Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV VARIAX Connection Question

sdre9096

I find I am really only using one feature of the Helix and that is using it with my Variax and having the ability to change tunings(or just the note of one string) on the fly with the footswitch. Question is this.... Is there any other way to do that without the Helix hardware? For such an expensive piece it dosnt seem worth it for me to keep it given what im using it for. 

10 minutes ago, sdre9096 said:

I find I am really only using one feature of the Helix and that is using it with my Variax and having the ability to change tunings(or just the note of one string) on the fly with the footswitch. Question is this.... Is there any other way to do that without the Helix hardware? For such an expensive piece it dosnt seem worth it for me to keep it given what im using it for. 

Seriously? That's the ONLY use you can find for it?!

Still, if that's it, there's sadly no Variax only device. Cheapest way is probably the Firehawk FX. On a deal you can grab for under $400. Still has effects though because that's its primary purpose.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/line-6-firehawk-fx-guitar-multi-effects

5 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

Seriously? That's the ONLY use you can find for it?!

Still, if that's it, there's sadly no Variax only device. Cheapest way is probably the Firehawk FX. On a deal you can grab for under $400. Still has effects though because that's its primary purpose.

I used it for other things but im back to real amps and prefer other fx. Love the tuning stuff though. Different strokes brugh. That looks like a good option. Thanks! 

EDIT: Just to be clear it will work the exact same way as the Helix for per string tuning etc? I wont lose any functionality that way?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

I don't know for certain, but I think only the Helix gives you "per string tuning" changes. 

Perhaps it has some deeper function I'm not aware of. If you just mean switching to an alternate guitar tuning on the fly within seconds, the Firehawk does that quite well. Probably easier than the Helix because of the phone app. You choose the string, slide your finger to the tuning, and go.

8 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

Perhaps it has some deeper function I'm not aware of. If you just mean switching to an alternate guitar tuning on the fly within seconds, the Firehawk does that quite well.

The Helix is pretty flexible with modern Variax guitars.

For example, you can set a single string on a Variax to change pitch with the push of a button, or assign it to a controller. One example where this is handy is a pseudo B-Bender or G-Bender! It's not just pulling up an alternate tuning on the guitar, it's altering one or more strings "on the fly" and returning them back without leaving the patch on the variax.

I don't even know if this is what the OP is talking about or wants, or if the Firehawk is capable, I just know it's really powerful on the Helix. 

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

For example, you can set a single string on a Variax to change pitch with the push of a button, or assign it to a controller.

YES this is the ONLY thing I care about. So the Firehawk can or CANNOT do this? 

AT 15 MIN

So can you or cant you do it with snapshots/foot controllers? ughhhhh. I dont see any snapshot ANYTHING in the app so I think the person who suggested this might be wrong 

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:45 PM, sdre9096 said:

On a side note this IPAD app for the Firehawk is brilliant! Why did they not implement this for the Helix? I dont understand some decisions by L6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so let me get this straight . . . because maybe it will one day make me want to buy a Helix.

So in additional to just changing the tunings quickly in Helix, or by preset by preset (which the Firehawk can also do) you can ALSO assign thinks like a footswitch or the expression pedal to a specific Variax string and change that with a click of a button or push of a pedal while still in the SAME preset?

6 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

Okay, so let me get this straight . . . because maybe it will one day make me want to buy a Helix.

So in additional to just changing the tunings quickly in Helix, or by preset by preset (which the Firehawk can also do) you can ALSO assign thinks like a footswitch or the expression pedal to a specific Variax string and change that with a click of a button or push of a pedal while still in the SAME preset?

Variax models, volume, tone, and string tunings are all parameters of the input block. Like any other parameter, these can be assigned to controllers: buttons, expression pedals, snapshots, MIDI messages, etc. So for example, you can use a footswitch to control the tuning of the B string to create a B-bender effect. I addition, Variax volume and tone can be used as controllers for other Helix parameters. 

The Variax is a fantastic gigging concept. If Line6 did two things, it would be much better: 1) allow the creation of a Variax model that exposes the raw piezo pickups so we can leverage instrument IRs in Helix with Variax and 2) create HX versions of the models with more instrument choices to improve the quality and variety of instruments available.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

Yep... check out this video as an example (start at 3:40 for the magic) ... then use your imagination for all the possibilities. 

• Like 1