Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp 2.70 Download Issue

scottwnz

I received my HX Stomp yesterday with firmware version 2.65 and tried to download 2.70 using both Microsoft Edge and Firefox on a Windows 10 computer.  I'm asked to choose what type of program I want to use to open a .HFX file and I can't find any program to run the file.  I have HX Edit and Line 6 Updater loaded on the computer and it recognizes my HX Effects but not the Stomp.  It doesn't appear to be the known Microsoft validation issue because it doesn't block me from downloading the software, I just can't figure out how to open it.  I didn't have any problems with the HX Effects on the same computer.  Any ideas?

1 hour ago, scottwnz said:

I received my HX Stomp yesterday with firmware version 2.65 and tried to download 2.70 using both Microsoft Edge and Firefox on a Windows 10 computer.  I'm asked to choose what type of program I want to use to open a .HFX file and I can't find any program to run the file.  I have HX Edit and Line 6 Updater loaded on the computer and it recognizes my HX Effects but not the Stomp.  It doesn't appear to be the known Microsoft validation issue because it doesn't block me from downloading the software, I just can't figure out how to open it.  I didn't have any problems with the HX Effects on the same computer.  Any ideas?

Wait . . . if you're doing it correctly you shouldn't have to open anything other than the Line 6 Updater.  Are you sure you did all the steps correctly?  Follow along with the video below:

2 hours ago, scottwnz said:

Try ALL your USB ports. One of my computers is really finicky about which port I plug certain gear into.

49 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

Wait . . . if you're doing it correctly you shouldn't have to open anything other than the Line 6 Updater.  Are you sure you did all the steps correctly?  Follow along with the video below:

I'm one of the people that suggests downloading the update file separately and then installing it from my HDD. Seems safer.

You don’t need to download the .hxf file. Just download and install the latest HX Edit installation package. That has everything you need. Then run Line 6 Updater with the Stomp connected via USB.

For some stupid reason Microsoft Edge tries to open the .hxf file. It’s not a file that can be opened like that. You can save it somewhere if you want. To do that, you could right click on the link for it and hit “save target as”. That will let you save the file wherever you want. It’s not really necessary, though. Updater downloads it for you during the update process.

SO.....   I uninstalled all Line 6 software from my computer and restarted the machine.  I reinstalled the most recent updater and HX edit as well as the HS stomp driver for Windows.  After probably 20 attempts I was able to get the installer to recognize the Stomp and it initiated the upgrade from 2.65 to 2.7.  The upgrade got to maybe 15-20% and failed.  Now when I turn the stomp on it shows firmware 2.70 but it won't go beyond that startup page, so the machine is bricked and entirely unusable now.  I've tried to complete the update probably close to 100 times now on 3 different computers and it usually fails immediately.  Sometimes I get a progress bar that goes to maybe 15 to 20 % and then fails.  Sometimes the updater just shuts down for no reason.  Sometimes the updater needs 3 or 4 tries before it will open. When everything does decide to open and the program decides to run I always get to a page that says "loading important pre-update instructions" but the screen doesn't ever populate with these "important pre-update instructions" no matter how long I wait so I have no idea what the instructions are and therefore I click "next" and wait for it to begin the installation and then watch it fail again.  I plugged this thing into my DAW when I first got it and was impressed with the basic sounds but I wanted to load my 3rd party IR's which is why I'm trying to upgrade.  I've read the manual thoroughly and watched all of the videos.  I've downloaded all of the required software and followed every step to the letter.  I've consulted a witch doctor and sacrificed a goat while conducting a séance in the rain during a full moon and I can't get even get it to make noise now.    This piece of lollipop has wasted 6 hours of my life and will be going back to Sweetwater on Monday, enjoy your open box special and I hope you have nothing to do for the rest of your life except watch Line 6 updates fail in perpetuity. 

50 minutes ago, scottwnz said:

SO.....   I uninstalled all Line 6 software from  I've downloaded all of the required software and followed every step to the letter.  I've consulted a witch doctor and sacrificed a goat while conducting a séance in the rain during a full moon and I can't get even get it to make noise now.    

Weird. I really thought the goat thing would get you some type of tone.

8 hours ago, scottwnz said:

...and for all of you keeping score at home, I didn't use the word "lollipop" as the moderator has so graciously substituted on my behalf, my intent was to reference excrement.

Hi Scott,

FYI, it wasn’t a human moderator that substituted your “sh!t” for “lollipop” - it’s a feature of the forum software, it happens automatically when it detects “bad language”.

Anyhow, with regard to your issues with the HX Stomp, you stated that when starting up it shows v2.70 and will get no further, which makes you consider that it is “bricked”. More likely the software is simply screwed up. As you don’t mention that you have tried any of the hardware reset procedures, you may not need any voodoo incantations and sacrifices. I suggest that you try one of these options first:

HX STOMP RESET PROCEDURE:
1.  Before Power "ON", Hold All 3 Footswitches clears all presets/IRs
2.  Before Power "ON", Hold FS1+2 resets presets and IRs
3.  Before Power "ON", Hold FS 2+3 does a factory restore (globals, presets, IRs)

Give option 3 a go - nothing to lose!

Hope this may be some assistance.

Regards

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ah! it's so frustrating. These threads always end before a solution is confirmed or discovered. I'm have\ing a similar problem and no amount of resetting or re-installing firmware helps. HAS ANYONE figured out a way to fix this? After the update, it restarts but stays frozen on the boot up screen...

I tried again the day after my rant to get the software updated and after another 20 or 30 tries it finally took.  Needless to say I didn't return it and I'm now very happy with it.  I don't know what the secret is to getting the software to update other than stamina and determination.  On an unrelated note, the 3rd party cabinet IR's make a huge difference in my opinion.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, I will try my best to explain my experience in english (I´m from Argentina)

I just bought the STOMP. First five minutes with it...it frezzed. after several power ons and offs...and frezees, decided to try to update to 2.71. Since then, I am experiencing the sam,e issues that scottwnz. tried the offline update. tried every reset procedure...nothing. It freezes in the boot image with the firmware 2.71 message.

Scottwnz...should I keep trying? any tips such as online update or offline? or entering manually to the update state in the stomp then update? all the above?

I will try ANYTHING. I bought it from the US so returns is not an option for me.

thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi all …. I'm a brand newbie here. I received my HX Stomp today, and it has firmware 2.65.0 - so the first thing I wanted to do was to try to update it. I am running Windows 10 on everything I have. I have followed the instructions in the Stomp Instruction manual (and according to the video here). In no case can I get the Line 6 Updater to see the usb Stomp device. I notice in the instruction book that it says that I need to load the latest version of Updater (which of course I have), but it also says to "install the HX Stomp USB Driver for Windows". OK …. I plead ignorant …. where do I get the HX Stomp USB Driver for Windows? As of now I have tried 2 different computers and several USB ports on each machine with no luck.

Any ideas?

OK guys ….. update here ….. I fiddled with this for 2 or 3 hours, and the update to firmware ver. 2.71 was successful. The USB drivers that I was looking for were in the Line6 download list - duh! After I figured that out, the download / update worked just like it was supposed to. Sorry for the newbie kneejerk.

• Thanks 1