Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Considering getting a Helix HX Effects

Spiderplayer7

HI there,

Here's hoping you can help with some advice. I'm considering getting an HX Effects unit, I've got some questions I'd be grateful for some help on:

1. I currently don't have a guitar amp, I'm using a Tech 21 FlyRig Cali with a FRFR powered speaker, I use a DI box to PA, the powered speaker as a monitor. It's a simple set up and works fine, but for many of my gigs I need more effects including modulation and some different flavours of drive. I'm planning on getting a guitar amp or combo soon but for a temporary fix i was wondering if I could combine an old analog pre-amp pedal (Tech 21 Tri-AC, it has cab sims built in) with the HX Effects, I'm thinking that the best way would be to run the Tri-AC in one of the effects loops of the HX Effects, is that right, would that work? Anyone have any experience of doing this with an amp-in-a-box pedal?

2. I often use an acoustic, currently I use a Boss VE-8 acoustic/vocal pedal. But if I loaded some acoustic IRs I could use the HX Effects for this, right (not the vocal bit, I get that)?

3. The only other pedal that I use is a Neunaber Wet Reverb, gives the most amazing lush tones. I know I could use this in a loop with the HX Effects but does the HX Effects have any reverbs/modulations or combinations that would approximate the Wet Reverb?

BTW I know that a simple solution would be to get a full-blown Helix but I'm not looking for that as a solution, partly because of cost, partly because of the larger footprint and partly because I've owned lots PODs over the years and never got on with the amp sims...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Spiderplayer

1: Yes you could use the Tech21 in the loop of the HX Effects, and place it anywhere in the chain you want. When you are playing acoustic (as mentioned in your 2nd question) you can write a patch that does't include the loop and subsequent amp sim. If there is an option to turn off the cab sim in the Tech-21, you could also experiment with IR's in the HX Effects for cabinets.

2: You can use the HX effects to process the acoustic, and experiment with IR's if you want. You don't need an acoustic IR to process the acoustic, it's just another option. 

3: I don't have experience with that reverb in particular, but since the 2.6 firmware update the reverbs on the HX have been very lush. 

3 hours ago, Spiderplayer7 said:

BTW I know that a simple solution would be to get a full-blown Helix but I'm not looking for that as a solution, partly because of cost, partly because of the larger footprint and partly because I've owned lots PODs over the years and never got on with the amp sims...

Just an FYI: You cannot compare the Helix to the older PODs in terms of modeling. As for size.... by the time you add the Tech 21 and maybe an expression pedal or two with the HX Effects you are in the same size territory.

I agree on all points. And, in my opinion the new reverbs in the HX Effects are very lush and very flexible ... I love 'em! But you'll need to compare them to your pedal. I also have used the IR block with acoustic IRs and my acoustic guitar with great results; you can dial them down in the blend as needed, and adjust the IR low and high pass.

Thanks very much for your replies, codamedia and sound, good to know that my sansamp in the effects loop could work. And good to know also that the reverbs are very lush, for some of the songs I do that's important. I get that you can't compare the Helix to older PODs in terms of modelling, the point about space is well made, too. Unfortunately my budget doesn't stretch to a 'full' Helix at the moment, in the meantime I'll get an HX Effects and try my workaround. Thanks again for your replies!

20181020_103711.thumb.jpg.5d051c7fcb5f2839f1bb4c98187676ea.jpgI play rhythm guitar along with lead vocals for my band.  My current rig is an HX Effects with a Mooer Preamp Live in the effects loop and a Joyo acoustic sim pedal.  I run vocals and guitar through the HX, all monitored through a powered frfr, and midi controlled using Band Helper on an iPad mini.  I couldn't be happier!