Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500x Vs M13

johnrobb

Hi - I currently use a M13 using the 4 cable method with my Blackstar amp and it sounds good - for the most part I use modulation & delays on the M13. I'm thinking of replacing it with a HD500x to get additional features for recording. My primary question is can the HD500x function as a pedalboard, in the same way as the M13 does? (No amp modeling, just effect chains).

Anyone here compared them?

Thanks,

John

Thanks for the responses.

I'm not totally pleased with the M13 going through the effects loop using the 4 cable method; there's no level control on my amp or the M13 and there's always a boost when engaging most effects, most noticeably the chorus. From what I've read and watched, the HD500x has controls to adjust the effects levels to obtain unity gain.

I should probably just buy one and test it out.

Really, the Pod is less transparent than the M13? ....

I believe the M13 has a 'true' bypass feature, meaning the input signal can be routed directly to the outputs without modification. The Pod, however, does not provide this. In order for the input signal to reach the outputs, it must at least go through an A/D conversion on entry and a reverse D/A conversion on exit. That's true even if you apply no amp or FX in the signal chain.

• Upvote 1

Thanks silverhead - I didn't know about the true-bypass (seems like something easily incorporated, wonder why it wasn't). I'll probably buy one anyway to test for myself - sometimes we get all caught-up with specs / features and stop listening to how things sound.

• Upvote 1

Hmmm, this is interesting.  I tried my PODHD bean using the 4cm method with a Marshall JCM900 just to see if it would work.  Seemed to work great and didn't notice any sound coloring.  But maybe it's not as noticeable with high gain tones.  I didn't try any clean tones.

• Upvote 1

I think you will find the chorus in the Pod also raises the level a bit - that always bothers me, too. I doubt it is a mistake. Probably the modeled unit does the same thing.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the coloration, if any. We are talking about electric guitar, after all. When I run my acoustic guitars through the Pod HD, I do not notice the sound being adversely affected, and I am a pretty discriminating recording engineer type.

• Upvote 1