Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx Stomp: 4CM or DIR?

akalchschmid

Hi all,

I am fairly new here, and have a question regarding how to best connect my Hx Stomp (which I have ordered on Friday, and which should arrive this week :)))))

So,I have a Line 6 Spider Valve amp, i.e. a tube preamp, a modelling section, and a tube main amp. What would be the best way to connect the stomp? Using the DIR in method? Or the 4 Cable Method?

And what are the advantages and disadvantages of both? Any help here would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Kalle

The only reason to bother with the 4CM is if you want to have the option of getting your basic tone from the Spider, as opposed to the amp models in the Stomp. If you have no intention of doing that, then the 4CM only accomplishes 1 thing: using more cables, lol.

If the amp is to be used only for power, and assuming it has an FX loop, then just run straight from the Stomp into the FX return, NOT the front of the amp. 

• Like 1

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

So, is that (run straight from the Stomp into the FX return) the “Powered Speakers“-connection method described in the manual?

That I'm loosing the pre-amp section of my amp this way won't matter, I mean to the overall sound and volume?

Sorry, these are probably really noob questions...

1 hour ago, akalchschmid said:

Ok, so I set the L/mono output to “line level“ and route it to the “FX return“ of my amp, correct?

Do I add Cab simulation? As my amp has a cab already I mean?

You're gonna hate this answer, but it's the truth. The answer is . . .  it depends. Same with the 4 cable method.

I personally think that whenever you can, you should use the HX Stomp as a DSP EXPANDER rather than the sole DSP unit. This helps reduce the impact of having only 6 blocks and three buttons. Now, I like Line 6 effects across the board, so if I were to do it, I'd do as the above suggests. I would set my amp to model the distortion, amp, AND cab and then stick my HX Stomp in the effects loop for post amp effects. I'd try that first and see if you like it. If you don't, I'd move on to the other options. Below are the four options I see:

1. Use your spider for pre amp distortion, amp, and cabinet effects. Hook the HX Stomp into the Effects loop and use it for post effects. This is simply the easiest way to do it. It's the way I use my Line 6 Firehawk 1500 with the HX Stomp.

2. Set your amp to neutral flat response and do ALL of it with the HX Stomp (no amp, no effects, no cab - just nothing). This method is also simple. You set the amp up as described, plug your guitar into the Stomp, plug your Stomp into the amp, and see what you think of it. OR plug your guitar into the amp, and the HX Stomp into the effects loop, but again the Stomp handles it all.  The two approaches usually sound slightly different. See which you prefer.

3. The reversal of option 1 above. Use your HX stomp to be the pre amp distortion, amp, and cab. Use your amp for the post amp effects (delay, chorus, reverb). I don't recommend this at all because the HX Stomp has a far superior post effect selection, but hey, different strokes.

4. Four cable method - Mix and match with the amp. You can use your HX Stomp to do pre distortion, and post effects while your amp does the amp and cab effects. Or have the HX Stomp do pre distortion, amp, but no cab while your amp does the cab, and the HX Stomp does post effects.  This method works and some people REALLY swear by it - but I gotta be honest, at least with modeling, I think it's way overrated.

You're the ultimate authority on your ear though, so try them out and see what you prefer.

Thanks a lot for the detailed posts here!

It finally arrived and I did some testing today. So, directly going into the power amp in is the best option for me here.

When going directly in the amp (where the guitar usually goes), or using the 4cm, both methods the moddeling of the Spider Valve mess up the sound.

But going into the power amp... GREAT sound! :)

• Like 1