Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp as iPad/iOS Audio Interface no way to disable direct monitor?

kdog

So, I got around to trying out my HX Stomp with my iPad(s) as an iOS audio interface. It works pretty nicely in terms of sound and latency.

One big issue (for me) though, is it seems like any software on the iPad sees the audio input as 'post processed' so to use the Stomp as a dry input you must run it through a blank preset. This is all well and good but as near as I can tell it always direct monitors the output (was listening through headphones). This means you always hear the processed signal from any software coming to the output through the USB interface and the dry direct monitored input signal mixed together. Sometimes this is what you want but often, you don't. If you try to get around this by muting the stomp's output level or similar it also kills the input to the software on the iPad because it is sending the signal after any processing on the USB.

Is there some way to defeat the Stomp's direct monitoring of it's input without killing the signal going to the connected device? This basic feature would really improve its utility as an audio interface and I am wondering if I may have overlooked it. If not, hopefully it could be added with a mixer app or setting on the device. The stomp is a cool little interface in addition to being a handy processor.

I appreciate the response but on an iPad I am not always using a DAW. There are a number of stand alone apps that process an audio signal directly and they vary in their capabilities, since most interfaces built for an iOS device have the opposite default behavior (not direct monitored by default) a true DAW is about the only thing the Stomp does work with if you want processing in the app.

Also, given that other interfaces on both PC and iOS can invariably control their signal flow directly with regard to direct monitoring; it would be useful for the Stomp to be able to do this without relying on some feature, which may or may not be present, in the software being used.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2018 at 1:31 PM, phil_m said:

Can you select USB 7/8 as the inputs into whatever you're using? Those will always be the dry path.

Thanks Phil, that is helpful. I used that info when experimenting with the Stomp as a laptop interface. Unfortunately the stomp always connects the input to the output, though, and not all of my Apps recognize anything but input 1.

I tried it on the computer and it works using your info as long as I create a patch that mutes the input 1->output 1 path (i.e. a volume pedal set to 0). But if the DAW issues a command on the MIDI bus it will change the preset unless I specifically block program changes being sent to the stomp; so it is still kind of a pain and not as useful as say my Scarlett where I can just flick a switch to stop the direct monitoring.

Summary: stomp is not a very good choice as an audio interface for me because its own DSP path is always wired on and cannot be disabled. (I understand this is not its primary function, and is in fact the behavior most users want most of the time, so I am not complaining; but I am a little bummed because this was a value added feature for me and has turned out to be not really worth the effort). 

• 1 month later...

I could be misunderstanding what you are looking for, but for my configuration I have Cubasis (or Cubase on the PC) on an iPad and I want to use the HX Stomp as a dry only input.  I want to hear only the monitoring from Cubasis because I am using Bias FX for re-amping the dry signal.  The manual for HX stomp has instructions on page 44.  Use usb Mono input 5 as the input to your dry track (mono guitar input).  Select 1/2 Stereo as the ouput.  Turn the Block 5 sound down to nothing on the HX stomp.  Add your re-amping plugins to the track where you have usb 5 as the input and you can monitor just from the application.  Obviously, if your application doesn't support input 5 then that is an issue and you will have to purchase something like a Presonus iTwo which works very well.  Cubasis works really well for recording, re-amping and playing guitar.  This is allowing me to get rid of my other interfaces and just use the HX Stomp.

• 1 year later...

I you need to turn off direct monitoring for HX Stomp into an app like JamKazam, you have to pull the last block in the signal chain to path B, set the split node to 100% B so nothing goes out the main output. Then choose USB 3/4 in your app instead of USB 1/2. This is because you can't change the output of path A. 

• 7 months later...
On 7/21/2020 at 8:31 PM, amsdenj said:

I you need to turn off direct monitoring for HX Stomp into an app like JamKazam, you have to pull the last block in the signal chain to path B, set the split node to 100% B so nothing goes out the main output. Then choose USB 3/4 in your app instead of USB 1/2. This is because you can't change the output of path A. 

Hi Amsdenj<
I am running into the same problem. I have a EQ as my last block I checked the manual and cannot figure out how to send that block to Path B?? Driving me crazy. I am trying to recoed into pro tools and only want to hear my playback through HX Native but I am hearing the clean channel as well. 
Thanks so much.

Gerry C

You can't using HX Stomp directly into an app like JamKazam. You could try SonoBus instead. Another option is to use a DAW as your digital mixer and capture the output of the DAW into the input of JamKazam. SonoBus is a lot easier for this because it can be used as a plugin directly in your DAW.

I'd recommend using a different patch for jamming on-line. Or use a Dual Cab block in stead of two IR blocks above.