief in magic pill solutions that bestow creativity and skill through simple gear purchases. 

• Haha 2

On 11/15/2018 at 4:19 AM, Rickholbert said:

Diezel... Yes please!!! I would love to have this great head on my Helix. I've been dreaming of having it for long time since Diezel has no official distributor in Israel.

It would be very nice if Line 6 could add this great amp to our arsenal.

I've got the Axe-FX II XL+, along with the Helix rack (gear trading shenanigans).  I can't keep them both in the same rack - they both howl uncontrollably and both displays show a crazy-looking little girl holding a big knife until I split them up...  Seems the Axe III is the II XL+ with they physical properties of the Helix - 3-spaces, multiple useable ins/outs, on board big screen display.  I'm sure the Axe devotees would say something about even more 3D-ness, etc. in the newest model.  Processing power?  Meh.  My iPhone could run one of the Apollo missions, but I probably won't be using ALL of it's capabilities simultaneously any time soon. I mean, just how many fracking effects do you want at one time, and is that musical, or even discernible as avant-garde?  If that's important, then there you go - stack 'em up.  Sheer numbers of amps?  On both units - maybe it's just me - but I end up tweaking whatever model to what I end up liking - mids at a certain level, highs rolled off, etc. - ends up sounding like a similar amp, with the tiny bit of personality from each modeled amp.  Screaming leads, pristine cleans, edge-of-breakup in between.  I tweaked my Triaxis to resemble what I liked in my old Mark V - with each having their own little personality quirks.  I can take either digital box, and emulate exactly a sound from the other one - by mixing/matching EQs, IR's, compressors, dirt boxes, etc. etc. etc. 

Quality of fx?  Same/same.  Yep, there's the legendary effects as cloned, but given enough time/effort with all of the variables being used by some of the skillful folks that use either machine - no one could critically tell the difference consistently over time.  Jason Sadites vs. Alexander van Engelen in a winner-takes-all cage death match of sound-sculpture!  Just commenting on the comparison game we all play.  I'm lucky to have both, and read forums for both.  I'm hard pressed to decide which one to keep for what reasons.  Oddly, I play my Triaxis through both...if either one would make a single-space, fx only box...I like the physical rack stuff.  Remove the amp models, keep the programmability of the fx and make it rack-mounted.  Tried the Eventide Eclipse, I'm not smart enough to use that one effectively, even in pedal form.  Change the X-bias of the simulated tubes for that final tweak - that I can't find on one of a dozen EQ possibilities or 9,000 cab emulations ?  Ignorance of actually working on amps to that extent has always been bliss, why change even if I could?  It's the journey of mixing/matching endlessly, or finding the half-dozen or so attributes that works for you in a single box for convenience, that's the attraction of these things.  Sometimes the sheer mountain of variables is overwhelming.  But it's all great fun, and good to have.  Both are marvels of creativity and technology.  Such 1st world problems.

As I look at this, had a thought - maybe if I set up a model on the Helix, then tone-match it on the Axe-FX - would I turn into Aleister Crowley and be able to play like Jimmy Page?  Going to go try that - if the units will cooperate.  That little girl in the display always looks so angry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeDV1 said:

Such 1st world problems.

Annnnd - quote of the century.  How on earth did I get through the first 40-odd years of playing with just a Fender, Marshall, Mesa, Markley, or whatever amp I'd have at any given moment?  Apparently I was truly deprived and never realized it.

By all means, let's hope for more models as time goes by, why not?  But I've yet to truly explore whats in there NOW, and am getting everything I could possibly need.  The whole "give me this or I'm going to Fractal" thing has gotten kinda tired.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, ricstudioc said:

The whole "give me this or I'm going to Fractal" thing has gotten kinda tired.

Amen.... and why? Because it's juvenile. "If I don't get what I want, I'm taking my toys and going home!". Go ahead...nobody gives a $hit. Buy Fractal. Or don't. Go acoustic instead. Take harp lessons. No one cares... least of all the intended target of the diatribe. Anyone who thinks that L6 will change their strategy because they've gone online and emphaticly declared their intention to jump ship to another device, is gloriously naïve. Internet tantrums accomplish exactly nothing. Whatever is in the pipeline will eventually arrive, whether we like it or not...on their schedule, not ours, and without our pre-approval. Life's rough....

• Upvote 1

If they don't model a Peavey Bandit I'm going to buy a Vyper. 

Yes - it all sounds that silly to me :)

As I said earlier, there is not harm in requesting new amp models through the right channels (idea scale) but the childish threats on user forums get really tiresome.  

58 minutes ago, ricstudioc said:

.  The whole "give me this or I'm going to Fractal" thing has gotten kinda tired.

Nah, I love watching grown adults behave like spoiled 5th graders! 

If the thing didn't do what you wanted, and something else did, why did you buy the thing that didn't in the first place? We're you hoping your $1000 device was magically gonna turn into a $3000 device because you really, really wanted it to? 

1 hour ago, gunpointmetal said:

Nah, I love watching grown adults behave like spoiled 5th graders! 

If the thing didn't do what you wanted, and something else did, why did you buy the thing that didn't in the first place? We're you hoping your $1000 device was magically gonna turn into a $3000 device because you really, really wanted it to? 

In the interests of full disclosure, I did once go on the Charmin TP forum and tell them that if they didn't soften up their 2 ply I was switching over to Angel Soft.

I kind of feel like my actions were justified in that case though because it was my @SS was on the line.

• Like 1

I couldn't possibly scratch the surface of all the amps that are in there now.  There's enough in there that anything they add at this point will sound like something that's already there.  I say Line 6 should start adding Line 6 original amps (i.e. Badonk, Litigator, etc.) and for each original they add they should remove 2 non-originals, until none are left.  That way we end up with a collection of idealized amps that we can set up to sound however we want.  Instead of acting like children and pretending the reason I suck is because a model of the amp I would like to own but could never afford is unavailable to me.

9 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

In the interests of full disclosure, I did once go on the Charmin TP forum and tell them that if they didn't soften up their 2 ply I was switching over to Angel Soft.

I kind of feel like my actions were justified in that case though because it was my @SS was on the line.

I really should downvote this just for the crappy dad joke.

39 minutes ago, jonandtice said:

I couldn't possibly scratch the surface of all the amps that are in there now.  There's enough in there that anything they add at this point will sound like something that's already there.  I say Line 6 should start adding Line 6 original amps (i.e. Badonk, Litigator, etc.) and for each original they add they should remove 2 non-originals, until none are left.  That way we end up with a collection of idealized amps that we can set up to sound however we want.  Instead of acting like children and pretending the reason I suck is because a model of the amp I would like to own but could never afford is unavailable to me.

Too much of a good thing... I neither need nor want to sift through 200 amp models.... and I'm sorry, but there are precious few who would actually "need" a model of every tube amp ever conceived. If you're the most well rounded musician in the world, equally at home playing everything from Django to Dimebag, and you've got sessions booked 8 days a week into the next century... fine. Then you can complain because your favorite is missing... but otherwise, please. If you can't get what you want from this, or any other gear currently on the market, then the hardware is the least of your problems. 

I get the "Keeping Up With Da Joneses" thinking behind threads like these, but think about it this way: If the current amp lineup of Helix were physically displayed in a new music store you walked into in a room where you could play isolated to your heart's content, you'd likely think it was one of the best experiences ever.

You wouldn't be wrong. I know it doesn't cover every little thing in existence, but there are modelers for that. I don't wanna give up the support, interface, workflow, integration with Native, Variax switching and so, so much more just because it doesn't have Boutique Metal/Clean/Midgain amp X or Y.

Those amps are probably derivatives of at least one amp circuit currently in the box anyway. 

In three years of working with the Helix and creating well over 100 different presets in a range of genres from rock, jazz, funk, r&b, country, blues, showtunes etc.  I've yet to run into something I couldn't find an answer for in the lineup of amps, cabs, and effects in the Helix.  If you can't do it without your "special" amp model, I suspect you aren't trying very hard.

Lets see hummm Steve Vai , Joe satriani , John Petrucci, Metallica so on and so on uses Fractual why not line 6 helix? hummmm maybe because the helix needs to GET UP TO PAR!! I rest my case. 

*Sigh*

I'm genuinely baffled at times that it's been 73 years and we still haven't nuked ourselves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lets see hummm Steve Vai , Joe satriani , John Petrucci, Metallica so on and so on uses Fractual why not line 6 helix? hummmm maybe because the helix needs to GET UP TO PAR!! I rest my case. 

Okay - case closed. You win. Does that mean you'll go to Fractal now? Please?

2 hours ago, Rickholbert said:

Harrumph!

Feel better? Take your victory lap. No one could possibly argue with logic as nuanced as this...

Not one person has answered my question.

Steve Vai , Joe satriani , John Petrucci, Metallica so on and so on uses Fractual why not Line 6 HELIX?

Well, never rule out endorsements... if you know what those are. 

Or... maybe they figured it was better to choose the product that best suited their needs rather than buying something that didn't so they could complain about it.

I don't normally feed the Trolls, but I keep coming back to see if you've learned how to spell the company you are desperately trying to promote. NOPE, not yet!

• Haha 2

Steve Vai , Joe satriani , John Petrucci, Metallica so on and so on uses Fractual why not Line 6 HELIX?

I don't know - why aren't "Steve Vai , Joe satriani , John Petrucci, Metallica so on" answering your question? Perhaps they aren't here! ;)

Maybe they've just found a product that suits their needs and thus that's what they've bought.

AxeFX has 270+ amp models. Helix has 75+. Headrush has 34+. Kemper has as many as you wish to profile.

Buy the product that suits your needs. If Helix doesn't have enough amps for you, go Fractal or Kemper.

You don't want an answer. You want an argument... same as the 1000 others before you who showed up breathing fire, to complain about a product that they don't like. You're not exactly a pioneer. 

But just for the sake of closure... rock stars get paid to be seen using the products they endorse. You do the math. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

You don't want an answer. You want an argument... same as the 1000 others before you who showed up breathing fire, to complain about a product that you don't like. You're not exactly a pioneer. 

But just for the sake of closure... rock stars get paid to be seen using the gear they endorse. You do the math. 

Shhhhhhh.....that's supposed to be a secret so that naive little guitar wannabee's can be fooled into buying something they have no idea about and will result in them finally becoming guitar Gods!!!!

• Like 1