Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stomp and power - heads up

bcpodster

First off, I've been using the full up Helix floor system for over 2 years. I love the thing and have been liquidating my tube amps because of it. I just got the Stomp and have been playing around with it and just discovered something that was a little surprising. 

I have a small pedalboard I've setup using a Pedalsnake, which is a nicely integrated single cable that gets me all the 4CM, channel switching and 2 power lines from my amp to the pedal board. Very cool product..highly recommend to check it out. The run of cable is 18ft. 

If I locate the DC-3 back at the amp and run the power through the 18ft of cable, I get a serious noise coming out of the Stomp. Measured fundamental to be 86Hz. Definitely something digital. If I locate the DC-3 right next to the Stomp, and all is good again. 

So, I'm guessing the IR drop on the long run is bringing the voltage at the Stomp down enough so that is starts to go flakey. The pedal snake DC power conductor itself isn't the heftiest, so with any significant draw I'd expect the voltage at the end to have dipped some, but I've not measured it yet. I'm disappointed that the Stomp doesn't have a more robust power design with better regulation, but I think I can appreciate why it was designed to use a 9V supply. It's still amazing what they crammed into such a little box. 

Too bad since the pedal snake is awesome and was making my stage rig very tidy. Oh well. 

Still love the Stomp and Line6!

Voltage regulation wouldn't necessarily have anything to do with voltage drop unless there was a way for the power supply to vary the voltage based on the load. But that's not really a typical feature of these type of switching power supplies. Voltage drop is purely a function of the distance and load. Being the draw from the Stomp is relatively high, voltage drop could be more of an issue compared to a more typical stomp pedal. I'm also, wondering, though if it's your audio lines picking up some interference from the power cable along the way...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Voltage regulation wouldn't necessarily have anything to do with voltage drop unless there was a way for the power supply to vary the voltage based on the load. But that's not really a typical feature of these type of switching power supplies. Voltage drop is purely a function of the distance and load. Being the draw from the Stomp is relatively high, voltage drop could be more of an issue compared to a more typical stomp pedal. I'm also, wondering, though if it's your audio lines picking up some interference from the power cable along the way...

+1 i’d isolate the pedal snake to only the 9v power, and run separate cables for all the audio connections just to test and make sure the noise is actually only from the distance run for power.

• Like 1