Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Drum Loop tempo change

johnlarsen

Hi all

I am just about to purchase a Spider V 240 version. Now I have found some articles saying that it's impossible to change the default tempo of the drum loop.

Have this been resolved ?

If this hasen't been resolved I will look for a different amplifier, as this is the most important feature compared to other amplifiers.

It simply do not make sense to have a drum loop without the capability to change the tempo.

Sorry if this topic is somewhere else, but I couldn't find a link to the same topic.

Br John

13 hours ago, johnlarsen said:

Hi all

I am just about to purchase a Spider V 240 version. Now I have found some articles saying that it's impossible to change the default tempo of the drum loop.

Have this been resolved ?

No, currently the drum loops are audio recordings that are played back, similar to backing tracks that you can play by USB or AUX In connections.   There is an Ideascale vote for this feature, so please feel free to increase the vote count. https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/CHANGE-TEMPO-IN-SPIDER-V-DRUM-LOOPS/858610-23508

There is also the metronome that has a large range of different sounds, cow bell, high hat and whatnot that is completely adjustable in terms of tempo.   If you simply need a rhythm at different tempos  for practice, it's present.   In addition, if you have a set of miked drums, you can input that for use with the looper.

13 hours ago, johnlarsen said:

If this hasen't been resolved I will look for a different amplifier, as this is the most important feature compared to other amplifiers.

Interesting, so the RELAY wireless support (V 60 and above) for cable free instrument connectivity, very flexible looper (especially with the FBV 3 foot controller), very large selection of amplifiers and cabinets and easy to use interface are much less important that tempo controlled drum loops?

Line 6 does listen to their customers and several of the ideascale submissions did make it to the product.   If it's technically possible to bring this to the Spider V and the votes are there, I'm sure it'll come to the amp in a free firmware upgrade.    If it's not technically possible but is requested, a future product will likely have this addition.

A drum loop without the capability to change tempo is simply a useless application. The feature is therefore only to "pack" the amplifier with features for a sales position and nothing else.

I have a very old Yamaha board, which is more than 20 years old, this multieffect  board have a synthesizer and a drum looper, which can actually make the job. Therefore it's simply not good enough for a new amplifier for 2018 that such basic functions is not support !

For the rest of the features you are mentionering. If this is actually what I was looking for I would get a board instead. Then there is a bunch of pedal boards available.

The reason for looking at the Spider V was in fact the fact that it could replace my old Yamaha board, and my POD PRO XT. So for convience it would be great, but now the feature is no longer there. So the complete idea is gone I will stick to my Yamaha, POD Pro XT and Randall setup.

11 hours ago, johnlarsen said:

A drum loop without the capability to change tempo is simply a useless application. The feature is therefore only to "pack" the amplifier with features for a sales position and nothing else.

I have a very old Yamaha board, which is more than 20 years old, this multieffect  board have a synthesizer and a drum looper, which can actually make the job. Therefore it's simply not good enough for a new amplifier for 2018 that such basic functions is not support !

For the rest of the features you are mentionering. If this is actually what I was looking for I would get a board instead. Then there is a bunch of pedal boards available.

The reason for looking at the Spider V was in fact the fact that it could replace my old Yamaha board, and my POD PRO XT. So for convience it would be great, but now the feature is no longer there. So the complete idea is gone I will stick to my Yamaha, POD Pro XT and Randall setup.

The nonadjustable tempo on the drum loops is a bummer, be sure to vote on ideascale! Another option would be to use the USB or AUX in on the back to play drums loops from an external device or even your phone. There's some really great drum loops apps available now, I really like Drum Genius. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, johnlarsen said:

So the complete idea is gone I will stick to my Yamaha, POD Pro XT and Randall setup.

Sounds like the best plan for now.    Hopefully you voted on the tempo change idea and it's eventually added.   Check back every couple of months and see if this arrives.   

• 2 years later...

I agree that it's disappointing not to be able to change the drum loop tempo, but, at the same time I would not say it's totally useless or just stuffed in for marketing purposes. It does make it fun when exploring new sounds and testing riffs when practicing alone, and like someone else mentioned, if you connect to software you'd end up using other drum machines and effects anyway. Lastly, I think the main reason you can't change the tempo is 'cause the drums are LIVE tracks and the sound of the drums would get higher or lower in tone depending on the tempo change. You know, Alvin and the chipmunks at high speed or a blob sludge monster at low speed, lol. Anyway, just my two cents. I didn't really buy my V60 with drums in mind so to me it's still a quality add on and I'm happy to have it, but I also agree, the ability to change tempo some how would be nice.

Peace

Like was said above, there are a lot of different metronome selections that are all fully adjustable.  And there are a lot of different drum loops with lots of varying tempos.  It is not just three or four drum loops, and that is it -- way more than that.  But, please post what you end up deciding on.  I know I am interested.