Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preamp Or Amp Setting When Using Pod Hd And Dt25/50

benbutterworth

I use preamps most of the time 'cause they sound fine when running the HD500 directly into the front of either my Spider Jam or DT50 Head & JCA12+ Cabinet. I always set the Spider Jam or DT50 to a clean setting with the Master Volume at about 12 O'clock this way I'm hearing the HD500 preamps along with the power section of the Spider Jam or DT50 or whatever Power Amp/Speaker combo I'm using.

Lately when using the DT50 Head & JCA12+ Cabinet I set the HD500 to Stack Front, the PAD/Normal switch set to PAD, the 1/4" out switch set to AMP (I haven't used the "Line" setting), I keep the Master set full open. Usually the Volume knob is full open and I set the Drive to add dirt.

When I use the Spider Jam I keep all the same settings of the HD500 and just switch from Stack Front to Combo Front. Seems to work for me. Also I usually always go with the No Cab setting. I'm trying different settings but for now this is my base settings until I try more.

As for the Full Amp Models I always use them when I run directly into a PA or a Speaker System such as a Surround Sound Home Theater, a Flat screen TV Speaker System, or a small speaker like a JAMBOX or the like. These kinds of speaker systems don't have a Power Tube Section like a tube amp so the Full Amp Model emulates the power tube sound. Also, I always use Studio Direct into PA or direct recording.

As others have said, there is more to consider than just pre or full.  It depends on how you are connecting and even whether you have a combo or a head and your own cabs.  While there are no rules and you should try all settings to see what you like, I have found my preferences.

I have the DT25HD and I run it into either one or two 2X12 cabs.  I connect with the L6 link.  For my ears I much prefer the preamp models with no cab selected. The full amp models and even the cab settings change the tone enough that I begin to hear the dreaded fizz. I don't get that with the pre's and no cab.  The tone is a little fatter and a little less presence but I can EQ if I need it.  I really like the tone of my cabs anyways. If I had a combo it might be different since Line 6 designed it to use the cab sims.

I do like the full amp models through the PA and I could feed the full amp model in Studio Direct to the DT FX return to just use the tube section but I have been happy so far with the L6 link.  I did not like the 4 cable method with the DT, too much hassle for no benefit.

Take some time to build set lists with various combinations, full, pre, cab, no cab etc... with no other effects and just listen to them and see what you like as you switch back and forth.  Don't forget that patches you build in Studio Direct with headset or PA will sound totally different in DT with L6 link because the POD will switch to Stack or Combo and there is nothing you can do about it.  You will probably have to build your own patches for the DT.

• Upvote 2

The only utility I would have for low volume mode is late night practicing.  And even then...not sure how useful it really is.

Use the preamps with the DT.  You could certainly try the full models, nothing to lose, but I don't find them to sound or feel as good as the preamps when using them with the DT.  Your mileage may vary.

• Upvote 2

My pickups are pretty average output actually. PAFs, tele and start single coils and some traditional P90s.

When using the Pod preamp models with the DT25, the amp breaks up at a louder volume as it is using it's own power section (i.e. real tubes), rather than the simulated power section in the POD HD 500. Thus it requires more real world volume, to break up the power section.

This can be mitigated by reducing the master volume on the amp, and increasing the channel volume, but it is still reducing the output of the power section - and therefore the breakup in the power section.

I prefer the sound of the preamps, but overall the sound is cleaner at low volume - which is to be expected.

I can get a loud clean tone fine.

I was merely pointing out that getting a quiet dirty sound, using just the preamps in the HD500 and the DT25 is, inevitably not so easy, as they power amp section of the DT25 needs to be driven to break up.

It's not impossible though and I just wanted to see what people prefer in terms of tone.

Have you tried a Tube Compressor before the Amp to try and smooth things out? This works for me most of the time. I turn up the threshold just until the compressed sound goes away while adjusting the level to get volume. I'm always trying new settings I figure the more I do it the better I understand it.