Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 300 - MacOS High Sierra - Options

Hi 

Dusted off my Variax the other day to have a play around, been using it with my Amplifi using the Variax Power Supply etc which is a bit of a faff to set up but i do love the sounds that are created. 

I was looking at the newer Variax's and was interested in getting on of these but was wondering if i can still edit my existing Variax. Looking on the internet it appears that i cannot do this. I have an X3 Live but still cannot get Workbench to work whatever i try.

The Variax and the X3 Live used to be such a great combination and would like to get it working again. I have also posted this is the POD section to see if anyone has any bright ideas on that side.

What i am basically asking here is, can i use (edit tunings etc) my Variax 300 using my existing set up (Mac High Sierra)? Also, can i get to edit patches etc on the X3 using Gearbox etc?

I was looking at the POD500X but i think i still might be in the same boat with this too.

Lee

I'm editing a Variax Acoustic 700 on Mac Sierra via Workbench, but it took gymnastics and trial and error. I wish Line 6 would provide better info for the legacy stuff on what will work with what and how to do it, but so far no such help. If you read through the forums you'll find all manner of good and bad info. Wish I could give a definitive answer.

That's my number one top secret tip. I also use alternate tunings quite a bit, and have those stored in various locations. Some I use for slide (open major and minor tunings). I also have one setting for a bass guitar, which does a decent job (on the lowest 4 strings, octane down, with just a little of the original string mixed in to taste).

P.S. Line 6 customers shouldn't have to resort to keeping an old computer or performing Java workarounds just to use their trusty old Variax guitars with Workbench.

There are a few things we can do to pressure Line 6 to update Workbench so it works with recent computers and operating systems:

1) open a support ticket here https://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html and the more the merrier. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

2) be vocal on these and other forums

3) vote for support in Line 6 Ideascale right here. You'll need to register for Ideascale if you haven't already. (In my opinion, the lack of legacy Variax support shouldn't require an "idea" for submission. But sometimes you gotta approach a problem from all angles.)

• 5 months later...

I'm in the same boat, finally decided to try and edit the custom settings on my Variax 300, but can't get a working Workbench on my macbook Pro running High Sierra.  I'm going to try to use my windows 8.1 virtual machine, but I know that's going to be just as complicated with how windows has to install drivers and such.