Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects Audio Artifacts (the not "closed to further replies" thread)

optofonik

If someone gains some experience over time and learns in several months (say, 25 months after purchasing) how to recognize the "other unsavory audio artifacts",  specific details of which are unfortunately absent in the announcement, what then?

It seems that embedding an audio file of the "other unsavory audio artifacts" in the notification posting would have been proper.

If you're worried about your HX Effects being a bad boy after you get it, perform this test:

1) Start with a fresh empty patch

2) In block #1 (left upper switch), add a loop block. Keep the default settings. Nothing should be plugged into the loop send/return.

3) In block #2 (middle upper switch), add a Teemah distortion block. Keep it's default settings.

Turning the loop block on (and off) should not change the noise level appreciably.

If turning the loop on generates a lot of white noise (unusable levels) you most likely have a faulty unit and should open a support ticket with Line 6.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, soundog said:

If you're worried about your HX Effects being a bad boy after you get it, perform this test:

1) Start with a fresh empty patch

2) In block #1 (left upper switch), add a loop block. Keep the default settings. Nothing should be plugged into the loop send/return.

3) In block #2 (middle upper switch), add a Teemah distortion block. Keep it's default settings.

Turning the loop block on (and off) should not change the noise level appreciably.

If turning the loop on generates a lot of white noise (unusable levels) you most likely have a faulty unit and should open a support ticket with Line 6.

59 minutes ago, codamedia said:

Just to add to Soundog's test....

A faulty unit will have about 12db of added white noise... which is substantial. It sounds like somebody turned a water tap on.

A slight increase (1db - 3db) of hiss is normal and expected. 

Soundog, Codamedia, thank you both for an explanation that can help folks determine if their unit is one of the 1 in 200. I still wonder about the mysterious and vaguely described, "unsavory audio artifacts".

I'm a technician so vagaries are anathemas.

1 hour ago, optofonik said:

I still wonder about the mysterious and vaguely described, "unsavory audio artifacts".

To put your mind at ease (even just a little)... I don't know of any other "audio artifacts" with the HX Effects other than the white noise with the returns/loops.

FYI: I am not commenting on this subject by hearsay,  I had one of those units and Line 6 took extremely good care of me. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, codamedia said:

To put your mind at ease (even just a little)... I don't know of any other "audio artifacts" with the HX Effects other than the white noise with the returns/loops.

FYI: I am not commenting on this subject by hearsay,  I had one of those units and Line 6 took extremely good care of me. 

Thanks for posting, that's really good to know. 

I have a question about this test. when setup with loop block in 1 and Teemah in 2 when I engage the loop block it mutes the entire signal. I don't understand the comments about added noise. I assume it's muted because there is nothing plugged into the loop. What am I doing wrong here.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Joe_H said:

I have a question about this test. when setup with loop block in 1 and Teemah in 2 when I engage the loop block it mutes the entire signal. I don't understand the comments about added noise. I assume it's muted because there is nothing plugged into the loop. What am I doing wrong here.

Thanks

Nothing needs to be plugged into the INPUT for this test... you don't have to hear your guitar.

Simply engaging the loop will add substantial white noise if the unit is faulty. You can also add a RETURN and it will do the same (if faulty).

• Upvote 1