Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Powering both HX Stomp and HX Effects with 1 Power Supply

Berry_B

Will a Strymon Ojai or R30 power supply handle both the HX stomp and HX effects using a couple of current doublers and 2.1 —> 2.5 adapters (without issue)? Is there a power supply anyone recommends?

EDIT: Strymon Ojai R30 works perfect powering both. Also, I used 2 of these (one for each device) to avoid using the barrel adapter. They plug right into the current doubler cable and then into the device. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016BJGZ2U?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Also, I can use the adjustable 12 Volt port for my Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 if I were to ever need it for backup reasons.

BA591CFF-3E86-4841-B1C3-29F59A1AEF0F.jpeg

6638452E-2391-4FAA-BC22-AB29BAB1CBEE.jpeg

CC305076-8D09-456E-B57B-D5590BCDECFE.jpeg

A tiny bit off topic ( I don't have the HX FX) but I am wanting to power the HX Stomp with a Strymon Zuma R300. 

I have the current doubling cable from Voodoo but their 2.1>2.5 adapter reverses polarity. 

I'm not sure if the polarity reversal will hurt the Stomp . . . ???

6 hours ago, Kevinlane said:

A tiny bit off topic ( I don't have the HX FX) but I am wanting to power the HX Stomp with a Strymon Zuma R300. 

I have the current doubling cable from Voodoo but their 2.1>2.5 adapter reverses polarity. 

I'm not sure if the polarity reversal will hurt the Stomp . . . ???

Reverse polarity won’t hurt the Stomp, but it won’t turn on with the wrong polarity. Use the Voodoo Lab Reverse Polarity cable between the doubler and the L6 adapter, and you’ll be good to go.

1 hour ago, Karis_shem said:

I power my HX stomp with two outputs of the Ojai, so i guess the power usage is a bit under 1A. 

It's actually a bit over 1A, probably around 1.2A... It's just that the Strymon power supplies are able to provide more than the rated current at an individual jack as long as the sum of current being supplied to all jacks is less than the overall rating of the brick.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, neilius said:

Yea im powering mine just fine with the R30 using two outputs in parallel (current doubling) and so far even with the DSP fully loaded its been absolutely fine. All other outputs are in use and yea, no problems.

What doubler cable did you use? I’m looking at building a board with the stomp, hx

effects and  an overdrive pedal. 

6 hours ago, RickyRod said:

What doubler cable did you use? I’m looking at building a board with the stomp, hx

effects and  an overdrive pedal. 

The HX stomp uses a slightly larger centre pin than the normal size ones most pedals use. As i the purpose of my Stomp is to only ever live on a pedalboard i clipped the included PSU plug and soldered up to standard ends in parallel myself. I certainly couldn't find any premades for this purpose in these sizes so making one up is probably your only option. 

On 11/29/2018 at 7:40 PM, phil_m said:

It's actually a bit over 1A, probably around 1.2A... It's just that the Strymon power supplies are able to provide more than the rated current at an individual jack as long as the sum of current being supplied to all jacks is less than the overall rating of the brick.

Interesting, thanks.

I thought the 5 outs were isolated.

1 hour ago, Karis_shem said:

Interesting, thanks.

I thought the 5 outs were isolated.

They are isolated, but they’re still sharing a common upstream power supply. Isolation just means there is physical electrical connection between the various jacks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2018 at 6:15 PM, phil_m said:

They are isolated, but they’re still sharing a common upstream power supply. Isolation just means there is physical electrical connection between the various jacks.

So today i tried to plug the stomp on one Ojai output only (the other 4 outputs being plugged to low demanding things). Apparently it works fine this way. 

Do you think it's fine phil_m ? No bad surprises ahead ?

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to power my HX stomp with one of the strymon power supplies?

What are the procedures? Ive seen about clipping and re-soldering the wire to fit the power socket? (is this the only option or is there a special cable?

What do i need to be careful of? Back of my stomp says 9VDC 3A, do i need 3A to power it?

Ojai or zuma :/

This is the board im planning to power 

Screenshot 2018-12-26 at 22.40.32.png

I listed the link in the original post edit.  As for your power question, I will have to defer to someone with more expertise. All I can tell you is that both of these boxes  combined will require well over 1000mA.  I got the Strymon because it checked that box.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I bought the voodoo labs current doubler adaptor and the line 6 2.1 -2.5 adaptor which Is running out of my strymon zuma into the stomp and the stomp won’t turn on , is there something I’m doing wrong? My other pedals are working fine with the zuma 

I tried a true tone l6 adaptor which converts 2.1 to 2.5 and still no power 

I'm going to mention a custom power supply I got for my stomp-based mini board. I'm running a line6 G70 receiver, the stomp, and a boss VE-500 off off a tiny (2x4x1"). I got it from sweefootpedals dot com, and the guy there will build you pretty much whatever you want. I'm currently trying to figure out how I can get a slightly larger ps on my board so I can have him make me one with 2 external stomps on it for switching presets on the stomp.