Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help with 8 string tone

EMPNitro

I am rather new to the helix but I have been messing around with it for awhile. I have no issue getting high gain 7 string tones but for my 8 string its a different story. Ill attach a few youtube links below to show you what kinda 8 string tone im looking for. If anyone can give me any advice on how to achieve them it would be greatly appreciated.

22 hours ago, EMPNitro said:

I am rather new to the helix but I have been messing around with it for awhile. I have no issue getting high gain 7 string tones but for my 8 string its a different story. Ill attach a few youtube links below to show you what kinda 8 string tone im looking for. If anyone can give me any advice on how to achieve them it would be greatly appreciated.

Hey! The two notes are very different and require different approaches. I have an Ibanez M80M, so here's my wisdom (might not work for you or in your music, but hey, this is a forum :D)

For me, frequency split and a bass cab is the key. I use a 3Sigma audio Zilla cab with an Ampeg 4x10 IR, everything under 500hz goes through the bass cab. It clears out pretty much the low end for me. Send me your mail in PM and I'll share my preset with you.

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 18.23.01.png

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
20 hours ago, Jerikodj said:

So are ir's key in this? . I am also a noob. I have an rg8. I'm trying to capture a similar tone as well as a Fear Factory type tone. 

Nope. You can make cool tones with the stock cabs as well, just have to eq them to your liking. My concept was to separate the low end and to control it separately, give it a different character, make it less mushy.

By the time my tone structure have changed a bit, i swapped the Ampeg block with a compressor and an eq block, everything is running through a Zilla Fatboy 2x12 and it sounds like this:

https://youtu.be/BIUoLHpa23M