Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Play along from cell phone/wireless??

jcs2179

Hey boys,
I'm new to modeling; that's the fact. No sense in beating around the bush! In fact, after many years of abandoning guitar altogether, at 52yo, I feel like I'm new to guitar too . Muscle memory is slowly clearing its own cobwebs, so here I am.  Big Grin 

I'm investigating the purchase of a  L6 Helix or Headrush processors as a clean, all-inclusive, hopefully clutter-free solution! 
These units both seem to have plenty of power and I/O's for pretty much ANY application you can dream up, and certainly much more than I'll ever need....

On the Headrush groups, I was surprised to learn there are wide spread complaints of reliability issues, specially with their USB ports hardware....at least many many owners are reporting that issue. Many firmware /updating issues also, and certainly some warranty (or lack of) response issues. Who knows...to be fair, I love the HR big fat screen and intuitive tablet-like approach, and also the HR Unit has an 1/8" input to use with your cell phone/MP3 to play along to learn new songs and practice at home. This last one to me has great value and something I absolutely will use. 

So here it comes...how does the L6 HELIX unit work to play along with music stored on cell phones to use apps like Spotify??

If I could, I'd love to be wireless altogether. I see L6 Amplify amps are bluetooth enable, but meh....they ain't no Helix! 

Thank you guys. This forum is very helpful. Great Administrators too. Good job. 

***As a typical newb, if I'm posting this on a subject that has been beaten to death, please direct me to the right thread. But as a new guy, I also promise I've done a ton of reading in this forum already and I'm not finding anything specifically related***

***I've decided to go with a L6 PowerCab PLUS speaker too. I'd love to hear any thoughts on that too please. Thank you again!***

22 minutes ago, zolko60 said:

Get the bluetooth audio receiver

Thank you for quick response...I don't want to sound (more??) idiotic, but what are we talking about here?? can u expand a little?

I get the 3.5mm to the 2TS 1/4" and into the 1-2 RETURNS output thou...

On 11/28/2018 at 7:12 PM, jcs2179 said:

Thank you for quick response...I don't want to sound (more??) idiotic, but what are we talking about here?? can u expand a little?

I get the 3.5mm to the 2TS 1/4" and into the 1-2 RETURNS output thou...

Below is an excellent transmitter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07BQYYDNJ/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

Using the 1/2 Returns method means you have to set that up on every preset you want to use. Bluetooth headphones have way too much latency.

If you use the Helix as your AI (Audio Interface) with a proper internet connected computer, Spotify and Youtube will play back over USB1/2 directly to the headphone out (bypasses the signal chain). If you get pro-grade guitar (at least G10) and IEM wireless you should have negligible latency.

Downside - Pro-grade wireless stuff, especially IEM rigs, ain't cheap!

9 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

If you get pro-grade guitar (at least G10)

I own SHURE GLX-D wireless now. YOu are right. They were almost $400, and overkill for a home player like me, but I do love it and I've ZERO issues with it. I even use 5 different transmitters (1 on each guitar) with one base pedal and its been great. Easy as pie to set up and go. I know L6 makes good quality wireless too, but I'm keeping SHURE, for sure :)

27 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

This is a cool tool....but just to clarify, I'm OK NOT being wireless with my phone to the HELIX. I don't use headphones, so anyway to connect the phone to play along with Spotify would prolly be my goal.   

18 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Using the 1/2 Returns method means you have to set that up on every preset you want to use...

...and an easier way???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcs2179 said:

Again, this was all initially coming from the fact the Headrush unit has a 1/8" AUX which presumably is the easiest, most direct plug and play solution for 'play along' using a cell phone music

If using your phone is mandatory, and you're not interested in recording (or have another AI), then yes, this is the easiest way.

9 hours ago, jcs2179 said:

I am talking about those little bt sticks made by chinese kids :D How latency is related to playing along with spotify? If you play along with Metalica Black Album, so latency is 27 years!
:D

As for playing along with audio from your mobile device (smartphone, tablet, etc.), you will not notice any latency in a bluetooth audio connection. In this scenario, it doesn't matter whether it were 5, 50, or 200 milliseconds of delay. Your perceived real time begins from the moment your speakers in your playback sound system emit the sound --- not when your smartphone initiates the bluetooth transmission of the signal. Any delay in the reception of the bluetooth signal by whatever bluetooth receiver you might choose (to use to connect to the Helix's FX Return 1/2 or FX Return 3/4) will be irrelevant.

The most commonly suggested method to connect a smartphone to the Helix is via the Helix's USB connection. This conveys Stereo digital audio to Helix via USB Channel 1&2. This method requires the Apple camera kit, which I understand is essentially a USB on the go adapter for Apple gear.

If you wish to use an Analog stereo headphone 1/8" jack as found on most all devices -- apple's latest excepted -- simply get a stereo 1/8" TRS to Dual 1/4" L & R TS cable. These are very inexpensive and work wonderfully with the Helix. Also convenient is that via this method you can adjust the playback feed audio on your smartphone. My understanding is that with the apple camera kit method you cannot adjust the audio feed level on the apple iphone. Rather you have to do so on the Helix via the Global I/O for USB channels 1&2. The 1/8" analog stereo method is how I connect my Android or apple iPods to the Helix for playback and this method works great. The headphone jack method also works great to connect your laptop, tablet, computer, CD player, or stereo system all of which have a headphone jack. The USB method works great with a Laptop or Desktop, as well as if you get a stand along audio interface.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MusicLaw said:

As for playing along with audio from your mobile device (smartphone, tablet, etc.), you will not notice any latency in a bluetooth audio connection. In this scenario, it doesn't matter whether it were 5, 50, or 200 milliseconds of delay. Your perceived real time begins from the moment your speakers in your playback sound system emit the sound --- not when your smartphone initiates the bluetooth transmission of the signal. Any delay in the reception of the bluetooth signal by whatever bluetooth receiver you might choose (to use to connect to the Helix's FX Return 1/2 or FX Return 3/4) will be irrelevant.

This makes total sense to me. Thank you! 

1 hour ago, MusicLaw said:

If you wish to use an Analog stereo headphone 1/8" jack as found on most all devices -- apple's latest excepted -- simply get a stereo 1/8" TRS to Dual 1/4" L & R TS cable. These are very inexpensive and work wonderfully with the Helix. Also convenient is that via this method you can adjust the playback feed audio on your smartphone. ....

The 1/8" analog stereo method is how I connect my Android or apple iPods to the Helix for playback and this method works great. 

I also use Android Galaxy phone and older I-Pad so the simple Y-cable adapter is exactly what I was hoping for.....I looked at this??

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/17913364531501302955_5788422151783098097_6136318?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt&gtim=CPHJnZ74qsGUSBD9-sygsP-cujgYsKL1CyIDVVNEKKDWh-AFMP7D9gI&utm_campaign=6136318&gclid=Cj0KCQiAuf7fBRD7ARIsACqb8w4oGTGQPKnjZLjmfSpyLO7i88peORhHXYksPgKifPfQN8NhysEQypsaAlfOEALw_wcB

OR....

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP-153-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B000068O3C

Thank you all for the help. Specially this last post!

In my experience, playing prerecorded music (i.e Spotify, MP3s, YouTube etc) through a guitar cab, either real or simulated, isn't a good experience.

I have an LT and a PowerCab+ - I really like the speaker sims on the PowerCab+, but if I want to play along with music streamed from my laptop over USB, it is much better when I switch the PowerCab+ to FRFR mode, and use an IR or stock cab on the Helix, as the USB audio isn't "muddied" by the speaker/cab sims.

If I didn't have FRFR, I'd much rather just stream audio to a decent bluetooth speaker, quite separate from the guitar cab - at bedroom volume levels, it's more than sufficient and will sound better IMO.

6 hours ago, foxmeister said:

In my experience, playing prerecorded music (i.e Spotify, MP3s, YouTube etc) through a guitar cab, either real or simulated, isn't a good experience.

I have an LT and a PowerCab+ - I really like the speaker sims on the PowerCab+, but if I want to play along with music streamed from my laptop over USB, it is much better when I switch the PowerCab+ to FRFR mode, and use an IR or stock cab on the Helix, as the USB audio isn't "muddied" by the speaker/cab sims.
If I didn't have FRFR, I'd much rather just stream audio to a decent bluetooth speaker, quite separate from the guitar cab - at bedroom volume levels, it's more than sufficient and will sound better IMO.

Yeah, sure, no reason to doubt that. For me it's a convenience thing at this point thou....I'm in a small place, can't crank it up, just getting back into it after many years, blah blah blah....

So having the "smallest" possible set up is a big goal. Helix + PowerCab+ or Helix + FRFR seems like a good idea all the way around, but I can't do both, and I think I can get more overall use out of the PowerCab+, since playing music along from cell phone is not the "primary" goal...does that make sense??

I totally understand what you are trying to relate thou.

(BTW, doesn't the PowerCab+ have a "FRFR mode" also?? or did I miss read that somewhere??)

Thank you guys for all the input. It has been pretty good so far to get ideas and knowledge from this group! I do appreciate it! 

7 hours ago, jcs2179 said:

Yeah, sure, no reason to doubt that. For me it's a convenience thing at this point thou....I'm in a small place, can't crank it up, just getting back into it after many years, blah blah blah....

So having the "smallest" possible set up is a big goal. Helix + PowerCab+ or Helix + FRFR seems like a good idea all the way around, but I can't do both, and I think I can get more overall use out of the PowerCab+, since playing music along from cell phone is not the "primary" goal...does that make sense??

I totally understand what you are trying to relate thou.

(BTW, doesn't the PowerCab+ have a "FRFR mode" also?? or did I miss read that somewhere??)

Thank you guys for all the input. It has been pretty good so far to get ideas and knowledge from this group! I do appreciate it! 

Flat mode is FRFR mode.