Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

First Show With Hd500 Direct To Pa

oehman

So I decided to ditch my amp and go direct to the board for a small show. I was only going to use 2 presets. The first being a preset for the acoustic model in the JTV-59.

After getting the PA going and 2 minutes to go time, I tuned up using the HD500.

Fire up the channel on the mixer, disengage tuner and - nothing....no volume.

Hmm, check variax, VDI cable, XLR outs - all seem ok. Channel on mixer is ok, confirmed with microphone pulled from another channel.

Switch prestes, still nothing. Band mates ask "ready". This is getting frustrating. I should have brought an amp.

Then I realize I had added an FX loop in one of the blocks at practice the night before. I had hooked up an EQ pedal to take some boominess out of the acoustic. I disabled the FX loop block and bam there's my volume.

Just when I think I really know what I'm doing, the POD proves me wrong. Not sure why there's no output when you have an unused FX loop, but I figured others here might benefit from my experience,

In the end, the show went well and the POD sounded great.

But I'd like to lose 2-3 db of 125Hz like I did using the external 10 band EQ pedal. Any idea which EQ model might be best to accomplish this?

Just when I think I really know what I'm doing, the POD proves me wrong. Not sure why there's no output when you have an unused FX loop, but I figured others here might benefit from my experience,

Well I don't know why is it like that but I can confirm that's what normally happen and then you can find in the Advanced Guide

"Be sure to set the Mix to less than 100%, or toggle the FX Loop Block "Off", if you do not have a complete connection between the device's SEND & RETURN jacks, or you'll hear only silence from the output of POD HD500!"

POD sees the active FX block as part of the signal chain and with mix at 100 will send the entire signal "out" to some expected gear for processing and return.  If you have nothing connected, there is no return signal to send to the POD output.  If mix is less than 100, that part of the signal bypasses the FX block and continues down the signal chain so you hear that part.  Some folk use the FX block for a signal boost by using a patch cord to connect the send and return and adding gain to the return.  Others feel this can add noise to your signal.  Hope this clears it up.  

If you don't need it, don't put it in your chain.   ;)