Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V 20 - iOS

srabremix

I hope so too. The V20 is a bit different though with a micro USB connection and no switch between iOS and Android/PC.
Also, the information provided on the page below is not entirely correct.

Spider V 20 Specs

• 20 watts
  • 1x8" custom speaker and tweeter
  • Weight: 11 lbs.
  • Dimensions: H: 13"" W: 12.2" D: 8.3"
  • 1/4" Guitar input and 1/8" Stereo Aux input      -     Wrong! There's no Aux input
  • 1/4" Headphone output     -     Wrong! There's a 1/8" Headphone output
  • USB Micro-B

• 4 weeks later...

I finally bought one and I’m really happy with how the amp sounds, especially when using headphones.

I still haven’t gotten around to try the Spider remote app, since I don’t have any cable or adapter from lightning to micro USB and the Camera connection kit from Apple is, as suspected, expensive.

Anybody on this forum with experience from the V20 and Spider remote iOS? What cables and or adapters do you use?

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:25 AM, srabremix said:

I'm planning on buying the Spider V 20 and have a few questions about connecting it to an iOS-device.

Do I really need the Apple Camera Connection kit or will it work with any kind of Lightning to Micro-USB adapter?

Unfortunately the answer to that is usually yes, you need the special cord. You see, it's not just that the cord is a lightning to micro USB adapter - it's also wired in a very specific way that tells your iPad it needs to operate as a USB host device.  Now, there's nothing special about the Apple cord - that's why the android cord is $7. It's just that everything Apple is over priced. 

If you can find a cheaper cord which claims to do the exact same thing as the official Apple one there is a good chance it will work, but the dilemma is finding one. 

I bought the official Apple adapter and it’s working great.

But, I do have some issues with the Spider remote app.

I can edit and save tones to the amps preset slots. 16 are available on the knob selector and then a bunch of sound banks which can be accessed from the app.

I can try out different tones from the cloud and access previously saved “My Tones”.

However, I can’t save to “My Tones” or publish my own to Line 6 Cloud while connected to the amp. I click the correct menu option but nothing happens.

I need to unplug the iPad or iPhone and restart the app to be able to do that. Unfortunately, since the app starts up with a default amp and tone all the tone editing is lost.

The only way to save my tones to “My Tones” is to set them up by chance or memory, without being able to listen to them before saving them.

Anyone else have this problem?

Not sure if this applies to all models or just the V20, which is a bit different with a micro USB connection instead of “regular” USB.

I haven’t yet tried the PC software to see if the problem occurs there as well.

6 hours ago, srabremix said:

I bought the official Apple adapter and it’s working great.

But, I do have some issues with the Spider remote app.

I can edit and save tones to the amps preset slots. 16 are available on the knob selector and then a bunch of sound banks which can be accessed from the app.

I can try out different tones from the cloud and access previously saved “My Tones”.

However, I can’t save to “My Tones” or publish my own to Line 6 Cloud while connected to the amp. I click the correct menu option but nothing happens.

I need to unplug the iPad or iPhone and restart the app to be able to do that. Unfortunately, since the app starts up with a default amp and tone all the tone editing is lost.

The only way to save my tones to “My Tones” is to set them up by chance or memory, without being able to listen to them before saving them.

Anyone else have this problem?

Not sure if this applies to all models or just the V20, which is a bit different with a micro USB connection instead of “regular” USB.

I haven’t yet tried the PC software to see if the problem occurs there as well.

I'll try to experiment tonight.  I've never tried to publish my stuff because I'm fairly certain it's never going to impress anyone.  However, I have saved presets to the amp, but I used the PC to do that, not the app.  I typically use the app only as a way to change tones on the fly beyond what's in the presets.

I'll keep you updated . . .

57 minutes ago, srabremix said:

Have you had a chance to try it out yet?

I apologize, it's been one of those times where I've been away from the guitar and amp with no time to mess around, but I'll for sure be able to this weekend.  I'll keep you posted. 

3 hours ago, srabremix said:

Have you had a chance to try it out yet?

Hmmm.  It seemed to work just fine for me, but that's not to say I didn't run into issues.  The issue I kept running into is that it would say "invalid token" and wouldn't let me do anything.  It wasn't until I logged back out of the app and then logged back in that it would let me do it.

Once I did it worked just fine.  In fact, it was kind of cool because it had my Firehawk presets available too. Wasn't expecting that but it was fun. 

Here's the steps I followed:

1. Log out and log back in.

2. Touch "edit" menu. 

3. Create tone. 

4. Touch "details" menu. 

5. Touch "disk" image. 

6. Touch "Save to my tones as."

Then it worked just fine.  At which step does yours hang? 

It’s at the “share” symbol.

It keeps flashing/fading in and out as if it’s working or something. I select “Save to My Tones”, the progress wheel/circle flashes quickly, then nothing else happens.

If I repeat the procedure while not connected to the amp, a small green banner on the bottom of the screen shows up, saying “saved successfully” or something similar.

I am using iOS 12.1 with the simple Apple adapter with only a USB in the other end, without an extra ligthnimg port for charging.

18 hours ago, srabremix said:

I’ll try the Spider remote on Windows and see how that turns out. Did you use the iOS app for the latest test?

Unfortunately I bought the adaptor for the android phone instead of the IOS adaptor because it was cheaper and I was broke.  I still intend to buy the IOS one.

My hope was the apps would work similarly. Typically Line 6 has tweaked their Apple version first rather than the android one, so if it works in android usually it works in IOS.

Your experience so far would seem to argue otherwise though.

• 2 weeks later...

I've now tried the amp with Android (Samsung Galaxy S8) and PC.

The android version works as intended. I can set the tone I want and then save it to either the amp, My Tones or publish it to the community cloud.

On PC I can edit the tone and save it to the amp and also save a preset or the entire amp library as a file on the PC.

Unfortunately I can't seem to access any kind of cloud stored tones.

iOS still has trouble saving to My Tones or to publish it in the cloud while connected to the amp.

I have the same issue with iOS (not being able to save edited tones to “my tones”). I posted a review today on the App Store asking for help. Hopefully someone will be able to solve the problem. 

On 1/14/2019 at 9:15 AM, srabremix said:

iOS still has trouble saving to My Tones or to publish it in the cloud while connected to the amp.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Spider V30; I found that it is far more reliable to edit your tones with a laptop than the phone.

This is how I operate: download presets from the cloud and pick the best ones (4) and save it to the users slots.

Open Spider remote on your laptop and edit away, even while you are playing. The Laptop can save your presets to the amp. additionally, you can save individual presets to the laptop hard drive , or do "backup" and save all the presets at once.

One bad thing: If you use the same laptop to play backing track, it will play thru the amp. I could be useful for some, but I use a second laptop.

Hope that helps

On 1/30/2019 at 3:42 PM, kingplank said:

One bad thing: If you use the same laptop to play backing track, it will play thru the amp. I could be useful for some, but I use a second laptop.

That’s probably because your computer sets the amp as the default playback device when you plug it it. You can change that manually so that you can edit the tones and still play music through your desired audio device.