Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to achive a lasting tone in path A and play rythm in path B?

rbum

I often use Helix with guitars that have mag pickups and piezo systems as well. I usually have one path for the electric sound and one for the acoustic sound, which works great. I can switch from clear rhythm or picking in the verse to fat rock sound in the chorus or to solo sounds- whatever.

In the chorus of some songs it would sound good, to mix both sounds, to get a fat distorted "background" with the nice rhythm strokes of the acoustic over it. Like you have it with TWO PLAYERS in most power ballads. Being the only guitar player in the band, it works as long as the song can take a distortion rhythm sound in the chorus along with the acoustic strokes - that means: in up-tempo songs.

What I could not achieve, is a fat electric sound of a power chord that is lasting and then play acoustic rhythm sounds over it. As one uses usually more than one cord in a song, it must be possible to end the lasting sound while changing to the next chord - which should be lasting again. Just imagine two players perform it, then the idea get's clear, I hope.

I tried things like a looong reverb, with no pre-delay and near to 100% mix in path A, and acoustic rhythm sounds in path B but the sound I get out of A is a reverbed sound and not a lasting original sound. I just want to play that chord, stop playing on guitar, but the sound should last in Helix until I stop it by lowering the volume or changing the snapshot, the mix or whatever. With that sound available, I could then play over it with acoustic sound.

Anyone have an idea, trick or effect in Helix, which might help here?

• 2 weeks later...

THX for this idea and link. Quite amazing how it works. Although it's not the solution for my "problem" , because it is the sound of the reverb in a huge room / cave or whatever.

With clear sounds this might be usable and gives an interesting background sound. With distortion sounds there is a big difference between the original sound of the stroke and the reverbed sound, which becomes more a noise than a sound.

Play a power cord with distortion sound on a guitar with very good sustain and hold it - that is what I need, but lasting longer.  EXH freeze delivers more the long reverb of the cord when you  don't hold the sustain on the guitar.

8 hours ago, rbum said:

THX for this idea and link. Quite amazing how it works. Although it's not the solution for my "problem" , because it is the sound of the reverb in a huge room / cave or whatever.

With clear sounds this might be usable and gives an interesting background sound. With distortion sounds there is a big difference between the original sound of the stroke and the reverbed sound, which becomes more a noise than a sound.

Play a power cord with distortion sound on a guitar with very good sustain and hold it - that is what I need, but lasting longer.  EXH freeze delivers more the long reverb of the cord when you  don't hold the sustain on the guitar.

Yeah, unfortunately this is one of the effects that you still have to go to the original source for. I have an EHX freeze pedal and I'd love to see it implemented into the Helix architecture, but for now, the only thing as good as a EHX Freeze is just ANOTHER EHX Freeze (or a Plus Pedal, or Superego, etc.).

Maybe someday. Sure seems like it would be stupidly easy to do compared to some effects, but I'm also completely clueless so that doesn't mean it is.