Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sonic Port - new IPad Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Hello peterkroner.

Your Line 6 Support Ticket was updated with the following message:

Hi,
Regarding Sonic Port / iOS USB-C compatibility we are currently in the middle of testing compatibility.

There are aftermarket adapters that may work, but their functions haven´t been confirmed at this time,

usage would be on your own risk at the moment.

Best regards,
Technical Support
Line 6 Support Europe 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 2:06 AM, peterkroner said:

Hi Everyone,

does anyone using Line 6 Sonic Port or Sonic Port VX with the new Apple IPad Pro

( no Lightning anymore - now USB-C )

I want to buy a new IPad Pro and a Sonic Port, but no one knows if it works.

Thanks for your help.

Peter

On 11/28/2018 at 5:54 PM, peterkroner said:

Hello peterkroner.

Your Line 6 Support Ticket was updated with the following message:

Hi,
Regarding Sonic Port / iOS USB-C compatibility we are currently in the middle of testing compatibility.

There are aftermarket adapters that may work, but their functions haven´t been confirmed at this time,

usage would be on your own risk at the moment.

Best regards,
Technical Support
Line 6 Support Europe 

When is the prospect of completion of development?
I want you to hurry up.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Also, waiting.  I got the exact same response from Line 6 at the end of November.  Haven't tried anything aftermarket, still holding out for an official cable.  Bit disappointed the Sonic Port uses a proprietary cable.  If I had known this I probably would have looked for an alternative solution.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2019 at 10:33 PM, gjoyce said:

I too am waiting for a solution. I bought a lightning to usb-c adaptor and it didn't work with my new iPad Pro

Could I know which usb-c adaptor you tried? is it from Apple? or from other 3rd party company? 

I decided to try it on my own risk. but I'll avoid the adaptor you tried cause you already tried it. 

I'll be very happy if you say it to me :)

And I'm really disappointed at SLOW response of LINE6.. I think now they don't care about this anymore.. Does that compatibility test take that much time? 

If there is the rational reason, Could you tell me why it takes that much long?

• Like 1

I'll second that. I'm a happy owner of a Sonic port VX and I'm looking to update to the new iPad. 

Please try to find a solution quickly Line6,  please don't leave your customers in the dark. 

I'd be happy to buy an adapter or new cable from you.

Any updates on this matter would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

The answer to this question is the only thing that has me on the fence about purchasing a new iPad Pro .  Would love to get an answer even if it's one I don't want to hear.   This little guy (sonic port vx) has been great since I can use it with my iPhone, and my MacBook, and it would be great if you guys offered a usb-c cable to keep it iPad Pro friendly... Would gladly buy!  

** At the time of me writing this I see this thread has been viewed something like 1600 times.  **

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 11:22 AM, Eldrizno said:

The answer to this question is the only thing that has me on the fence about purchasing a new iPad Pro .  Would love to get an answer even if it's one I don't want to hear.   This little guy (sonic port vx) has been great since I can use it with my iPhone, and my MacBook, and it would be great if you guys offered a usb-c cable to keep it iPad Pro friendly... Would gladly buy!  

** At the time of me writing this I see this thread has been viewed something like 1600 times.  **

wow.. I'm not only one who is waiting for the answer whatever it is! 

and also one who see this thread everyday for a million years....

LINE 6... GIVE ME THE ANSWWEEERERErR!!!!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, i'm using Sonic Port VX on my iPad pro 12.9 2018 using a usb c to usb adapter purchased off Amazon uk https://www.amazon.co.uk/nonda-Adapter-Smallest-Aluminum-Indicator-Silver/dp/B015Z7XB30/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3V2CBZ1MEV5CN&keywords=nonda+usb-c+to+usb+3.0+mini+adapter&qid=1554724282&s=gateway&sprefix=nond%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Works flawlessly with bias FX, bias amp 2 and also my Audient id22. I'm using the usb cable provided with the vx and not the lightning cable.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 1:53 PM, roadhawk said:

Hi guys, i'm using Sonic Port VX on my iPad pro 12.9 2018 using a usb c to usb adapter purchased off Amazon uk https://www.amazon.co.uk/nonda-Adapter-Smallest-Aluminum-Indicator-Silver/dp/B015Z7XB30/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3V2CBZ1MEV5CN&keywords=nonda+usb-c+to+usb+3.0+mini+adapter&qid=1554724282&s=gateway&sprefix=nond%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Works flawlessly with bias FX, bias amp 2 and also my Audient id22. I'm using the usb cable provided with the vx and not the lightning cable.

That's great news! Thanks for taking the time to tell us.

Do you know if it works equally as well with Garageband?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hello, The only issue is that MobilePod app doesn’t recognize the device and doesn’t unlock the software to full features. I mean, this is using the micro usb to apple usbA usbC adapter. Maybe with anker female lightning cable it will work. Anyway thanks for the great tip!

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, kendalljones said:

The Anker USB-C to lightning adaptor does NOT work.   Line 6 support says that they continue to evaluate the situation.  Hello, Apogee!

That's really disappointing. I can't understand why line6 don't start supporting the latest iPad, it must lie in their interest right. 

On 6/2/2019 at 10:59 AM, jazzmagic said:

Hello, The only issue is that MobilePod app doesn’t recognize the device and doesn’t unlock the software to full features. I mean, this is using the micro usb to apple usbA usbC adapter. Maybe with anker female lightning cable it will work. Anyway thanks for the great tip!

Does this happen with the adapter that Roadhawk mentioned? 

On 4/9/2019 at 7:08 PM, roadhawk said:

Yes it does! If you have any problems let me know here ok buddy. It works with all my iPad apps inc jamuppro, modal buddy, jam trax, AUM, audiobus to name a few : )

Would you have the possibility to check if MobilePod app works? Thanks! 

On 4/9/2019 at 7:08 PM, roadhawk said:

Yes it does! If you have any problems let me know here ok buddy. It works with all my iPad apps inc jamuppro, modal buddy, jam trax, AUM, audiobus to name a few : )

Right! It's just so weird, I own two Sonic Port interfaces so I'm quite invested, can't believe that they won't allow me to update to the latest Ipad.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 6:25 AM, kendalljones said:

The Anker USB-C to lightning adaptor does NOT work.   Line 6 support says that they continue to evaluate the situation.  Hello, Apogee!

I can confirm the Anker adapter won't work. My Mac recognizes a lightning audio adapter when connect with Anker adapter but no sound from it. Very weird indeed...

Frustrating. I held on to my 2017 iPad Pro with the Lightning port rather than jump to the new USB-C Pro, mainly because of this issue. Well guess what, I just upgraded it to the iOS 13 beta, and it doesn't see the VX at all now. I'm not super mad about it - it is a beta OS after all, there are always risks, and I'm just a hobbyist, not a pro musician or anything - just holding out hope that when the final version hits this fall, my VX will work again! 

3 hours ago, thud71 said:

Frustrating. I held on to my 2017 iPad Pro with the Lightning port rather than jump to the new USB-C Pro, mainly because of this issue. Well guess what, I just upgraded it to the iOS 13 beta, and it doesn't see the VX at all now. I'm not super mad about it - it is a beta OS after all, there are always risks, and I'm just a hobbyist, not a pro musician or anything - just holding out hope that when the final version hits this fall, my VX will work again! 

That's really good to know. I was on the fence about updating to the beta. I have also been holding on to my old iPad. I guess I'll have to carry one for work and one for music... 

When the final version hits, I would be really grateful if you'd report back if the issues persist. Thank you!

Can't believe that line6 haven't taken care of the USB C issue with an adapter or cable of their own. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 8:28 AM, Bombhills said:

Would you have the possibility to check if MobilePod app works? Thanks! 

Hi, sorry for the delay, I can confirm that MobilePod does not work, for me that is the only one that doesn’t work, it doesn’t SEE the VX which is weird because most other apps do!

4 hours ago, roadhawk said:

Hi, sorry for the delay, I can confirm that MobilePod does not work, for me that is the only one that doesn’t work, it doesn’t SEE the VX which is weird because most other apps do!

No worries and thanks for the update! Supernice of you. 

Ok, that doesn't sound good, I guess my hobby musician career is over when I update to the new Ipad Pro ;)

Or I guess I'll be forced to keep a second low-end iPad around just for SonicPort.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried Sonic Port with IOS 13.1.1 on my iPad Air 2 and does not work at all.

I have tried Mobile Pod, Bias FX, Garage Band ... .all in and out Audiobus. Nothing works. The interface is not detected

On the other hand, with another interface (Focusrite iTrack Dock) all works perfectly

Who is to blame ? 

Xavier

3 hours ago, xvila said:

I have tried Sonic Port with IOS 13.1.1 on my iPad Air 2 and does not work at all.

I have tried Mobile Pod, Bias FX, Garage Band ... .all in and out Audiobus. Nothing works. The interface is not detected

On the other hand, with another interface (Focusrite iTrack Dock) all works perfectly

Who is to blame ? 

Xavier

Ah, very disappointing, but maybe there's a fix on the way. Line6 is responsible to make products work on newer versions of iOS I believe, but don't know how they'll manage since I don't think the Sonic Port has a way of updating the firmware. Maybe it does, who knows. 

I'm staying away from the IPadOS update as of now though.

Thanks a lot for checking this for me Xavier.

1 hour ago, Bombhills said:

... Line6 is responsible to make products work on newer versions of iOS I believe....

Well, that depends on whether the iOS components perform as specified. My understanding, from this Line 6 update, is that the issue lies with Apple.

6 hours ago, silverhead said:

Well, that depends on whether the iOS components perform as specified. My understanding, from this Line 6 update, is that the issue lies with Apple.

Well, maybe so....
But if Line6 sells a product that is intended to work with iOS but does not work with iOS anymore....why do they keep selling it ?
Let' hope for the best and wait for a solution from either company. They have smart people working for them, shouldn't be that difficult !

Just to know.... Is the Sonic Port firmware upgradeable ?

Xavier

I believe the VX is firmware upgradeable, not sure about the SP though.

Regarding the issues with iPados 13, i’d be amazed if a fix wasn’t made available. Line6 now being under Yamaha’s wing, i’m sure if Yamaha liaised with Apple, that would maybe carry more vocal weight than solely Line6.

On my ipad pro usb c 3rd gen, the VX works with Bias FX and Bias Amp2, that is all that i need tbh. However, Mobile pod does not see it to unlock the full features. As Mobile pod is something I don’t use, it is not an issue, but I completely understand the frustration from those affected.

i think it’s just a case of sitting it out for a hopefully not too longer wait. Stay positive folks!