Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

KWB boost hints

rudomat

51 minutes ago, rudomat said:

see...that is pretty poor information for me...actually i´d be interested in why line6 chose such an unknown pedal for cloning it and then make it the only pedal to give them more parameters than the original has got...???

It’s a Ben Adrian original... Ben is the lead sound designer for the Helix.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line6-helix.1586637/page-947#post-21317662

• Like 1

But why did Ben call it the Kowloon Walled Bunny (winning "OD effect name of the year" in the process)?

[EDIT:] Okay, now I know :-)

I used big coupling caps to let through the low end that Scott uses in his band Kowloon Walled City.

And of course...

bun_head_title.gif

RTFL, I should

/Yoda voice.

No info, but I just started using the kwb today. That into the Fender Bassman model produces some of the most well rounded and dynamic low gain leads I've found in this unit. It's heavenly. Now if I can just find a drive that doesn't produce flubby/wooly tones when playing chords (neck pickup of Fender Modern Player).

13 minutes ago, JeremiahEdward said:

Now if I can just find a drive that doesn't produce flubby/wooly tones when playing chords (neck pickup of Fender Modern Player).

Have you tried the parametric EQ block toward the end of your signal chain, with low cut set to ~100Hz (or to your ears' preference)? That is a great flub-tamer, in my experience.

Thanks. That definitely got rid of some of the boomy-ness. I think it may just be the pickups in this guitar. When I'm on the neck pickup, chords sound like a blown out broken speaker or something... all ragged and muddy... that's the only way I can describe it. I have had some success by using a higher gain amp and turning the gain waaaaay down to get smoother chords, but that's very CPU intensive. I play ambient/post rock...ish stuff so I don't do the really high gain stuff. Mid-gain at most. 

I've got my clean sound set anyway... now time to work on overdrive.  

21 hours ago, JeremiahEdward said:

Thanks. That definitely got rid of some of the boomy-ness. I think it may just be the pickups in this guitar. When I'm on the neck pickup, chords sound like a blown out broken speaker or something... all ragged and muddy...

Lowering the neck pickup may also tone down the flub.

Also, be sure to try some of the cleaner amps - the Fender Twin, Deluxe, plus the Matchless (Matchstick), the Hiwatt (WhoWatt), MESA/Boogie Lonestar clean (Cali Texas channel 1) etc  - YMMV but given what you are trying to do you might do better staying away from the high gain amps.

OD pedals can tone shape and pare back the flub - try the Timmy (Teemah) and the Tube Screamer (Scream 808) as well as the KWB.

You'll get there :-)