Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What is better, budgetwise: HX stomp with some external ODs, or just buy an HD500X which sounds good for the buck?

galapito

I have not owned any Line 6 products but demoed an HD500X once. I am looking for a budget-friendly rig, and have considered many options, to which I narrow to 2. My options are:

-Owning an HX stomp, with an additional, mission exp pedal, and an OCD and Fulldrive that I already own. This is about 720 bucks.

OR

-Owning an HD500X for 550 bucks.

I know that the first option will sound really good, due to the great selection of amps/FX/IRs/Cabs + the versatility of using the HX stomp by itself for lightweight gigs and recordings or integrating it into a pedalboard which BTW can become quite heavy if I fill it with all the external pedals and MIDI and other add-ons to the HX stomp. However, the HD500x really sounds good if you sit with it for some time and tweak it to your liking+ external Cabs like mooer radar (yea... its stock cabs don't sound THAT great), BUT it is budget-friendly compared to the first option.

So, please, I would like your suggestion on what would be better considering my budget and versatility of weight, tone, and uses.

I've used an HD500 for years... between the two options, I'd suggest the HX Stomp. 

But as my father says, "your first loss is always your cheapest"!

Translation: "If you compromise now, you will spend more in the long run getting what you really want". 

From what I am reading, you want the tone of a Helix, but the flexiblity of the HD500x. I'd suggest you bite the bullet and get a HELIX LT... which is a very respectable compromise of the HELIX. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, codamedia said:

I've used an HD500 for years... between the two options, I'd suggest the HX Stomp. 

But as my father says, "your first loss is always your cheapest"!

Translation: "If you compromise now, you will spend more in the long run getting what you really want". 

From what I am reading, you want the tone of a Helix, but the flexiblity of the HD500x. I'd suggest you bite the bullet and get a HELIX LT... which is a very respectable compromise of the HELIX. 

Have had HD500X. Now have Helix Floor.

I second what codamedia said. Get an LT from one of the online retailers that offer 15% off. If it's REALLY that far outside of your budget, get an HX Stomp.

• Upvote 1

I loved my HD500x. It's totally respectable, and you can get it on deals for less than $550.

However, it's also five year old tech. Since that time, even in UI I feel like they've grown in leaps and bounds.

All budgets and scenarios are different, but if the Stomp really is affordable, AND if you can see yourself being satisfied with fewer switches, then I'd go Stomp for many reasons including a longer shelf life and better UI.

If it really is affordable, an LT is awesome, obviously. That's a bit spendy for me though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kilrahi said:

I loved my HD500x. It's totally respectable, and you can get it on deals for less than $550.

However, it's also five year old tech. Since that time, even in UI I feel like they've grown in leaps and bounds.

All budgets and scenarios are different, but if the Stomp really is affordable, AND if you can see yourself being satisfied with fewer switches, then I'd go Stomp for many reasons including a longer shelf life and better UI.

If it really is affordable, an LT is awesome, obviously. That's a bit spendy for me though.

This too!

You can't go too wrong with any of these options. Though, what kilrahi says about old tech is important to consider.

The HD tech is what it is. The Helix tech is only going to get better!

• Like 1

I go with the forementioned: if you have the budget, get an LT (or just save a little longer for it). The LT offers a more intuitive UI compared to the stomp, more signal routing capacity, has more switches and an integrated expression pedal. 

I bought mine as a replacement for my POD XT floor, and I am very happy I did make the move. No more hauling with heavy amps for me.

• Like 1

I have the HD500x and got it for a ridiculously low price from Guitar Center.  It is really reliable, easy to use, and has about every connection possibility you can imagine.  However, it is big, and I just bought a Stomp HX to try out.  I couldn’t believe the specs on it and taking it to the church each Sunday is just one less huge piece of equipment to hull around.  I guess the jury is out to see how well it works once I get it.  I also want to use it with either AmpliTube or BiasFX as a midi controller.  BiasFX probably has the best sounds of anything I have, but I am hoping the Stomp HX sounds great also.  It will be pretty easy to use and carry around.

If you're going to use Amplitube or BIAS FX, hang onto the HD, you'll appreciate the extra buttons, LEDs and the Expression Pedal.

Also, if you've never tried it, using MIDI with BIAS FX is a PITA on more levels than I want to get into here. Worst MIDI implementation of all, and I have ALL the majors - Amplitube, Guitar Rig, GTR3, S-Gear, TH3 and lots of lesser players.