Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can you use power amp modeling only?

djpgreek

I have an external preamp (Kingsley Maiden D) I want to put in the Helix FX Loop and use in conjunction with a power amp model in Helix and an IR of my choosing.

How can you do this in Helix? I get the FX loop block and the IR block....but how do I set up JUST the power amp model?

5 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

If you search on Ideascale, separation of preamps from amps has been proposed, and you can add your vote!

Won't hurt, I suppose...but guys have been asking for this option since the POD days...I suspect that if L6 were at all inclined to go to the trouble, we would have seen it some time ago.

8 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Won't hurt, I suppose...but guys have been asking for this option since the POD days...I suspect that if L6 were at all inclined to go to the trouble, we would have seen it some time ago.

Nothing's impossible for the tone docs at L6.....after all, we finally got a good tuner.....and I'm not giving up on my free pony!

I'd think it be pretty easy to do, or at least have a "full" amp model with a full-range front end (input gain and EQ with no voicings, like a hi-fi stereo) and selectable power amp voicings. Even something generic like "American Clean, American High Gain, British Clean, British High Gain" etc. I think Boss even used to have a "full-range" amp in the GT stuff for that purpose.

16 minutes ago, djpgreek said:

Dude if Mooer can cram 4 power amp models that are pretty decent in the Radar pedal, Line 6 can do it. It's silly that I can't just use power amp simulation with a cab or IR of choice, but can use their preamp with something external. 

Nobody's saying it's impossible... and "silly" or no, I wouldn't hold your breath. 

4 hours ago, zolko60 said:

Cab (reverb) IR are not good enough nor proper technology to get "amp coloring". You get only its EQ an phase shifts. If modeling a whole amp successfuly happens, so modelling preamp and power amp can also happen.

The question is not "can they do it?"... it's "will they do it?". Guys have been asking for separate power amp models for years on end, to no avail. The smart money says it's gonna stay that way. 

i have had this before when i was using the pre-amp from my dual rectifier to a pa. and the poweramp characteristics were missing.

Best solution i found was to put an amp block after your pre-amp block or send/return to real pre-amp and adjust it to zero gain and tweak from there.

It definitely helps,no perfect but works pretty well,another thing you could do is use a mic pre-amp to add some warmth etc.

But yeh,the Helix is definetly lacking in power amp sims...also needs to catch up with the amps aswell,so many amps out there that we need!!!!

4 hours ago, pete1975 said:

i have had this before when i was using the pre-amp from my dual rectifier to a pa. and the poweramp characteristics were missing.

Best solution i found was to put an amp block after your pre-amp block or send/return to real pre-amp and adjust it to zero gain and tweak from there.

It definitely helps,no perfect but works pretty well,another thing you could do is use a mic pre-amp to add some warmth etc.

But yeh,the Helix is definetly lacking in power amp sims...also needs to catch up with the amps aswell,so many amps out there that we need!!!!

Or maybe a tube compressor?

What amps do we "need" though? As it is there's more than most people will ever use, unless you're literally just sitting at home making tones from different amp models instead of playing guitar. I'd rather see companies work on NEW ways of processing a guitar signal (or coming up with original "amp" models that eliminate a lot of the warts that tube amps display like noise floor). 90% of amps are all just variations on a handful of circuits anyways.

Power amp modeling would be useful since the Helix aspires to be a complete guitar rig or control center for a rig with outboard gear, which I would think includes preamps.

Someone on this forum posted that they use the mic pre to help with that tube feel. Works pretty good. Agreed on seeing new ways of processing. All in all, yes I can use the full amp modeling and it's great. I just wish we could have something like...EL84s, KT66s, EL34s, 6V6s kind of the way Torpedo CAB, Amplifirebox and Mooer are doing it. 

• Upvote 1