Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Does anybody know where I can get an IR of a banjo?!

RandomGecko

Thats kind of like asking for an IR of a guitar....or drums.....or a singer. You generally dont get an IR of instruments.

Theres nothing thats going to make your guitar sound like a banjo other than playing a banjo, or a tool specifically designed for that, similar to an acoustic simulation pedal. But even then i wouldnt expect attempted recreations to be very faithful.

2 hours ago, willjrock said:

Thats kind of like asking for an IR of a guitar....or drums.....or a singer. You generally dont get an IR of instruments.

Theres nothing thats going to make your guitar sound like a banjo other than playing a banjo, or a tool specifically designed for that, similar to an acoustic simulation pedal. But even then i wouldnt expect attempted recreations to be very faithful.

The Variax guitar does a pretty believable banjo.

Not that this guy can go buy one for one gig, but still, just saying.

• Like 1

There are instrument IRs just like there are Cabinet IRs. The acoustic guitar IRs I have seen work ok to simulate an acoustic on an electric, especially if that electric has a piezo pickup.  I have seen violin and cello IRs for sale, but I don't remember where.  I have a mandolin IR that I use in helix that I like fairly well.  I use it in conjunction with my Variax guitar. I set the Variax up in workbench as an acoustic 12 string, I tune the high strings like a mandolin, turn off the low E and A, and send it through my mandolin IR.  I suspect you could do something similar with a banjo IR if you could find it.  Although none of the IRs I have heard sound "exactly" right, they are certainly ok depending on the situation.

Rock on!

JOHNNY

• Like 1

Don't be fooled into thinking a Banjo IR will make a guitar sounds like a banjo... that's not really what IR's do.

EG: An Acoustic IR created with a Royer 121 Mic at 6 inches will give your Takamine piezo a simulated tone of a Royer 121 mic at 6 inches. It won't turn your telecaster into an acoustic. The same would apply for Banjo, Dobro, etc... etc...

In theory, an IR could turn an acoustic guitar into a banjo. However, variation the source (guitar construction, pickups, etc.) don't provide a standard acoustic guitar tone that the IR could use as a consistent source. So in practice, this would be difficult. A Variax is your best option.

• Like 1

Yeah so this is a telecaster on the bridge pick-up plugged right into my audio interface. I didn't even use the helix. The first few seconds is how the guitar sounds without my Banjo IR then I engage the IR. It's not like the best banjo sound in the world but you can clearly hear it takes on some of the characteristics of a banjo type tone when I engage my IR. What do you guys think??

• Like 2

Glenn, i think you could fool many people with that one, probably that fancy picking doesn’t hurt too .. as in a lot of things like this you need to have  the right technique to really help get the sound even if it is a realistic sounding IR.. is that IR available? i have a telecaster just waiting to sound like a banjo ;) haha

6 hours ago, shanecgriffo said:

Glenn, i think you could fool many people with that one, probably that fancy picking doesn’t hurt too .. as in a lot of things like this you need to have  the right technique to really help get the sound even if it is a realistic sounding IR.. is that IR available? i have a telecaster just waiting to sound like a banjo ;) haha

Thanks Shane I plan on having it available early next week on my website. It'll also be available in the Line 6 Marketplace area.

I couldn't resist and snagged Glenn's Banjo+IR preset. I used my new Strat with a single coil bridge. Sounds great! Now I need to learn how to banjo roll! Right now I just sound like a monkey randomly picking strings. :-)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bsd512 said:

I couldn't resist and snagged Glenn's Banjo+IR preset. I used my new Strat with a single coil bridge. Sounds great! Now I need to learn how to banjo roll! Right now I just sound like a monkey randomly picking strings. :-)

Ahh, Thank you very much. Yeah I learned by watching Earl Scruggs. I just started off very slow and worked my way up. It did help though that I already had been finger picking since I was a kid so I had that chicken picking style.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 8:09 PM, GlennDeLaune said:

Just wanted top let you all know that this patch (and IR) should be in the Line 6 Marketplace section tomorrow for all Helix and HX Stomp users. Thank you so much for your continued support.

Glenn... I picked up your Banjo preset (and a few others) a week or so back... 

The Banjo preset certainly gives me a usable tone with my tele (when needed), but the IR you provide with that preset also brings the Variax banjo to life... it's added the shine that was always missing. Great work!